• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Little Runt Eating problems

EnviousSins

Bearded Dragon Egg
20181111_171119_HDR.jpg
20181111_170738_HDR.jpg
20181111_171153_HDR.jpg
I have been attempting to do a lot of research on this, but I am a little worried. I picked up a baby bearded dragon on Friday. While I know they have relocation stress and it may cause them to stop eating, but well.... Im a little worried about this one. Especially since i have 250 nymph dubais on the way shipped 2 day priority. (Eek! I really dont want them to get too big and end up wih large roaches and a tiny dragon lolz)

Before I got her i was told she is a runt with a nipped tail. Shes got a little dullness/dark spot on top of her head and the tip of her tail is very dark. But my main worry is food. I was told sometimes she takes a little encouragement to eat. I was also told she is 12 weeks old, but looks about 8 weeks. She was smaller then the rest of both clutches she hatched with.

I gave her a bath yesterday as she seemed to be a little pale and to make sure she is getting water (she lapped that up quick and loooved it. Her color came back too)

But I worry because other then the 1 cricket she ate the first day, and the one roach she ate the second she isnt eating anything else. I did release a few dubais in her tank about 30 mins ago. I wanted to at least have the option there since dubais arent like crickets and wont chew on her.

But she is starting to look a little sunken in on the back. I just want to make sure she gets enough nutrition and calcium with her already stunted growth.

Should i look at force feeding her or making a squished bug, calcium, vitamin, water mix and drip it on her nose? Or just wait it out and hope she starts eating soon? Im just nervous, i know how to care for them and force feed due to working at a pet store and owning my fair share of reptiles. My main worry is always MBD. (Her terrarium temps are fine btw. Shes been running around the terrarium, not glass surfing, and often just sleeping under the basking light. Zoo Med Repti basking spot lamp)

I just wanted to double check with people and see what I should do. I dont want to lose her or her trust. (She handles just fine, very hand tamed thanks to her breeder. Doesnt seem to stress out at all when handled. ) oh i also want to note IK i cant tell the gender right now but its just easier to pick one to explain these things XD

Oh and pics are from her bath. But she looks a bit thinner today. Man.... beardeds and their hunger strikes

EnviousSins

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also her back toes on her right side look like they broke or nipped. I dont mind. I just wanted to provide the best home and chance for her survival

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Oh my goodness! When I first glanced at the first picture, for a second I thought she was in a skillet on the stove. LOL She looks sooooooo tiny. What UVB do you have? Substrate? As long as the setup is good, I'd give her a little more time to settle in. One of the more experienced ones may have more things for you to look at right away.

EnviousSins

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have the zoo med basking spot lamp. 50 watt since shes in the 20g until she gets bigger and i can put her in my 40g. It produces just enough heat ranging between 100 and 110 depending how close the ither heat lamp is. That one ranges around 80 on the cool side. I have her on paper towels as she is smol. I debated on play sand but shes both too young and i really dont like to risk impaction.

Ironically someone said the same thing about the skillet XD nah shes in a bowl haha. Thats just how tiny she is i figured a bowl was enough for a micro bath XD i just changed out the water here and there.

She has a dark spot of flaky skin on top of her head but i figure thats left over from her last shed. Guve me a min and ill post more photos of her set up. Darn site wont show up the pics i took friday. Lolz.

EnviousSins

Bearded Dragon Egg
I tipped the drift wood up. And the temp guage is on the ground because its actually for my other tank lolz. Easier to move around this way too.

EnviousSins

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh i also decided on dubais for nutrition. Was reading a study where someone split a clutch and measured them. Said the dubais grew faster and were ahead by like an inch or two then the ones eating crickets. Also that people who feed dubais and then try crickets the dragons pretty much ignore crickets.... That and these roaches dont escape and infest your house ¬.¬. She has the reptical and the repti vitamins too. So hopefully after her strike i can give her more vitamins and calcium. If anyone else has advice too it would be much appreciated

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Dubias are great. I use Repashy Calcium Plus, simply because I don't want to try to keep track of a bunch of different supplements. I dust all her insects with it, and it's the only supplement you need. If you're using separate supplements, I believe it's calcium 5 days a week and multi twice.
For her enclosure, there are a few things that I think will REALLY help her appetite, and are absolute necessities. Your basking temps are good, but you NEED to have a UVB light. They need high amounts of UV in order to create D3, which lets them digest and absorb calcium. The best UVB lights are Reptisun t5 10.0 TUBE or Arcadia 12%. (You can buy the Reptisun on amazon. I'm not sure about the Arcadia.) You need a tube long enough to cover at least 1/2-2/3 of her enclosure. You will also need the hood with a reflector for the lightbulb to go into.
It looks like you have a red bulb in her tank. The red bulbs mess with their eyes and can hurt them. If it's on at night, it also messes with their sleep cycle. This will also contribute to the lack of appetite.

