• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Meal worm beetles and caccoons?

GemmyLou

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi i was just wondering can you feed beardies the white caccoons or the meal worm beetles?
Also can you feed them butterworms,hornworms,silkworms,phoenix worms && superworms to beardies? If so how often for each?

KrisWithaK1225

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Personally, I don't like feeding them the beetles and pupas. I heard that the beetles can secrete a bad scent so your beardie might not want to eat them. Plus, the beetles are mainly exoskeleton and not really the best for beardies. Same goes with the pupa: mainly a shell with little meat.
All of the worms you listed are great for beardies. If you have or can get all of these, there is really no point in giving your beardie the beetles.
You would want to feed your beardie as many as they can eat in 15 minutes. If I were you, I would give different worms to your beardie at each feeding. That way, they aren't just eating the same thing each time.
Like one feeding you give them supers, then the next you give them hornworms. Just an idea though.

GemmyLou

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay thank you! do you know if i could feed all the worms to 8 week old beardies aswell?

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
OK lets start with Mealies:

Not good for Beardies of any age

Butterworms - Use as a treat
Hornworms - Can and will Grow VERY large so only feed your young beardies small/young horns
Silkworms - Great Staple worm but again feed the proper size for your size beardie
Pheonix worms - I can't get them here so I can't say with confidence but I have heard tehy should only be a treat (not sure why)

Super worms - Should NEVER be fed to a beardie under 16" (nose to tip of tail).

Superworms have a very tuff outer shell and until a beardie is 16" in length they have a kink in their intestines that superworm shell will not pass though easily casuing impaction.

Hope this helps.

Fliehigh

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I feed 1000s of super worms to our babies just use very small I dont feed any meal worms.
Just my opinion

Gusimus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
On the subject of bugs. Is it ok to feed your BD bugs and insects that you find around the house?
Obviously as a treat and not a staple diet

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You don't know where they been or ate.

Latest posts