• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mealworms for Bearded Dragons

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
There are many sources out there saying that bearded dragons shouldn't be fed (many) mealworms (Tenebrio molitor) because they have a shell that is difficult to digest and they are too fat. People say that superworms (Zophobas morio) are also too fat to be used as a staple though the shell is easier to digest however, I have heard of people raising healthy beardies on superworms as the sole source of protein so with a careful eye on obesity signs, I have went ahead with that and so far see no negative impacts. Because the nutritional content of superworms isn't remarkably different from that of mealworms (citation 1 below), I have a suspicion that the bad reputation of mealworms is also at least mostly folklore.

I have heard some people on thier board saying they feed mealworms (though not exclusively) without issue and will not be dissuaded by rumors of their ills. Today, I came across a video that is a mealworm breeding guide which presents evidence that an adult bearded dragon fed on a high mealworm diet (supplemented with crickets) will not produce negative effects.

Mealworms are much cheaper to buy and faster to breed/grow than superworms. They require no pupation chambers to enter the pupal and adult phases which further reduces the effort needed to raise them, however, the main drawback to this is that it also means that when you order bulk, you cannot use them little by little as you can with superworms because they will move their life cycles forward on their own.

Just as with superworms, you can also feed your bearded dragon pupae or freshly emerged adult beetle (white-cream colored wings) to increase the protein while decreasing the fat and hard shell content.

I have come to the realization that my incredibly great deal from Rainbow Mealworms purchasing 2,000 large superworms for $43 shipped was a fluke and an incredibly rare offer, as they have since run out of large superworms, then run out of medium superworms, then run out of small/all superworms altogether. The price for 1,000 never changed for size either. I contacted them for when the large will be offered again and they said not in the forseeable future. The regular price for 2,000 large superworms is closer to $140 on Amazon. So I am now in search of a new source of food for my dragon with about 2 month's supply of superworms left in my rearing tanks to buffer my search efforts. Breeding was not easy as the young require heat and moisture to hatch but will die if mold begins to grow and also require 5 months to reach a large size. It seems that I will give mealworms a go and report on the issues/successes. At $34 shipped for 5,000, the price is right for a trial.

Citation 1. http://www.grubco.com/nutritional_information.cfm

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
There are many sources out there saying that bearded dragons shouldn't be fed (many) mealworms (Tenebrio molitor) because they have a shell that is difficult to digest and they are too fat. People say that superworms (Zophobas morio) are also too fat to be used as a staple though the shell is easier to digest however, I have heard of people raising healthy beardies on superworms as the sole source of protein so with a careful eye on obesity signs, I have went ahead with that and so far see no negative impacts. Because the nutritional content of superworms isn't remarkably different from that of mealworms (citation 1 below), I have a suspicion that the bad reputation of mealworms is also at least mostly folklore.

I have heard some people on thier board saying they feed mealworms (though not exclusively) without issue and will not be dissuaded by rumors of their ills. Today, I came across a video that is a mealworm breeding guide which presents evidence that an adult bearded dragon fed on a high mealworm diet (supplemented with crickets) will not produce negative effects.

Mealworms are much cheaper to buy and faster to breed/grow than superworms. They require no pupation chambers to enter the pupal and adult phases which further reduces the effort needed to raise them, however, the main drawback to this is that it also means that when you order bulk, you cannot use them little by little as you can with superworms because they will move their life cycles forward on their own.

Just as with superworms, you can also feed your bearded dragon pupae or freshly emerged adult beetle (white-cream colored wings) to increase the protein while decreasing the fat and hard shell content.

I have come to the realization that my incredibly great deal from Rainbow Mealworms purchasing 2,000 large superworms for $43 shipped was a fluke and an incredibly rare offer, as they have since run out of large superworms, then run out of medium superworms, then run out of small/all superworms altogether. The price for 1,000 never changed for size either. I contacted them for when the large will be offered again and they said not in the forseeable future. The regular price for 2,000 large superworms is closer to $140 on Amazon. So I am now in search of a new source of food for my dragon with about 2 month's supply of superworms left in my rearing tanks to buffer my search efforts. Breeding was not easy as the young require heat and moisture to hatch but will die if mold begins to grow and also require 5 months to reach a large size. It seems that I will give mealworms a go and report on the issues/successes. At $34 shipped for 5,000, the price is right for a trial.

