• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mealworms for Bearded Dragons

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Personally if I hear even one bad thing about something I just play the safe route and stay away from it. I prefer to feed my guy dubias over superworms and even if I do feed him superworms it is only has a treat in his salad here and there.

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
It wasn't relocation stress, if happened weeks after i got her and she was fine and pooing every day with the crickets until i fed her mealworms. SHe was truly impacted sure it wasn't terrible but not pooing for 5 days and eating a lot of greens and worms she was lethargic and i could tell it hurt. Thank god after lots of tries i got it out.
M'kay, maybe she was constipated or a little impacted. Don't know for sure.
I have fed her about 2 dozen supers in the last day it this bad? There is nothing else.. at my pet store
Not at all. Like I said, people have raised beardies from babies on only superworms. As long as you're not challenging 6 inch babies to take down 2 inch superworms every day, you shouldn't have any problems.
What i mean by toxic is the delivery people are giving it makes people feel attacked for everything they are doing. People are like NOPE this is bad cant do it! And i feel as if this is toxic. Sure giving advice is great but maybe it needs to be delivered in a good way.
Well, most importantly, the advice has to be correct, not just a parroted list of things that the poster heard was bad and has convinced him/herself to abide by it religiously.

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
Personally if I hear even one bad thing about something I just play the safe route and stay away from it. I prefer to feed my guy dubias over superworms and even if I do feed him superworms it is only has a treat in his salad here and there.
What if a bunch of people said something bad about Dubias? Did you know that Dubias can secrete a defensive chemical in their bodies that increases reptiles' rate of liver failure? Something like that, which someone might read, then parrot, then get it spreading as a thing. It's about as solid as someone making up a 1 year threshold for when beardies can eat superworms.

To me, life isn't about playing it safe; it's about finding the truth and expanding our understanding of it. Everyone knows how to play it safe but people who get ahead always prefer to challenge what we think we know, explore the unknown, and travel the unbeaten path.

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
M'kay, maybe she was constipated or a little impacted. Don't know for sure.

Not at all. Like I said, people have raised beardies from babies on only superworms. As long as you're not challenging 6 inch babies to take down 2 inch superworms every day, you shouldn't have any problems.

Well, most importantly, the advice has to be correct, not just a parroted list of things that the poster heard was bad and has convinced him/herself to abide by it religiously.
Thanks, i just didnt know about supers. :)

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Repeating an unsupported claim does not make it true. Supply scientific evidence for your claim. Others have supplied evidence of beardies NOT being obese despite being put on a mealworm-high diet. What evidence do you plan to use to argue against this data?

That's also proven incorrect as I know a person who raised a healthy beardie feeding only superworms since it was a hatchling, of course, they were small sized superworms.

What changes does a bearded dragon's digestive tract undergo at 1 year old? It sounds like you just heard something weird and swallowed it hook line and sinker without any question. What is required to digest superworm exoskeleton that a bearded dragon does not have before 1 year of age and develops at 1 year of age? Please cite your source for the scientific evidence, otherwise such a claim is just superstition.

I've never heard of anyone raising a beardie on hornworm-heavy diets because they are so expensive but so far, we have evidence from people who have raised beardies on both superworm and mealworm heavy diets without issues so I would say that perhaps unless the dragon is fed an ungodly amount or restricted from exercise, they seem to handle the fat just fine.
It’s fact all over the Internet as well for your info/knowledge. Mealworms are horrible for them; it’s cheap/impacts them. Supers are high in Fat, but good to feed alongside other proteins like crickets & Dubias. Hornworms are to be fed as a treat here and there. What is wrong with crickets & Dubias along with supers? They are very very good protein feeders for your info. I feed mine out of a huge ziplock bag after sprinkling the calcium and they eat out of it; it keeps the tank clean and avoids crickets roaming in the tank. Attached is a synopsis from the Net as well.

