• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mealworm question

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
I am getting a little confused bc I have read a few different places different things about feeding mealworms. Currently, my beardie gets crickets in the morning and mealworms in the evening with fresh greenies....is this good or should she get crickts morning and night and mealworms occasionally?

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well Mealworms are not bad for her, but I believe crickets will be a better choice.

I personally do not feed my dragon Mealies, if I do feed worms I use superworms (would need to be properly sized for the beardie of course).

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mealworms shell can be difficult for dragons to sometimes digest. If they are not refrigerated like recommended they will shed more often leaving their shell softer. Also, their nutritional value isn't all that good which is why supers are recommended in their place.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When & if you feed mealies, you should be very sure that your temps are spot on & that your BD is well hydrated. While Mealworms have been fed since the beginning of the hobby, there are so many other, possibly better alternatives, now.

Reactions: Jp

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
When & if you feed mealies, you should be very sure that your temps are spot on & that your BD is well hydrated. While Mealworms have been fed since the beginning of the hobby, there are so many other alternatives.
Usually the hot side is around 100 and the cool side is around 80. Later I will post pics of her setup and, if you would please, tell me if I have the thermometers located in the right spots.

I just started giving her baths every few days...but she doesn't like to stay in the water but a couple of minutes.

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
Mealworms shell can be difficult for dragons to sometimes digest. If they are not refrigerated like recommended they will shed more often leaving their shell softer. Also, their nutritional value isn't all that good which is why supers are recommended in their place.
Since supers are probably too long for her right now should I just cut them in half right before I give them to her?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hot side temps should be taken directly at the basking spot, cool side taken in the floor area furthest from the heat bulb. I can't remember how old your BD is, but looks to be a juvenile & you should raise your temps to 110*F, temps taken with an accurate type thermometer.

As far as baths go, I would let it flail around for 10 minutes or more, they are very capable swimmers & can submerge for short periods of time without issue. It will not likely get used to bathing anytime soon if you pull it out every time it scrambles.

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
Hot side temps should be taken directly at the basking spot, cool side taken in the floor area furthest from the heat bulb. I can't remember how old your BD is, but looks to be a juvenile & you should raise your temps to 110*F, temps taken with an accurate type thermometer.

As far as baths go, I would let it flail around for 10 minutes or more, they are very capable swimmers & can submerge for short periods of time without issue. It will not likely get used to bathing anytime soon if you pull it out every time it scrambles.
Thank you very much. How do I raise the temp?
Also, so even though it is recommended that mealworms be refrigerated...are y'all saying it is better if I don't refridgerate them?
I sure appreciate y'alls patience with me. I am a true newbie and I love my little dragon very much and I want to do everything possible to make her happy and healthy!

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you buy a larger amount, take out what you'll need for the week & put the rest in the fridge.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you very much. How do I raise the temp? Raise your basking spot or lower the bulb an inch or 2. If that can't be done, you may have to use a hotter or higher wattage bulb.
Also, so even though it is recommended that mealworms be refrigerated...are y'all saying it is better if I don't refridgerate them? From what JP said I gather that is the case, but they will likely not store quite as long. I have only fed Mealies once & that was because I was given them for free with a BD that I purchased.
I sure appreciate y'alls patience with me. I am a true newbie and I love my little dragon very much and I want to do everything possible to make her happy and healthy! ----
icon_thumright-1.gif

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would recommend trying 2 locate some small supers as an alternative to mealworms.

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
sunkiss, as said above, i really wouldn't suggest feeing mealworms. they have a hard exoskeleton that can be hard 2 digest & is sometimes known 2 cause impaction. plus they have a very high fat content & little nutritional value. i would recommend, phoenix worms, silkworms, smaller hornworms, butterworms(not 2 often), crickets & roaches(if available where ur located...they're not legal 2 have in the u.s)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Many Tropical Roaches are legal in most of the US, just not in Florida. Although Discoid roaches are legal in Florida

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Ok so crickets and I aren't bonding so well I keep killing them too fast. I read wax worms r good? Thoughts on cricket care?
Super worms, wax worms... meal worms can cause problems but usually not if your dragon is kept well hydrated. Crickets and I don't get along so well either but as long as I get them in the cage right away we do ok. I've heard roaches are great... though I would squish them before I could have a chance to feed them to my dragons.

Wellovelizards

Hatchling Dragon
She is well hydrated and loves waxworms. How often is too often for those. Waiting for 500 crickets tomorrow. Should get some gut load with them any other thoughts for cricket care?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
She is well hydrated and loves waxworms. How often is too often for those. Waiting for 500 crickets tomorrow. Should get some gut load with them any other thoughts for cricket care?
I think wax worms can be kinda fatty so not terribly often. You can use veggies and fruit you would give your beardie for the gut load ;)

Latest posts