• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lighting Question

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi all, has anyone used Reptile Black Moonlight Basking Bulb. Are they any good?

Cheers
Jane

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, Jane.
The colored bulbs are used for giving an enclosure extra heat if needed. I use the infrared sometimes if the outside temperature gets cold during winter, not often in Florida.

SxDx1986

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
okay this is wierd but alot of people say the blue and purple night lights can blind reptiles and to use a red one.(i dont have this problem bc the temp in my apartment is ideal for nighttime beardie atmosphere)...but anyway i used to use a red light up until i noticed my two were pissed off and kept awake by it.im calling bs on "studies" that say reptiles cant see red light bc its not true.in the military we use red lights at night bc theyre not as bright for night time functions.does anyone know the real answer....i mean i do know that as opposed to the purple and blue bulbs,the red give off more heat.the only time i use them is in the winter anyway and only if i have to

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
my house temp never gets below 65 or 66 at night in winter so i dont use night time heat. i dont think my power bill could handle it:oops:

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
okay this is wierd but alot of people say the blue and purple night lights can blind reptiles and to use a red one.(i dont have this problem bc the temp in my apartment is ideal for nighttime beardie atmosphere)...but anyway i used to use a red light up until i noticed my two were pissed off and kept awake by it.im calling bs on "studies" that say reptiles cant see red light bc its not true.in the military we use red lights at night bc theyre not as bright for night time functions.does anyone know the real answer....i mean i do know that as opposed to the purple and blue bulbs,the red give off more heat.the only time i use them is in the winter anyway and only if i have to
I think the red light is still visible but like you said, not as bright.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i was reading about the nights and it seems that some people opt to use these for day and night temp control, they believe that the bulbs interfere less with the reptiles perception of day and night

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i was actually thinking of these bulbs for day and only if it gets really cold at night

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i was actually thinking of these bulbs for day and only if it gets really cold at night
These bulbs are not sources of UVA or UVB & should only be used for additional heat to an enclosure.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yep, thanks for that Jeff. I am getting a UVB as well :).

Got my license today so i'll get my baby in the next day or 2. We're very excited!!!

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
By the by, the other thing i wanted to know is how long do you leave a basking light on? and what time of day is best?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep, thanks for that Jeff. I am getting a UVB as well :).

Got my license today so i'll get my baby in the next day or 2. We're very excited!!!
Congratulations! Keep us updated.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
By the by, the other thing i wanted to know is how long do you leave a basking light on? and what time of day is best?
My lighting is on for 12 1/2 hours. My UVB's come on 90 minutes b4 the basking areas turn on & they stay on 90 minutes after the basking areas turn off. My basking areas stay on for 9 1/2 hours.

Latest posts