Attachments

• E6E456B4-418B-4198-B0AD-0B9D1489566C.jpeg
    E6E456B4-418B-4198-B0AD-0B9D1489566C.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 13

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It’s fact all over the Internet as well for your info/knowledge. Mealworms are horrible for them; it’s cheap/impacts them. Supers are high in Fat, but good to feed alongside other proteins like crickets & Dubias. Hornworms are to be fed as a treat here and there. What is wrong with crickets & Dubias along with supers? They are very very good protein feeders for your info. I feed mine out of a huge ziplock bag after sprinkling the calcium and they eat out of it; it keeps the tank clean and avoids crickets roaming in the tank. Attached is a synopsis from the Net as well.
Here’s another Artcile about Mealworms. High in Fat, Unhealthy, can be addictive & bad for them.

Attachments

• 241702CB-5234-403D-981F-31A01B7CB3E4.png
    241702CB-5234-403D-981F-31A01B7CB3E4.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 12

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
It’s fact all over the Internet as well for your info/knowledge.
There are many incorrect rumors on the internet. And that people can raise healthy beardies is evidence to disprove those rumors. You need to know the difference between a claim and evidence. No matter how many times you or anyone makes a claim, it doesn't become stronger. Only evidence can make a claim stronger. When there is evidence to the contrary, every person in the world can make the same claim but it is still wrong. That's why I search for evidence; I don't just tally the number of people who parrot a claim.
Mealworms are horrible for them; it’s cheap/impacts them.
First of all, cheap is good. You want to spend less, not more to achieve the same effect of feeding your beardie. You can always offer to spend more for mealworms and I'm sure no one would refuse your money.

Secondly, if you say that it impacts them, but people show that they can raise healthy non-impacted bearded dragons on them, that proves you wrong. Rather, what impacts them is probably circumstances of people overfeeding large numbers of large mealworms to small dragons causing impaction. There is no evidence that consistently feeding appropriately sized mealworms to appropriately sized dragons in appropriate amounts causes impaction.
Supers are high in Fat, but good to feed alongside other proteins like crickets & Dubias.
They are fatter than mealworms actually, if you reference the chart in my original post. They are good to feed as a staple and that is proven by many people's experience here.
Hornworms are to be fed as a treat here and there.
Interesting rule you made up there. They are usually fed sparingly due to high cost but there is no evidence that using them as a staple has any negative effects. I have used silkworms as staple prey without ill effects.
What is wrong with crickets & Dubias along with supers? They are very very good protein feeders for your info.
Nothing's wrong; I'm not trying to stop people from feeding them. I know they're good but I would like to see if I can reduce hassle and cost while providing bearded dragons ample nutrients nonetheless. Crickets are notoriously smelly, loud, can die off in quickly, and often carry parasites. Dubias, unless you have a running colony, are a very expensive feeder.
I feed mine out of a huge ziplock bag after sprinkling the calcium and they eat out of it; it keeps the tank clean and avoids crickets roaming in the tank.
That's fine, but not the only way that works and not the only feeder that is healthy to feed.
Attached is a synopsis from the Net as well.
That's a screenshot from a random website with no scientific qualifications. It has no value.
Here’s another Artcile about Mealworms. High in Fat, Unhealthy, can be addictive & bad for them.
Just like the last one, there is no scientific qualification or data presented, just a claim. Aside from that, it is not logical. We can see that the source claims that mealworms are low in protein but referring to the chart I posted in the thread-starter, the protein content of mealworms is on par with crickets and superior to that in superworms. Then we visit the claim that mealworms are too fat. From that chart, we see that mealworms contain less fat than superworms and are just over double the protein to fat ratio. Personally, if something is 20 grams protein, 13 grams fat, I consider that healthy for me. There is no scientifically established fat to protein ratio that is considered healthy for bearded dragons as far as I know so just saying that something is fat lacks meaning in this case. Being addictive is wonderful; I want my beardy to love his food. And with that, the "unhealthy" is already debunked.

