• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

medical question

Jiffy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks Janie!

Jiffy said:
Thanks Sandi, Craig and Sandra!

And Crap Sandy! I just realized I spelled your name wrong in my previous post. Sorry

Jiffy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks everybody. I am home and things went well. Just resting for now.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
GOOD JIF!!! Wanna know ALL the GORY details though. Like how they did it and if you were out. Maybe a pic of the knee!!

WHAT......?????

Inquiring minds want to know!!! :D

Jiffy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
LOL, sorry Vesta, it is all bandaged up, I havent seen it yet. But he did tell Butch that he had to only put one whole since the screws were so close together. And I think it is only about 1/2 inch or so. So it wont be really interesting! LOL

I do have a nice pic from my knee surgery last year, but not so sure you all want to see that.

Jiffy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
OH, and Vesta, I was out, they didnt put me really deep under, but enough that I have no clue what happened and I was asleep the whole time. (I think maybe like when they do a colonoscopy, you are out, but not out out!)

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
OH JEN!!! You KNOW I do!!! LOL!!!

Does it hurt any?

They had better put me completely out if they plan on sticking anything up my rear and looking around!!! I'm JUST SAYING!!! :eek: My girl friend just told me that a mutual friend who works for an undertaker just told her that they have had 3 deaths recently from botched colonoscopies. They accidently puncture the colon and waste seeped into the body. Guessing massive infections!!! I was supposed to get one when I was 50 but I am such a prude I haven't done it yet. You are young to have already had one!!!

Glad it was such a tiny incision though!! : )

Jiffy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Some people may be freaked out by the pic. I will see if I still have your email and send it to you.

That is really scary that 3 people have died from colonoscopies lately (in just one town or whatever).
I have had 6 stomach surgeries since I was about 3 years old. My stomach looks like a big ole mess. I have 2 belly buttons and about a foot long scar. I have polyps in my intestines, and some rare stomach disease. They do colonoscopies on me every few years, and I hate it!!

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
OH MY GOODNESS!!! Jen!!! I didn't know that!! :eek: Since I became a member on my beardie forums I have met so many nice people. But I have never had so many friends that have suffered through so many illnesses or had such severe back injuries. I'm thinking that maybe because you have suffered you are more compassionate than most others so able to open your hearts to these spiky little guys!!

I need not complain about my little stuff!!

Are you all better now?

Jiffy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well, the polyps still grow, but the last time that I had to have emergency surgery was in 1996. I was in the hospital 10 days that time. When I was younger, and before medical advancements were like they are now, I used to have to stay a month at a time. I would have to go for 3 weeks or so with NOTHING by mouth. I HATED that!! I like to eat!
They hope to keep them cleaned out with colonoscopies now.. Unless it gets really big and I get sick. I almost bled to death internally when I was about 3 years old. OK, I have whined enough now! ;)

And I do love my scaly babies, I dont know what drove me to them, but I do.

p.s. Vesta, I emailed you a pic of my knee! Let me know if you think it is sexy! LOL

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Jen, go ahead and post your "war scars" here... I wanna see how it differs from last year when you had those installed.
Glad you came through like a trooper !
Hope the Pain stops soon!

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Vesta...you really should go get that done. I had one in December, not long after I turned 40, and my doctor wanted to know why I hadn't had one, yet. Granted, I've got some other issues driving it as well as a family history with colon cancer....so the question was warranted. Clean bill of health, though. Doctor told me if everybody's looked as good as mine, he'd be out of a job. Some of the best news I've received in a long time.

Now to get the upper GI endoscopy....which I desperately need to do. Things are getting pretty bad where that's concerned. :(

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
OH NO Jen!!! You sure have had your faor share of stuff!! : (

You too Craiger!! The thing with someone like me is whenever something small goes wrong I think I am dying and think it is so unfair that I can't do what I want. I have NO idea what it really means to be sick like that. I have had my share of back pain. But nothing like what you all have endured.

And Craiger!! I know I do. I just cringe at the thought of strangers touching me and movinng me about. And then there are the dreaded scales I must first get on. And the lecture that will surely follow!! : (

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah, but that stuff is all cake compared to the alternative. If it helps motivate you, my Grandma wouldn't go to the doctor to get checked out because of certain fears. She died at 56 from breast cancer. :'(

Jiffy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Here is a link (if it works correctly) to the incision from Wednesday. The 2 arrows were drawn when the dr located the screws by xray, to make sure they were going in the right place.
If the link does not work, copay and past the whole thing in your address bar.
(I didnt post the pic so that if you dont want to see, you dont have to)

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa278/JIffypics/scar.jpg

Here is a link to the incision from last year
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa278/JIffypics/IMG00242-1.jpg

and a link to the xray from last year with screws in place
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa278/JIffypics/IMG00243-1.jpg

Jiffy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
and here are my screws that they took out Wednesday
screws-1.jpg

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
OK!!! First off the X rays are just cool!!!

The operation looks like it just hurt like crazy!!!! OWWW!!!! That must have been awful for you!!

The stitching looks nice and clean and I am glad those screw are out and you don't ever have to worry about them again!!

And speaking of those screws!!! They were HUGE!!! I had no idea they would be that big!! Did he let you keep them as a souvenir? Nice and clean though!!! How long were they in?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow... Those were LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOng screws !

Everything looks really neat this time though. How's it feeling ?

Jiffy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
LOL, I had no idea that those screws would actually be that long either. I was surprised. Yes, they did let me keep the screws. When I woke up in the recovery room, they were on my side table in a little container. ;D
The operation last year was pretty bad, and I was out of work for 13 weeks. It took me months and months before I did not walk like a pirate!
I am already walking better now after this surgery than I was anytime since my last surgery.

They put the screws in on June 9th last year, so they were in for about a year and 2.5 months. Way too long! I am so relieved!
Happy dance!! ;D

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Congratulations, Jen! VERY glad to hear some good news.

We'd probably be surprised to find out what all they put inside us during surgery.

Latest posts