Yea Mealworms are an unhealthy cheap/fatty feeder that impacts the Beardie. Crickets & Dubias are the best & u can do superworms but only if the Beardie is a year old or more. Their digestive tract can’t handle superworms prior to “1” year of age. Hornworms as treats also but also both supers & horn are high in Fat.

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
Yea Mealworms are an unhealthy cheap/fatty feeder that impacts the Beardie.
Repeating an unsupported claim does not make it true. Supply scientific evidence for your claim. Others have supplied evidence of beardies NOT being obese despite being put on a mealworm-high diet. What evidence do you plan to use to argue against this data?
Crickets & Dubias are the best & u can do superworms but only if the Beardie is a year old or more. Their digestive tract can’t handle superworms prior to “1” year of age.
That's also proven incorrect as I know a person who raised a healthy beardie feeding only superworms since it was a hatchling, of course, they were small sized superworms.

What changes does a bearded dragon's digestive tract undergo at 1 year old? It sounds like you just heard something weird and swallowed it hook line and sinker without any question. What is required to digest superworm exoskeleton that a bearded dragon does not have before 1 year of age and develops at 1 year of age? Please cite your source for the scientific evidence, otherwise such a claim is just superstition.
Hornworms as treats also but also both supers & horn are high in Fat.
I've never heard of anyone raising a beardie on hornworm-heavy diets because they are so expensive but so far, we have evidence from people who have raised beardies on both superworm and mealworm heavy diets without issues so I would say that perhaps unless the dragon is fed an ungodly amount or restricted from exercise, they seem to handle the fat just fine.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I dont have any data other than my own personal experience and what ive seen, I unknowingly fed mealworms to my baby beardie cause i too read about people feeding them exclusively and they raised happy fat healthy lizards, while i was feeding not every poo but about every 3rd poo id see exoskeleton (and i was just feeding worms (along with a cricket or 2) I eventually phased them out not cause they were bad(she actually only pooped out the exos like 7 times and then i never seen bug bits after that ,she was getting interested in salad around this time so im shure that helped with digestion) eventually i phased out the mealworms (cause she was getting big and ivr heard that “mega mealworms are givin steroids?) I eventually went to superworms (maybe month 4? Of having her) i fed her exclusively supers , not much veg, and she’d get hornworms once a month, she was always a healthy weight and got plenty if exercise, ive never had any issues or complaints about supers (other than caring for them) i think its perfectly acceptable to feed a beardie every kind of bug, at any age, but of course in moderation, cause just like us something may sit fine with u and i but someone else can be in the bathroom a week from something they ate, I believe its a case by case situation, but this is just my opinion and my story, so it should Be taken with a grain of salt

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I Get 1000 large for 40$ at sunshinestateworms.com, not a good of a deal as u were getting, but still okay i think?

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran

In my opinion babies no. Adults they can eat to put it on top of salad or as treats. But mealworms are high in fat and don’t have much nutrients in them

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
I Get 1000 large for 40$ at sunshinestateworms.com, not a good of a deal as u were getting, but still okay i think?
Go to Rainbow Mealworms for much better deals. Shipping is $15-20 and 2,000 large is $10, 5,000 large is $20. Get the regular ones as giant mealworms are the ones that have been given special chemical treatment to attain their size.

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
In my opinion babies no. Adults they can eat to put it on top of salad or as treats. But mealworms are high in fat and don’t have much nutrients in them
We already know of people who can raise healthy bearded dragons with them so the points about fat and lack of nutrients are moot. If you look at the chart I provided in the link at the bottom of the original post, mealworms are actually less fat and more protein than superworms. And verify information scientifically. Just because you've heard that mealworms lack nutrients doesn't mean that it's true. For example, Rainbow mealworms advertises them as being rich in 12 of 16 essential elements in organisms. Also, the lab tests for nutritional content do not support any claims that they are low in nutrition.

Because there is so much incorrect information and parroted superstition on the internet, you will have to do some deep research, down to peer-reviewed scientific papers sometimes to get the truth. But the big picture is that there are cases where people have raised healthy beardies on only mealworms or mealworm-high diets, which is stand-alone evidence that their fat content and nutritional value are not problematic for bearded dragons.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Go to Rainbow Mealworms for much better deals. Shipping is $15-20 and 2,000 large is $10, 5,000 large is $20. Get the regular ones as giant mealworms are the ones that have been given special chemical treatment to attain their size.
I should of stated i was buying supers for 40$ my bad, is that a decent price? and okay I thought the big mealworms were givin something (i heard it a while back and didn’t know if it was true) like you said , we gotta dig deep and sometimes do our own studies ,the problem in my opinion starts from the top down “corporate” finds the most expensive option and says “these are the best for your pet” and here we are, definitely agree with the paroting “fact” statement, aslong as the proper safety messures are taken i think we should experiment more with our lizard care, people are finding out new information all the time.