However, the stand-alone evidence, once again, is that people are raising healthy bearded dragons on mealworms. This is real world data that supersedes all guessing and theory. That people raise healthy beardies on mealworms shows that mealworms are a viable staple food for beardies when fed in the correct size and amount. This is primary evidence and it cannot be disproven by website theories claiming that mealworms are too fat especially when there is no established parameter for what counts as too fat for bearded dragons.

Danjw

Bearded Dragon Egg
That video. They don't look like mealworms we have here in the UK. They look more the size of morio worms.

I got told to not feed as many morio worms and locust as they're high in fat and mix up with mealworms and crickets as they're better in nutritional value.

There is a lot of mixed opinions on EVERYTHING with beardies. I never know what's right or what is wrong and sometimes what you get told is best to go in the middle. Humidity for me what I have been told by a vet, repitile shops and forums and groups... For me the middle line is 40-60% all day round. Humidity is no different at night than day meaning 60% at night is same as 60% in day IMO.

Danjw

Bearded Dragon Egg
What if a bunch of people said something bad about Dubias? Did you know that Dubias can secrete a defensive chemical in their bodies that increases reptiles' rate of liver failure? Something like that, which someone might read, then parrot, then get it spreading as a thing. It's about as solid as someone making up a 1 year threshold for when beardies can eat superworms.

To me, life isn't about playing it safe; it's about finding the truth and expanding our understanding of it. Everyone knows how to play it safe but people who get ahead always prefer to challenge what we think we know, explore the unknown, and travel the unbeaten path.

There is no truth on anything. There is never a middle ground with the information on bearded dragons. There is always a massive gap between this is right and then another source says something completely different.

Most people I've spoke to have said Morio worms but meals worms are almost half in fat as morio get provide the same amount of protein but more moisture according the a website that sells them and has the nutritional value.

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
That video. They don't look like mealworms we have here in the UK. They look more the size of morio worms.
Those are most certainly mealworms (Tenebrio molitor) in the video of the thread-starter. The morio worms you speak of are Zophobas morio, called superworms in the US, and those can easily grow to over 2", which no mealworm could ever naturally come close to. The color is also different as morio worms are tan throughout but very dark brown near the head and tail tip while mealworms are a golden brown all over.
I got told to not feed as many morio worms and locust as they're high in fat and mix up with mealworms and crickets as they're better in nutritional value.
Yeah, everybody says something different. I think most of them are just people trying to sound intelligent and educated ratting off a bunch of rules to show that they know something, but if you think about a bearded dragon's natural diet, these rules make no sense.
There is a lot of mixed opinions on EVERYTHING with beardies. I never know what's right or what is wrong and sometimes what you get told is best to go in the middle. Humidity for me what I have been told by a vet, repitile shops and forums and groups... For me the middle line is 40-60% all day round. Humidity is no different at night than day meaning 60% at night is same as 60% in day IMO.
Because there are so many rumors and people willing to accept rumors as fact without scrutinization, we have this terrible situation. Generally, you have to fact-check by asking if this rumor makes sense with how a bearded dragon lives in the wild and whether people have raised healthy bearded dragons while not following the rumor.
There is no truth on anything. There is never a middle ground with the information on bearded dragons. There is always a massive gap between this is right and then another source says something completely different.
There is definitely truth, but it is buried in false rumors.
Most people I've spoke to have said Morio worms but meals worms are almost half in fat as morio get provide the same amount of protein but more moisture according the a website that sells them and has the nutritional value.
Maybe this will be helpful. It is a scientific paper published in a peer-reviewed journal. It is much more trustworthy than random website claims. Table 1 compares the nutritional content among crickets, mealworms, superworms (morio worms) and waxworms. It makes mealworms look like quite a good feeder nutrition-wise but I would still be careful in choosing the proper size and amount to feed to smaller or weak dragons as I cannot outright dismiss rumors of impaction either. When feeding healthy full-sized adults, I wouldn't worry.

Danjw

Bearded Dragon Egg
Those are most certainly mealworms (Tenebrio molitor) in the video of the thread-starter. The morio worms are Zophobas morio, called superworms in the US and those can grow to over 2", which no mealworm could ever naturally attain. The color is also different as morio worms are tan throughout but very dark brown near the head and tail tip while mealworms are a golden brown all over.

