• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Maximum size of a beardie?

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Just curious if beardies are indeterminate growers, or if once they hit a certain size they stop...?

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
average size is about 18 to 20 inches, some getting around 24. once they hit a year to a year and a half, their length is determined and from there they can just get fatter.

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
is there a way to determine age? (lol ~ like when you check a horses' teeth).
or is it anyone's guess once they hit that average mark in length?

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Without a hatch date the answer is no td. Size can be affected by diet, heat and lighting, and genetics. People see my holdbacks at 10 months old and think they are 2 years of age. Ive been asked when im breeding a dragon only to answer not for at least a year....lol. Someone like myself can SOMETIMES guess, but thats all it is.

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Without a hatch date the answer is no td. Size can be affected by diet, heat and lighting, and genetics. People see my holdbacks at 10 months old and think they are 2 years of age. Ive been asked when im breeding a dragon only to answer not for at least a year....lol. Someone like myself can SOMETIMES guess, but thats all it is.
thanks! that's what I thought.

Sarah26

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
About 23 inches from head to tail, and are commonly German giants. They reach full growth at 2 years of age.

Missy

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I'd been told from my local pet store's rep dept. mgr., that being Gobi is already just over a foot long (at almost 9 months old), that he will MOST LIKELY be right at 22 inches when done growing.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
About 23 inches from head to tail, and are commonly German giants. They reach full growth at 2 years of age.

There are no true German giants left in the states they were bred out years ago now the term GG is a sales pitch do they have them where you are?

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The true german giants where massive dragons averaging 26 to 29 inches and about 1200 to 1600 grams. They where hard to breed and very agressive to each other. Male or female made no difference. Bill is 100% correct in saying they where bred out years ago.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The true german giants where massive dragons averaging 26 to 29 inches and about 1200 to 1600 grams. They where hard to breed and very agressive to each other. Male or female made no difference. Bill is 100% correct in saying they where bred out years ago.

I learned it from you

Sarah26

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I learned it from you

Thank you for that information! I would love a larger than normal sized dragon. My baby is about 18 inches, and is reaching complete maturity this March.
There are no GG here, or no one here claims to have them, in fact I can't find bearded dragons ANYWHERE here!(UAE) Only one pet store I was lucky enough to find sells bearded dragons and even they only sell them once a blue moon. :-( Wish they will sell more soon, I really want to get another one to extend my clan.

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you everyone for the responses...I was just hoping that maybe if I put him in a larger enclosure, he may get bigger. Just like some fish are "normally" a certain size, they can get massive if given the right environment. Just needed a little clarification ;)

Missy

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Remember though, they need MINIMUM space of a 40 gallon viv tank (at adult size). We started Gobi at a 10 gallon tank. Within about 3 months, we went right in to the 40 long.

jynx stephens

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i dont mean to sound a little dim witted but is there a way that a beardie can maybe have part german in them? or pass the gene on the the babie's?

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Don't buy from a petstore.. buy from a breeder, there are plenty of people on here that breed and sell beardies and that way you truely know what you are getting (IMO and speaking from experience)
ans Never believe what a petshop persong tells you.. most of the time they have no idea what they are talking about, they tend to make things up as they go (again IMO and in my experience)

jynx stephens

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i found my female lily online from a guy near me that didnt want her cuz she kept throwing dud's both clutches she had. my male iggy bred her and they were all fine. i dont think it was her fault for throwing the dud's. he said she was a citrus. when i finally got to see her she was a low grade citrus. i took her to a local breeder i know and they looked at her and said she was definantly citrus but might have german in her due to her size and the size of the clutch's she had. it dosent matter to me if she is or not cuz i'll love her either way im just curious if they could have been right about her being part german

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
there was a discusion in one of the other threads here, they were talking about the germans being bred out.. let me see if l can remember who was commenting../

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
hahaha, hmmmmm.. maybe l should be sleeping rather than spending all night on the pc then maybe just maybe, l won't lose track and make stupid comments, eh...
( i have insomnia and tend to go to bed every second night)

No seriously, there is another thread that has a similar thread about germans being bred out.. (sorry guys but maybe its another forum...)

Latest posts