• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Meet Worley (and me)

Chelsey

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello there everyone.

So not only am I new to these forums, I'm also new to being a beardie parent (as of only a few hours ago).

This is my new baby. His name is Worley.
299807_10150800634995413_714950412_20697335_1550611935_n.jpg

I'm new to having a reptile as a pet, but I've been doing a good bit of reading up on things.

I'm quite confused because I've been told a few different things.
The pet store that I got Worley at told me to not feed him until tomorrow morning, which then I'm supposed to give him 2-3 mealworms. I've read that they shouldn't have mealworms at all. I was also told to not feed him every day and what I've been reading is that he should be fed (crickets) 2-3 times a day.

Also, misting, yes or no? How (I know it might be an obvious question)?

Feeding fruits/veggies: which ones? how old should he be before I start that?

I know new water in his shallow dish every day. I was told to get the Zilla Basic Desert Kit, which included 10G (20L,10W,12H) glass terrarium, fresh air screen cover, (2) 5.5" dome light fixtures, day white light spot, night black heat blub, terrarium liner, and humidity/temperature gauge. I also bought a rock hiding place (as seen in picture above), a shallow water dish, and a half log for Worley to climb on and/or hid under. I'm going to get a food dish and some crickets tomorrow (I only have a small thing of mealworms, 50 in total I believe).

Is there anything else I need?
A 18" Reptisun 10.0 linear florescent tube UV was suggested to me. Would that replace the two lights I have now (or at least the day one)?

I am open to any and all advice / tips or tricks of the beardie parent trade.
Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me out. :)

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. Meal worms no there shell is to hard to digest stick with crickets, as many as he can eat in 10 to 15 min. Offer green daily although he may not eat them there main diet as babbies is insect and that will change as they get older and eat more veggies. Never feed anything larger then the space between there eyes cuz this can cause impaction and kill your little guy. Here is a ling to foods to offer him. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html I Use a 40 to 60 what household bulb for heat. you want there basking temp around 100 to 110 and the cool side at 80. The reptisun 10.0 florescent tube is awesome for UV. If you keep water in the viv change it everyday what i dont like about that is it can raise the humidity to high causing heatlh issue, i perfer bathing mine daily. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask anything thats what the site is for.

Chelsey

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well that confirms what I've been reading, not what the pet store told me. :(

How many crickets would you suggest buying at a time?
How do you go about feeding the crickets? I've read that if you put them in the cage, you need to find left overs and take them out at lights out. Or feed them in a seperate container (I've seen video of it being done in a bath tub. Read that any tuberware big enough is good. How about a cardboard box or shoe box?)

I placed the humidity/temperature gauge (from the kit) in the center, close to the bottom of the cage (as the set-up suggested). It's been reading 80 degrees. But if Worley is basking on top of the rock (closer to the light) is it okay? I was thinking of buying a better gauge, or at least a second one so I could have one on each side.

Some kind of UV is needed right? If I don't buy the blub is there another way for Worley get what he needs from UV?

How do you bath yours? Is the water dish even "needed"?

How early can you handle a beardie? I was told to not take him out until Monday, just so he can get used to his new home, but I just wanna hold him. Ha.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
How many depends on how easy access you can get them. you can figure a baby can eat up to 30 or 40 crickets a day So thats all a matter of how often you want to run to your local pet shop. I dont keep water dishes in any of my vivs i just fill up the sink to about shoulder level of my BD with warm water and let them soak. most of the time they will poo and drink while bathing. The easiest way to feed is in a separate container saves on trying to dig left over crickets out. The veggies can be left in there for the day. UV is a must for them to properly absorb calcium with out it they can develop MBD (metabolic bone disease). If you just got your BD id would give him a cpl days to settle in before handling it will help reduce the stress of a new enclosure. Hope this helps.

monature

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You will soon realize that your Beardie has stolen your heart. 2 years ago I didnt even know what a BD was, now my Spike and Lizzie are my Babies, cant remember what it was like without them. You will learn alot on here. Good Luck and Welcome:)

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
yeah i had my beardie Jessie for 12 weeks tormorrow and i got my snuggle tonight i took him out of tank and he fell alseep on my chest just put him back in tank a min ago

Missy

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi Chelsey! Welcome to the site. Worley is just all out adorable! And indeed, the pet shop does NOT know what they are doing. At all. Be sure also that for his/her size, you get PIN HEAD sized or even SMALL crickets. Worley cannot have anything that is larger than the space between his/her eyes.

As for watering, I personally do the misting every couple of days, along with soaks in a dish tub. I will use a small cup to pour a bit of water down Gobi's back, and use a toothbrush to get grime off his chin and "massage" him.

You will need a basking light AND also a UV light (or two, or the kind that stretch the length of the cage).

Chelsey

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You will soon realize that your Beardie has stolen your heart. 2 years ago I didnt even know what a BD was, now my Spike and Lizzie are my Babies, cant remember what it was like without them. You will learn alot on here. Good Luck and Welcome:)

He already has stolen my heart. :)
I felt like a new mom when I saw him sleeping last night. So cute.

Thanks everyone for the welcomes. I feel so, well, welcomed. Ha.

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi Chelsey! Worley is adorable!! Glad that you found us on here! I am still a noobie to beardies, and everyone on here has been so helpful!!

Missy

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
In case you were all worried, Worley now has crickets (and the proper stuff to dust-coat them) and a UV light.

Yayy.

I'm so glad! Did you get the dust with or without the D3? Reason I ask is because, especially if he will NOT be permitted outdoors, or VERY rarely be allowed out in the natural sunlight, then it is imperative that you have the D3 suppliment that is added in to the Calcium Powder that you use to dust your crickets and/or other BD food sources with.

Chelsey

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
with D3. :D I do hope to take him outside but I'm afraid right now since he's so small.
Worley did sit in my plam as I held him in the sun rays that come through my bedroom window at sunset. That was after I gave him his first bath (which he didn't seem to like so much). Any tips on that?

Missy

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Just keep up with them...As he gets bigger, and sees it as a part of his routine, he will get used to having them. I cannot guarantee "liking" them. But he will tolerate that he HAS TO take them.

Talk to him in a quiet and soothing voice and tone as you are bathing him. Don't make fast and sudden moves. Let it be a quiet, relaxing time for the both of you.

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yep, hang in there~~you never know what bathtime may become!!!
LOL! I wish it could be relaxing for us! when i put the dragon in the tub, i think he is Trying to splash!! he doesn't panic or look unhappy, he just gets Very active!! that draws the attention of most of the house and then i have 2 dogs and a 10 year old also trying to get in the tub!
:) Luckily, everyone is happy so that's all that matters!

Latest posts