Yeah, everybody says something different.

Because there are so many rumors and people willing to accept rumors as fact without scrutinization, we have this terrible situation. Generally, you have to fact-check by asking if this rumor makes sense with how a bearded dragon lives in the wild and whether people have raised healthy bearded dragons while not following the rumor.

There is definitely truth, but it is buried in false rumors.

Maybe this will be helpful. It is a scientific paper published after peer-review. It is much more trustworthy than random website claims. Table 1 compared the nutritional content among crickets, mealworms, superworms (morio worms) and waxworms. It makes mealworms look like quite a good feeder nutrition-wise but I would still be careful in choosing the proper size and amount to feed to smaller or weak dragons as I cannot outright dismiss rumors of impaction either. When feeding healthy full-sized adults, I wouldn't worry.

That's the issue, sites which sell the food can't actually put nutritional value without it being true. However I've been speaking to an admin on a Facebook group who claims who sources are 'scientifically proven' as she states sugar snap peas, parsnip and rocket is a good staple daily salad but other sources have said snap peas and parsnip is only every other day.

As said, most say humidity is 30-50%, a vet told me 20-40% which seems impossible to achieve and others have said 20-70% and reptile shops have told me not to worry at all about humidity. It's all confusing, especially for new owners which I am but my beardie is almost 6 years old.

The worms I said, they just look different to the mealworms I have and I got told to get them as she was mainly on locust and morio worms and told that's a fatty diet.

This is the info I got
Meal worms
Moisture - 68.0%
Fat - 8.5%
Calcium - 0.02%
Protein - 19.5%
Calcium/Phosphorus Ratio - 0.05%

Morioworms
Moisture - 59.8%
Fat - 15.2%
Calcium - 0.02%
Protein - 19.5%
Calcium/Phosphorus Ratio - 0.10%

Brown Silent Crickets
Moisture - 68.8%
Fat - 9.3%
Calcium - 0.17%
Protein - 16.4%
Calcium/Phosphorus Ratio - 0.77%

Locust
Moisture - 73.2%
Fat - 5.8%
Calcium - 0.04%
Protein - 15.9%
Calcium/Phosphorus Ratio - 0.19%

Wax Worms
Moisture - 59.8%
Fat - 15.2%
Calcium - 0.02%
Protein - 19.5%

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
That's the issue, sites which sell the food can't actually put nutritional value without it being true. However I've been speaking to an admin on a Facebook group who claims who sources are 'scientifically proven' as she states sugar snap peas, parsnip and rocket is a good staple daily salad but other sources have said snap peas and parsnip is only every other day.
I think it's universally recognized that mustard greens and collard greens are excellent staple vegetables. As for other vegetables, generally, if people say it can be fed in moderation, it's totally fine to feed it for weeks if not forever. I assume you'll want to switch the veggie after a week or 2 anyway since you won't want to just eat the same thing with your beardie forever either. For the veggies that people recommend avoiding, the main concern is calcium-binding so I would dust them better and remember that metabolic bone disease is a chronic issue that is completely reversible when identified early so you'll have plenty of notice from your beardie's behaviors before things go bad.
As said, most say humidity is 30-50%, a vet told me 20-40% which seems impossible to achieve and others have said 20-70% and reptile shops have told me not to worry at all about humidity. It's all confusing, especially for new owners which I am but my beardie is almost 6 years old.
I've heard that the UK is always rainy and wet so I don't know about over there but here in the US, you generally don't need to worry about it. If the humidity gets too high, your dragon could encounter respiratory infection, though. The main culprit for excess humidity is a water bowl in the enclosure, which you don't need and most beardies will not drink from. They get all the water they need from their food and an occasional bath.
The worms I said, they just look different to the mealworms I have and I got told to get them as she was mainly on locust and morio worms and told that's a fatty diet.