Anyway, she's not going to be able to digest food properly without the UVB, so she won't have a good appetite. I think once you get a good UV light for her, you'll see all sorts of appetite and energy she doesn't currently have.

I'm glad you didn't go with the sand. Looks like a nice setup!

EnviousSins

Bearded Dragon Egg
Im pretty confused on that one. The basking lamp emits uva. So im guessing diff bulb? Also should i get the night bulbs then? I always used red bulbs at night because most animals cant see red light. I mean gotta keep her tank heated

EnviousSins

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok i see the issue now. Hmm im going to return the other lamp i got and see if i can pick up the flourescent lighting one. Also duely noted on the red heat lamp. I will be turning that off tonight to see if the temperature will be ok. I keep my appartment pretty warm. I turned on lights for the day and added my bedside lamp with a coil bulb. Idk they say household lights emit uvb too so i figured i could at least try that while at work and then get the rest after work x.x

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Don’t get a coil or compact UVB. You want the tube. Most pet stores don’t seem to keep the t5 bulbs in stock. If you go with a t8, they are weaker and will need to be mounted UNDER the mesh lid, rather than on top of. You will want a basking light ALSO. She should have two different bulbs, both shining on her basking spot. The basking light is for heat, the tube light for the UVB.
As long as your house doesn’t drop below 65* at night, she is fine. They need a cool-down period at night while they sleep. If your house gets colder, you can get a ceramic heat emitter, which puts off heat but no light. But most houses stay within an ok range at night for them to have no other heater.

EnviousSins

Bearded Dragon Egg
If i use two basking bulbs it will be too hot. Maybe when. She is in the 40g. Ill look at what petco has in stock. T5 got it. I was going to look for the tubes. I might stop at leaping lizards to see what they have but unfortunately refunds are a pain akd ive got to see if i can get the right set up with an exchange first. X.x $$$ is a little short this month and ive spent already over 100 on the lights alone. So ive got to take them back

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
The UVB doesn’t give off heat. It gives off the right wavelength of light for them to absorb and create vit d. That’s why you sill need a basking bulb for the heat. Both aid in digestion, and both are important. You don’t need an expensive bulb for the basking light. Many people use household halogen bulbs from Walmart (though be aware they can get super hot).

EnviousSins

Bearded Dragon Egg
Alright so i went to a reptile shop near me and got a uvb lamp. He told me t8 is actually better then t5. He only had a t8 hood in stock anyway. (Friggin 60 for the hood and 25.99 for the friggin bulb. Will be ordering those online next time) i noticed my beardie has darkened a lot over night. Might give her another bath to make sure shes getting enough water. I have yet to see her at her water dish... and attempt feeding in a couple hours. Just to give her time to absorb some of the uvb. I hope she eats soon x.x

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
T8 is ok, it's just not as strong. So it needs to be mounted under the mesh and closer to the basking spot. And yes, pet stores mark up prices ridiculous amounts. Just remember you won't have to replace the hood every time, just the bulb. Unless you switch over to t5 in the future. Then you'll need a new hood. :)
She darkens because she's trying to absorb more light. Do you have a temp gun or probe thermometer? You want the actual basking spot itself to be around 107* F. Once she's able to bask at the proper temperatures and receive proper UV, I think you're going to notice a big difference in her appetite and activity levels. Good job being a good beardie parent! Your baby will thank you!

EnviousSins

Bearded Dragon Egg
No unfortunately its exo terra brand bulb. The hood is reptisun tho. I can always buy another bulb online. He gave me a 15w. I hope thats right? Lolz its tough trying to decide everything. But he does own the shop and a lot of reptiles -shrugs- i also didnt expect to replace the hood all the time XD

Unfortunately i dont have a heat gun. -.- Ill have to get one later. Maybe my next paycheck or the one after. Ill just keep moving the thermometer. Im keeping it on the ground since cool air sinks. Plus i dont have velcro on this tank. Its a really long hood and i have to put it diagonal because of the basking light. She was however basking under the uvb light so hopefully she is getting enough. I dont know how id mount the hood under the screen. Its locking top, slides in and out.

Ill update again later. She refused to eat. Also developed those black rings on her belly. -sighs- i hate seeing animals stressed out.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Is there a way to zip tie it under the back of the screen and just not slide it out all the way? Or leave it cracked open and the uvb shining down with no screen blocking it? T8 isn’t strong enough to penetrate the mesh and still get enough to your baby.

For the temp gun, you can find one on amazon for $15. I know this all adds up so quickly, but at least it’s another one-time purchase. And they’re just fun to play with!

Stress marks are common on babies—especially when they’re going dark to absorb more light. If we can get that uv to her, she’ll be way happier.

Latest posts