• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Little Runt Eating problems

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Janelle is giving you some great advice here. I just want to add about the red light. They need a period of darkness at night and coolness to rest their brain and further process nutrients. I say rest their brain because they have a "third eye" on top of their head that allows them to see shadows and lights and alerts them to predators coming to get them while they have their eyes closed. Any colored light at night can cast a shadow and therefore disrupt their sleep cycle. Which would make for a cranky lazy dragon the next day.

The guy at the store fed you a line of BS, most likely to get rid of that T8 fixture and bulb. The T5HO bulbs are much better than the T8. The mesh blocks about 35% or more of the UVB. You'll need to change the T8 bulb in about 4 months. With a T5 bulb, they are high output and they have a reflector so it penetrates the mesh better and pushes the UVB further down into your tank. T5 bulbs are nice because they can last up to a year before needing to be changed.

EnviousSins

Bearded Dragon Egg
She was super skinny yesterday so i loaded the dubais with calcium d3 and vitamin mix. I force fed her 3 but didnt want to do more then that. I hated doing it but she seemed fine with me still handling her after. Im hoping the boost in calcium d3 and minerals will help her come around more. I felt she is too tiny to be going a week without food. Esp when her pelvis was becoming a bit too prominent for my liking. I will fix up the hood somehow. Ill have to crack the top to do it. The basking lamp is rather big so ive been having to put the hood diagonal. Hopefully i can clip it to the side if i open the screen a bit

EnviousSins

Bearded Dragon Egg
It was a reptile store and i dont think i can return anything there x.x ill just have to crack the screen and hope for the best. And she is giving me lots of great advice i cant deny that!

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
If you can't take them back and get your money back, they will make do to get her some UVB until you hit another pay day and can get a better bulb and better fixture. You need to get it like 6" from her basking spot. T8s aren't very strong, so they have to be close. Make sure there is no plastic cover over the bulb. One of the brands likes to put a plastic cover (I can't remember which brand), and the plastic blocks the UV.

EnviousSins

Bearded Dragon Egg
Bit of a story here

Yesterday she was looking and acting really lethargic. All day she didnt come out from under her log, so finally i picked her up and she was super cold. She looked at me but in a way that said she was pretty weak. So i held her for about 10-15 minutes and went Shhhhhhh and just talked to her quietly, gently sang her a lullaby, and she ended up falling asleep in my hands. (For those spiritually inclined like i am, i poured positive and healing energy into her)

Well today i went and turned on her lights, went away, and came back to fill her water dish. Which she was on lolz. So i decided to just gently add water. She drank it down thirstily then decided it was time for a bath. Wellll she kinda fell asleep in there.

After about an hr i was like ok thats enough and removed her from her bath and put her on the bridge under her lamp. As i feared she had gotten a little cold (i didnt expect hr to bathe that long in room temp water)

She started licking her lips and opened her mouth a few times so i was like hmmm.... But let her warm up for about 15 mins before deciding to try a few small bugs. Man she was hungry! She downed 8 or 9 of them lolz. Then has been happily basking and bathing in both bulbs light.

Right now since she is a baby i have her screen almost all the way off, basking bulb clipped to the side of the tank, and hood on the edge. I noticed with the screen cracked for the uvb bulb it was causing the heat lamp to melt the plastic of my tanks rim.

I really really wish i could put her in the 40g x.x but she needs to grow before that. She is like... The size of a 4-8 week old at 13 weeks. I looked at others that hatched with her and they are much much much bigger. I think she must have been pushed out of the way a lot when it came to food and basking as runts usually are. Would explain the odd toe and nipped tail end.

But ah anyway Im just super happy shes ok. ^^

Im going to stick to feeding her with the tongs since she wont feed outside the tank and the bugs just go straight under the paper towel bottom
IMG_20181117_162836_900.jpg

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
So cute and tiny! And I just LOVE that bridge!!! I'm glad she's eating for you! Hoping she keeps it up and thrives!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Glad she's starting to eat! Be careful letting her sit in the water that long. If she's sleeping, her head could slip under the water or if she doesn't dry off properly, she could get a bacterial infection.

Latest posts