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
I should of stated i was buying supers for 40$ my bad, is that a decent price? and okay I thought the big mealworms were givin something (i heard it a while back and didn’t know if it was true) like you said , we gotta dig deep and sometimes do our own studies ,the problem in my opinion starts from the top down “corporate” finds the most expensive option and says “these are the best for your pet” and here we are, definitely agree with the paroting “fact” statement, aslong as the proper safety messures are taken i think we should experiment more with our lizard care, people are finding out new information all the time.
It's really easy to get lost thinking that the more rules (and more expensive rules) we impose on ourselves on how we keep beardies, the better we are at husbandry or the better we are treating them. But it's important to always remember that these are rugged animals that eat whatever they can overpower and shove into their mouths in the wild and these rules are sometimes just total silliness, often demonstrably wrong, even though they may make us feel as if the more of them we can rat off, the more "knowledgeable" we are on beardies.

$40 for 1,000 supers shipped is swank. But from Sunshine, I can see now they offer 1,000 large for $40 plus shipping, not shipped... Shipping to me is $12.50, so still not so bad. I got mine at 2,000 for $43 shipped but that turned out to be a very rare offering and right now the best I can find is something like $68 plus tax for 1,000 from Amazon.

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
We already know of people who can raise healthy bearded dragons with them so the points about fat and lack of nutrients are moot. If you look at the chart I provided in the link at the bottom of the original post, mealworms are actually less fat and more protein than superworms. And verify information scientifically. Just because you've heard that mealworms lack nutrients doesn't mean that it's true. For example, Rainbow mealworms advertises them as being rich in 12 of 16 essential elements in organisms. Also, the lab tests for nutritional content do not support any claims that they are low in nutrition.

Because there is so much incorrect information and parroted superstition on the internet, you will have to do some deep research, down to peer-reviewed scientific papers sometimes to get the truth. But the big picture is that there are cases where people have raised healthy beardies on only mealworms or mealworm-high diets, which is stand-alone evidence that their fat content and nutritional value are not problematic for bearded dragons

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
It's really easy to get lost thinking that the more rules (and more expensive rules) we impose on ourselves on how we keep beardies, the better we are at husbandry or the better we are treating them. But it's important to always remember that these are rugged animals that eat whatever they can overpower and shove into their mouths in the wild and these rules are sometimes just total silliness, often demonstrably wrong, even though they may make us feel as if the more of them we can rat off, the more "knowledgeable" we are on beardies.

$40 for 1,000 supers shipped is swank. But from Sunshine, I can see now they offer 1,000 large for $40 plus shipping, not shipped... Shipping to me is $12.50, so still not so bad. I got mine at 2,000 for $43 shipped but that turned out to be a very rare offering and right now the best I can find is something like $68 plus tax for 1,000 from Amazon.
I always try to base my care with what they have in the wild -the hammocks and fluffy things lol, okay seems bug prices are pretty stagnent.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Ok I will look into it but for right know frank is 4 and a half months old. Not giving him mealworms yet
Id give them a try in a couple months, at 4-6 months he should be bout a tween/juvie and can handle them by then, the worst that’ll happen is he’ll poop out some bug skeleton (btw the nutrition is inside the bug not its skin) a good argument is we eat corn :) and we all know what happens to that in our digestive track.

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
I always try to base my care with what they have in the wild -the hammocks and fluffy things lol, okay seems bug prices are pretty stagnent.
I wouldn't bother. Bearded dragons are dozens of generations removed from the wild; giving them décor that is naturalistic only serves the aesthetic desires of the owner. There's no reason to believe that the beardie cares or knows what nature is. I just use a bunch of $1 stuffed animals from Goodwill and he'll crawl all over them, cuddle and explore. They can be quite large and high quality (I love finding the Wild Republic or Wishpets realistic animal figures that often retail $20-$50 each) for just $1 and I have a ton that I rotate out.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran

Thanks for the info. It really is confusing as to what's healthy and what's harmful. So many contradictions and so much controversy to process through. It great to hear from someone (that we know) sharing positive feedback/results regarding some of the misconceptions. Kudos!