This is the info I got
Meal worms
Moisture - 68.0%
Fat - 8.5%
Calcium - 0.02%
Protein - 19.5%
Calcium/Phosphorus Ratio - 0.05%

Morioworms
Moisture - 59.8%
Fat - 15.2%
Calcium - 0.02%
Protein - 19.5%

Brown Silent Crickets
Moisture - 68.8%
Fat - 9.3%
Calcium - 0.17%
Protein - 16.4%
Calcium/Phosphorus Ratio - 0.77%

Locust
Moisture - 73.2%
Fat - 5.8%
Calcium - 0.04%
Protein - 15.9%
Calcium/Phosphorus Ratio - 0.19%

Wax Worms
Moisture - 59.8%
Fat - 15.2%
Calcium - 0.02%
Protein - 19.5%
Superworms are kinda fat but locusts, I would think not, and the information that you are providing (if correct) does confirm them as the leanest feeder. If you balance superworms with locusts, it seems to be a great way to go. That said, I will tell you that I have been feeding my adult beardy with morio worms, as much as he will eat every day for months and although he did gain weight, he is not exhibiting signs of obesity (belly dragging on ground when walking) and I have known people to raise perfectly healthy bearded dragons from baby to adult feeding only morio worms as thier protein (plus celtuce leaves) and no vitamin supplementation! So really, with your morio worm+locust diet, unless you're seeing undigested chunks of locust in his feces (since they seen kinda hard and chitinous to me) I wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited:

Danjw

Bearded Dragon Egg
I think it's universally recognized that mustard greens and collard greens are excellent staple vegetables. As for other vegetables, generally, if people say it can be fed in moderation, it's totally fine to feed it for weeks if not forever. I assume you'll want to switch the veggie after a week or 2 anyway since you won't want to just eat the same thing with your beardie forever either. For the veggies that people recommend avoiding, the main concern is calcium-binding so I would dust them better and remember that metabolic bone disease is a chronic issue that is completely reversible when identified early so you'll have plenty of notice from your beardie's behaviors before things go bad.

I've heard that the UK is always rainy and wet so I don't know about over there but here in the US, you generally don't need to worry about it. If the humidity gets too high, your dragon could encounter respiratory infection, though. The main culprit for excess humidity is a water bowl in the enclosure, which you don't need and most beardies will not drink from. They get all the water they need from their food and an occasional bath.

Superworms are kinda fat but locusts, I would think not, and the information that you are providing (if correct) does confirm them as the leanest feeder. If you balance superworms with locusts, it seems to be a great way to go. That said, I will tell you that I have been feeding my adult beardy with morio worms, as much as he will eat every day for months and although he did gain weight, he is not exhibiting signs of obesity (belly dragging on ground when walking) and I have known people to raise perfectly healthy bearded dragons from baby to adult feeding only morio worms as thier protein (plus celtuce leaves) and no vitamin supplementation! So really, with your morio worm+locust diet, I wouldn't change a thing.
See I got told that not having a water bowl in there is illegal. They need a water bowl regardless if they drink much or not. I'd rather have humidity a couple % more than her not having an option to drink. I feel from what I got told that the middle is 40-60% for humidity with a small but of leeway on each side.

Ye the UK is rainy and humidity outside can reach almost 100% some days as I've seen it and humidity isn't something you can massively control, maybe a few % but not 10% or anything.

I have a camera to keep eye on her while I'm at work and to check lights come on (maybe sad) but it makes me feel better and today she has been at her basking light constantly since 08:30 as every time I've checked she has been there and I've read that it's normal and I hope that's right haha.

