• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mealworm question

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
yes, as agreed w/aleena's statement above. waxworms r said 2 be a littlier on the fattier content. u can gutload ur crix w/either the stalks from the greens or just some greens & veggies u feed ur beardie. be sure 2 gutload 24 2 48 hours b4 feeding the crix 2 ur beardie as well! i also use the fluker's orange cube's 2 keep the crix hydrated, since they drown in water.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
yes, as agreed w/aleena's statement above. waxworms r said 2 be a littlier on the fattier content. u can gutload ur crix w/either the stalks from the greens or just some greens & veggies u feed ur beardie. be sure 2 gutload 24 2 48 hours b4 feeding the crix 2 ur beardie as well! i also use the fluker's orange cube's 2 keep the crix hydrated, since they drown in water.
Fruit works well for hydrating the crickets too :) a big fat juicy pepper is great for a water source

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
be sure 2 gutload 24 2 48 hours b4 feeding the crix 2 ur beardie as well!
Even gutloading 24 hrs prior to feeding to your animals is stretching it, let alone 48 hrs. After 24 hrs or less the crickets will have used up anything in it's stomach (Gut). The whole point of 'Gut' loading is to feed your animals while the 'Gutload' is still in their stomachs so the animal will benefit from it. So when ordering online & the breeder advertises that his Crix are Gutloaded, it is nothing more than a marketing ploy, because anything that was in their stomachs will have been well pooped out, long before they arrive. Jessica - I'm pretty sure you meant having a constant supply of gutload in your cricket box for at least 24-48 hrs prior to feeding, but thought it should be clarified. :)

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Even gutloading 24 hrs prior to feeding to your animals is stretching it, let alone 48 hrs. After 24 hrs or less the crickets will have used up anything in it's stomach (Gut). The whole point of 'Gut' loading is to feed your animals while the 'Gutload' is still in their stomachs so the animal will benefit from it. So when ordering online & the breeder advertises that his Crix are Gutloaded, it is nothing more than a marketing ploy, because anything that was in their stomachs will have been well pooped out, long before they arrive. Jessica - I'm pretty sure you meant having a constant supply of gutload in your cricket box for at least 24-48 hrs prior to feeding, but thought it should be clarified. :)
I appreciate that Germ, I've never heard it broken down like that. I was thinking that the gut load had to be in their systems 24-48 hours prior to feeding :confused:.

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
oh yes, certainly germ! lol sorry bout that & i thank u 4 clarifying! there shud be food & some sort of hydration provided 4 the crix at all times, otherwise..u will end up w/many dead crix..& dead crix with live crix will actually kill off the live 1's. so all in all, a food & hydration supply 2 crix at all times. & but be sure 2 never feed ur beardie crix that haven't been gutloaded 24-48 hrs in advance :)

cherryfilters

Juvenile Dragon
super worms would be better, but not too often. mealworms have the hard exterior and can cause impaction. horn worms and phoenix worms are good. wax worms are good if they are having trouble eating and not gaining weight. also dubia roaches are better than crix. i just switched over to the roaches and they are much cleaner than the crix.

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
I agree with those apposed to mealworms, supers are much better but i don't often see them in small sizes just the standard size! I think the nutritional value of mealworms is very low if i remember correctly, and their tough chitin shell can cause impaction if fed in large quantities without the correct fluid balance.
Waxworms are good as an occasional treat :) i started feeding my BD waxworms and now she is really picky about her supers and refuses them if she knows i have waxworms >:eek: but she never denies crickets ;)
This is a great idea to get more of an insight into this. This question is always asked but a 100% accurate answer is never obtained :eek: i'd like to do more research on this. Personally i've found feeding my BD nothing but mealworms alters her mood and she tends to be quite sluggish, staying under her basking light for a very long time afterwards to ensure proper digestion. She's much more active when fed crickets or locusts

Latest posts