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
Yeah, my baby did get impacted for 5 days bc all i was feeding her was worms, ( my pet store was out) It was very scary and so i dont feel mealworms any more. Im not telling anyone to feed or not to feed. Just stating what happened to me. I feed her roaches and crickets. Right now we are trying supers for the first time. Also is it just me or has this forum gotten slightly toxic..

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
Yeah, my baby did get impacted for 5 days bc all i was feeding her was worms, ( my pet store was out) It was very scary and so i dont feel mealworms any more. Im not telling anyone to feed or not to feed. Just stating what happened to me.
I'm not saying if your beardie was impacted or wasn't impacted by worms but it's perfectly normal for a beardie adapting to a new place to not defecate for a while. My beardie didn't defecate for 11 days after I got him from relocation stress and now he does every day. He certainly wasn't impacted; it was just adjusting. A truly impacted beardie is a problem much bigger than taking a few more days to pass a stool.
I feed her roaches and crickets. Right now we are trying supers for the first time.
There are some people who will tell you that you can't feed supers if your beardie is under 1 year old LOL If they are appropriately-sized, you'll be fine.
Also is it just me or has this forum gotten slightly toxic..
Well, when people disagree and have a heated debate, it is good for the forum and knowledge on bearded dragons. Some people will be unhappy to learn that what they have been preaching for decades isn't necessarily true and that unhappiness can seem toxic but this process is needed sometimes for learning. It's much better than a forum where everyone just says, "Your beardie is so cute! Yours too! Mine too? Thank you!!" And then they repeat things they read on the internet and all nod with no one asking why or raising a brow.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm not saying if your beardie was impacted or wasn't impacted by worms but it's perfectly normal for a beardie adapting to a new place to not defecate for a while. My beardie didn't defecate for 11 days after I got him from relocation stress and now he does every day. He certainly wasn't impacted; it was just adjusting. A truly impacted beardie is a problem much bigger than taking a few more days to pass a stool.

There are some people who will tell you that you can't feed supers if your beardie is under 1 year old LOL If they are appropriately-sized, you'll be fine.

Well, when people disagree and have a heated debate, it is good for the forum and knowledge on bearded dragons. Some people will be unhappy to learn that what they have been preaching for decades isn't necessarily true and that unhappiness can seem toxic but this process is needed sometimes for learning. It's much better than a forum where everyone just says, "Your beardie is so cute! Yours too! Mine too? Thank you!!" And then they repeat things they read on the internet and all nod with no one asking why or raising a brow.
I agree. I luv seeing the pics and hearing about everyone's guys and gals (gives it a more personal aspect), but I'm also looking for info. Tid-bits to pick up and utilize if I can. I do think this forum is the most helpful and my questions tend to get answered quickly.

When you've been on long enough, it's fairly easy to by-pass the comments from those who do repetitive responses or don't answer the questions asked. I do feel bad for those who tend to get these responses, though. Especially if they are new members. It can be off putting.

I've never fed my guy meal worms. Was put off by the negative things I'd heard. But, that was a personal decision made between me and my guy. Well, ok he may not have agreed. lol I did start giving him super worms, though. He wasn't quite a year old. I started out with one and watched to see how he did. Then I increased his daily quantity. He still gets them only as a treat, but so far hasn't had any ill effects.

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
I'm not saying if your beardie was impacted or wasn't impacted by worms but it's perfectly normal for a beardie adapting to a new place to not defecate for a while. My beardie didn't defecate for 11 days after I got him from relocation stress and now he does every day. He certainly wasn't impacted; it was just adjusting. A truly impacted beardie is a problem much
It wasn't relocation stress, if happened weeks after i got her and she was fine and pooing every day with the crickets until i fed her mealworms. SHe was truly impacted sure it wasn't terrible but not pooing for 5 days and eating a lot of greens and worms she was lethargic and i could tell it hurt. Thank god after lots of tries i got it out.
I have fed her about 2 dozen supers in the last day it this bad? There is nothing else.. at my pet store
What i mean by toxic is the delivery people are giving it makes people feel attacked for everything they are doing. People are like NOPE this is bad cant do it! And i feel as if this is toxic. Sure giving advice is great but maybe it needs to be delivered in a good way.