• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Magellan's Mansion

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Videos to DIY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oWFYLS6QS8
Materials that i used to make this are:
* 1/2 inch thick sheets of styrofoam
* non sanded tile grout (can be premade or the kind in the bag u gotta mix i used both)
*great stuff for gaps and cracks (foam in a can)
* several paint brushes of diff sizes
* 2 empty spray bottles
* liquid nails and a caulking gun
* acrylic paint (i used burnt umber)
* mod podge 100% nontoxic sealer (can be bought in any craft store)

I did this over the course of a week but it can be brought down to a couple days depending how much work you put into it per day. What you gotta do basically is design how u want it and cut it out and then glue it in place where you want it with the liquid nails. On a side note you can also pull away at the edges to give a more natural look to it instead of all straight edges and/or you can use the great stuff to add more foam in weaker spots to add support or a wild abstract edge or rock formation. Once your done gluing things down you need to let it dry overnight and on the second day you can start grouting. The 1st layer should be extremely watery and with each layer (I used 5 layers) it should get thicker and thicker until the last layer is almost clay like but still being able to brush the grout on with the paintbrush. You can go about painting it 2 ways, you can tint the grout with the acrylic paint or you can just buy the grout in a color you want or you can just paint it after the grout dries over night, which i did. In order to paint the grout I took a empty spray bottle and added paint and some water and sprayed everything down and applied 6 coats letting it dry in 20 min intervals. I also took some black acrylic paint and did a very faint dry sponge technique to put some darker accents on the "rock". I let that dry overnight as well and the last day I sealed everything with mod podge. I put that in a spray bottle and added water and applied the sealant. I added 6 coats and let it dry every 20 min before I added another coat I let that cure for 48 hours before I put my dragon in and there ya go!

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_2065.jpg

IMG_3304.jpg

IMG_3307.jpg

IMG_3327.jpg

IMG_3328.jpg

IMG_3371.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg

IMG_3380.jpg

IMG_3381.jpg

IMG_3382.jpg

IMG_3385.jpg

IMG_3412.jpg

IMG_3413.jpg

IMG_3414.jpg

IMG_3415.jpg

IMG_3417.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg

IMG_3434.jpg

IMG_3477.jpg

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
thanx for the compliments everyone!

brian if you lived closer you could use magellan for your stud and id build u an enclosure...they are so much fun!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just so everyone knows... Candice loooooves to get grouty and messy ! lol
BUt I must admit,, That is still the BOMB Candice ;)
Janie.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just follow the steps... and get dirty ! I did something based on Candice's digs for Megellan, and it was a china cabinet Castle for Yardley.
Turned out nice,, shame he's outgrown it.
Janie.

angel

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
very nice puts Sugas home to shame ill have to show the boyfriend see what he can come up with for her next home :)

whitnet

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I was just wondering where did you get the sliding doors for this as i want to borrow your brilliant idea :) if you dont mind

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
my dad's friend makes glass doors for a living so i just called him up and he gave me the tracks and the glass

whitnet

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
cool i may look into that where did u put ur basking lamp and uv bulb ? and are tiles ok to use ? well obviously if u put them in but just never seen it done b4 any tips :)

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i mounted my uvb nd heat light to the roof of the enclosure and as far as the tile...its super easy...just get tile grout (premixed or mix it yourself works) lay a layer on the bottom press the tiles in place and then go over the cracks again with grout nd wipe the excess from the tile and let it dry

Latest posts