• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

mealworms

wtbullins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
is it just dried mealworms that are a no-no for feeding? I have some small mealworms that are alive, could I feed him those?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
All mealworms are a no-no...they have a tough outer shell that can be difficult for a beardie to digest. plus they do not offer any nutritional value for bearded dragons.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Now if you were to get some leo geckos.. those mealies would be a nice meal !
Janie

wtbullins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
How about silk worms for beardies? Are they nutritional for them. Also I was skimming through the care sheet from the main website and in the feeding section it talks in multiple places about feeding mealworms. I'm confused...are there different types of mealworms or am I reading something wrong?

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Silkworms are not mealworms. They are different and are okay to feed them. Some say they dont like to feed them due to a virus they can pass along. But they dont have the high chitin like mealies.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry, chitin is the "outer shell". Mealies have a very hard outer body. Beardies can not digest it properly.

wtbullins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks, and thats what I thought, but what I'm wondering about is why the care sheet talks about feeding mealworms under the feeding section. Just curious.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mis information is everywhere.
That's why we help others to understand the good, the bad, and the to be avoided, from personal experience or just basic science.
Janie

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am on my phone so i cant look at that. I am
not sure what it says on the caresheet, but personally i DO NOT suggest mealies at all. You can use crickets, silkies, and some use roaches. When i can i will look at the caresheet, but i know the one i use does not recommend mealies.

wtbullins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thanks for the info...yeah I suggest you take a look at the one people give newbies such as myself on this forum..Feeding section under "bugs".

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Do me a favor...link me to where you saw that, please.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The caresheet on the main site was a donation from dachiu. An update is in the process to have information supported by the beliefs of the web site. I apologize for conflicting information.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Granted mealworms have a thick exoskeleton and that is the reason that the idea of not using them as feeders came about. But as to their nutritional value, I do believe that this information may be slightly askewed. I have looked into this often and it would appear to me that per most breakdown charts I have found the Mealworm is not very different from a Superworm (nutritionally speaking)

Mealworm Breakdown
59% moisture, 13% fat, 10% protein, 1% ash

Superworm Breakdown
59% moisture, 16% fat, 20% protein, 1% ash

Supers are slightly higher in fat while mealworms are lower in protein. Compared to other feeder insects neither are high on the nutritional scale but to say that mealies are a bad feeder due to nutritional content is incorrect. And I plan to try and search out any real proof that the chitin of a mealworm is any harder to digest than that of a super. I think it may be a "myth" that was propagated by responsible keepers due to people feeding mealies to babies that were not heated properly and thus resulted in impaction. Just my .02 cents. If I find something to the contrary I will post it.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
wtbullins

That is why the forums are a good place for information. If you read or hear something you can come on a forum, start a thread, and get the information that has been compiled from people who have been dealing with beardies for years. Even on great forums, caresheets need updated. Many times it is one or two people (who have lives other than forums) that take care of all of the forum and information on caresheets and such. I had a feeling even before Renee posted that the case was she was changing some of the info. dachiu was around even before I started with beardies. A lot of information has changed since that time.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am not sure of their nutitional value. It truly didn't matter to me whether or not the were or weren't nutritious since I never used them on with a beardie. I do know that they are widely fed with leopard geckos, so you are right, they must have some nutrional value.

That said...regardless of the values, I still would never recommend them for a beardie.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
li said:
I am not sure of their nutitional value. It truly didn't matter to me whether or not the were or weren't nutritious since I never used them on with a beardie. I do know that they are widely fed with leopard geckos, so you are right, they must have some nutrional value.

That said...regardless of the values, I still would never recommend them for a beardie.

And that is a fine choice. But do you feed supers? As there truly is not a huge difference between the two. And please do not think I am trying to start an argument because I am not. Just would prefer to push the truth than a made up "boogyman" story.

Latest posts