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
See I got told that not having a water bowl in there is illegal. They need a water bowl regardless if they drink much or not. I'd rather have humidity a couple % more than her not having an option to drink. I feel from what I got told that the middle is 40-60% for humidity with a small but of leeway on each side.
Illegal? LOL. Many people don't use water bowls for beardies because they've just never seen him/her drink from it. Other times, people have reported beardies getting sick because they defecated into the water bowl and then drank from it. For me, my beardie is trained to only go in a warm bath every day so I never come home to the smell of bulb-baked poop smeared all over the enclosure by the beardie walking over it. He gets a 20 min bath every day. There is no reason at all for me to have a water bowl for him.
Ye the UK is rainy and humidity outside can reach almost 100% some days as I've seen it and humidity isn't something you can massively control, maybe a few % but not 10% or anything.
I don't know the exact range but if your indoors also gets close to 100% humidity for a prolonged time, I would think that that is not good.
I have a camera to keep eye on her while I'm at work and to check lights come on (maybe sad) but it makes me feel better and today she has been at her basking light constantly since 08:30 as every time I've checked she has been there and I've read that it's normal and I hope that's right haha.
I like that idea.

Danjw

Bearded Dragon Egg
Illegal? LOL. Many people don't use water bowls for beardies because they've just never seen him/her drink from it. Other times, people have reported beardies getting sick because they defecated into the water bowl and then drank from it. For me, my beardie is trained to only go in a warm bath every day so I never come home to the smell of bulb-baked poop smeared all over the enclosure by the beardie walking over it. He gets a 20 min bath every day. There is no reason at all for me to have a water bowl for him.

I don't know the exact range but if your indoors also gets close to 100% humidity for a prolonged time, I would think that that is not good.

I like that idea.

Ye I don't have time to bath every day, every week.

See all the information is different as now I've just been told don't feed mealworms due to impaction so never know what to believe as that's apparently scientific study -_-

And thanks.

The 100% humidity is just the outside not inside. But that's very rare, its usually 60% outside most times. I find her humidity is about 55% from 8pm to 9am then drops a couple then drops more from 1pm until around 6pm

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
Ye I don't have time to bath every day, every week.

See all the information is different as now I've just been told don't feed mealworms due to impaction so never know what to believe as that's apparently scientific study -_-

And thanks.

The 100% humidity is just the outside not inside. But that's very rare, its usually 60% outside most times. I find her humidity is about 55% from 8pm to 9am then drops a couple then drops more from 1pm until around 6pm
Yeah, that bold part is what I don't agree with because I am seeing examples of people raising healthy bearded dragons feeding them appropriately sized mealworms in appropriate amounts. That is stand-alone evidence to debunk that mealworms cause impaction. Maybe they are an impaction risk in very weak rescue dragons at death's door when overfed, or in small/young dragons starved for days set loose on a buffet of full sized mealworms, but I see no evidence that healthy adult bearded dragons get impacted by regular amounts of mealworms. I've seen these lizards eat 3" locusts, fuzzy mice and quail chicks; I've seen baby dragons eat 2" New York cockroaches that took them minutes to swallow, none of which got them impacted, so what sense does it make that these 1" mealworms are especially deadly? None to me.

Icu2

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah, that bold part is what I don't agree with because I am seeing examples of people raising healthy bearded dragons feeding them appropriately sized mealworms in appropriate amounts. That is stand-alone evidence to debunk that mealworms cause impaction. Maybe they are an impaction risk in very weak rescue dragons at death's door when overfed, or in small/young dragons starved for days set loose on a buffet of full sized mealworms, but I see no evidence that healthy adult bearded dragons get impacted by regular amounts of mealworms. I've seen these lizards eat 3" locusts, fuzzy mice and quail chicks; I've seen baby dragons eat 2" New York cockroaches that took them minutes to swallow, none of which got them impacted, so what sense does it make that these 1" mealworms are especially deadly? None to me.
As you say and I fully agree with regards to mealworms. I feed my beardies whatever I feel like giving them and I'm speaking about all sizes of beardies. I breed Dubias, Turks (red runners I think they're called in the US), mealworms, silkworms, Hissing roaches and Supers. Some say that Supers are no good but I choose to ignore the hearsay.
As for greens mine mainly get rocket as I grow my own.
23 beardies to look after and I'm sure more rescues will be forthcoming before year end. I don't breed with beardies at all because then my hands would really be full.

Bree112

Bearded Dragon Egg

I. Find this very educational. I'm new here and just got a obese dragon yesterday. Thank you for all that are helping each other out.