• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Light UV and heat lamp amount

JoshWeaver92

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, im getting a bearded dragon for my daughters birthday.
Setting up and sorting the lighting, correct UV set up and heat lamp etc.

Iv bought a T5 unit, and a 24watt 12% UVB bulb from arcadia, would that be sufficient UV for the dragon?
Meaning could I get a ceramic heat lamp for the basking spot instead of a massive bulb?

Wanting to use a thermometer to keep the temp correct, and iv heard the ceramic lamps last longer and better than the heat bulbs.
But would thr one strip light give enough UVA and UVB for thr dragon?

Thanks

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, im getting a bearded dragon for my daughters birthday.
Setting up and sorting the lighting, correct UV set up and heat lamp etc.

Iv bought a T5 unit, and a 24watt 12% UVB bulb from arcadia, would that be sufficient UV for the dragon?
Meaning could I get a ceramic heat lamp for the basking spot instead of a massive bulb?

Wanting to use a thermometer to keep the temp correct, and iv heard the ceramic lamps last longer and better than the heat bulbs.
But would thr one strip light give enough UVA and UVB for thr dragon?

Thanks
You are going in the right direction --- the Arcadia Pro T 5 is a great UVB --- the CHE not so much - they are only good for heat at night if your tank is falling below 65 ambient at night- you need a good solid bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 for a baby up to 6 months or 95-100 for a 6 month and older - no off white - yellowish- colored or daytime bulbs -- Flukers basking Exo Terra Intense or a Arcadia halogen are good ones -- you want 2 digital probe thermometers for accurate surface basking temps -- I will help you place the UVB for the screen on the tank -- is it a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type?

JoshWeaver92

Bearded Dragon Egg
You are going in the right direction --- the Arcadia Pro T 5 is a great UVB --- the CHE not so much - they are only good for heat at night if your tank is falling below 65 ambient at night- you need a good solid bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 for a baby up to 6 months or 95-100 for a 6 month and older - no off white - yellowish- colored or daytime bulbs -- Flukers basking Exo Terra Intense or a Arcadia halogen are good ones -- you want 2 digital probe thermometers for accurate surface basking temps -- I will help you place the UVB for the screen on the tank -- is it a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type?
My wife bought this one to go in it, but its massive in the viv, and it will be too close and burn the dragon.
So I was thinking of cutting a hole in the top to make it higher, but was worried about doing so.

The viv is 3ft × 1 x 1, but will be for a baby dragon, so will invest in a bigger viv when it's older.

What do u mean for the screen on the tank? Do u mean like the mesh that the bulb would sit in? We dont have one of them, but just a holder for it to go in.

Attachments

• 1701901941980540471236765254957.jpg
    1701901941980540471236765254957.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 17019019589556531345162752252402.jpg
    17019019589556531345162752252402.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 17019019827875395115264737522113.jpg
    17019019827875395115264737522113.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 1701902204703529791445280178821.jpg
    1701902204703529791445280178821.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 17019022301685484074450143924332.jpg
    17019022301685484074450143924332.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My wife bought this one to go in it, but its massive in the viv, and it will be too close and burn the dragon.
So I was thinking of cutting a hole in the top to make it higher, but was worried about doing so.

The viv is 3ft × 1 x 1, but will be for a baby dragon, so will invest in a bigger viv when it's older.

What do u mean for the screen on the tank? Do u mean like the mesh that the bulb would sit in? We dont have one of them, but just a holder for it to go in.
I would take the MVB back and get a regular basking bulb- the MVB's are good for heat not so much UVB but its actually over kill -- and you want a good one (brand)--- those would be a Mega Ray or PowerSun - you already have a good UVB so a regular basking bulb would do - they are not as expensive as MVB's especially good ones -- your going to need a bigger tank by the time the dragon is 6 months old for sure --- they dont stay little long - by the time hes / she is a 6 months and that is pushing it your gonna want a tank of 120 gallon or a 4x2x2 ---- I have links for tanks if you want them -- that is the optimal size tank for a full grown dragon

JoshWeaver92

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would take the MVB back and get a regular basking bulb- the MVB's are good for heat not so much UVB but its actually over kill -- and you want a good one (brand)--- those would be a Mega Ray or PowerSun - you already have a good UVB so a regular basking bulb would do - they are not as expensive as MVB's especially good ones -- your going to need a bigger tank by the time the dragon is 6 months old for sure --- they dont stay little long - by the time hes / she is a 6 months and that is pushing it your gonna want a tank of 120 gallon or a 4x2x2 ---- I have links for tanks if you want them -- that is the optimal size tank for a full grown dragon
Whats an MVB sorry?
And ye will look at bigger ones in 6 months down the line.

What wattage would you reccomend for a basking bulb.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Whats an MVB sorry?

Start w/ a 75 watt this will be trial and error but you must have the digital probe thermometer that's going to tell you also that's a 20 gallon tank hes gonna out grow it in 4 months - the small tanks are hard to keep temps and the uvb place on top of tank no screen those 12% bulbs need a distance of 12 inches or more - mvb is a mercury vapor bulb - they are a all in one heat and uvb but lack uvb required for the dragon- I don't use them they the good ones are spendy and need changed out in 6 months- good for heat lack uvb

JoshWeaver92

Bearded Dragon Egg
Start w/ a 75 watt this will be trial and error but you must have the digital probe thermometer that's going to tell you also that's a 20 gallon tank hes gonna out grow it in 4 months - the small tanks are hard to keep temps and the uvb place on top of tank no screen those 12% bulbs need a distance of 12 inches or more - mvb is a mercury vapor bulb - they are a all in one heat and uvb but lack uvb required for the dragon- I don't use them they the good ones are spendy and need changed out in 6 months- good for heat lack uvb
What about distance wise with the large MVB, can I cut a hole in the top of the viv so it's far enough away from the dragon?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What about distance wise with the large MVB, can I cut a hole in the top of the viv so it's far enough away from the dragon?
You haft to go by your digital probe thermometer- you can cut a hole in the screen for the uvb rays but do not use the mvb you have - please get a mega ray or powersun- better quality- start w/ a 80 watt- your bulbs are extremely important for the overall health of the dragon- if it's too hot for surface basking temps you may have to get a stand so you can raise the lamp- try it w/ out see what kind of temps you get- you don't want to cook the dragon

JoshWeaver92

Bearded Dragon Egg
You haft to go by your digital probe thermometer- you can cut a hole in the screen for the uvb rays but do not use the mvb you have - please get a mega ray or powersun- better quality- start w/ a 80 watt- your bulbs are extremely important for the overall health of the dragon- if it's too hot for surface basking temps you may have to get a stand so you can raise the lamp- try it w/ out see what kind of temps you get- you don't want to cook the dragon
Ye thats the problem, the viv is only a foot high.
So I was thinking of cutting a hole in the top to make the bulb higher....?
That OK to do?

JoshWeaver92

Bearded Dragon Egg
Whats an MVB sorry?

There's a decent offer on a 80w power sun bulb, but it says not to be used with a thermostat?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ye thats the problem, the viv is only a foot high.
So I was thinking of cutting a hole in the top to make the bulb higher....?
That OK to do?
Yes but your digital probe thermometer is going to tell you how high or low it needs to be - 12 inch tanks are hard to get temps - I always recommend tanks no lower than 18 inches tall- easier to work w/ getting uvb situated and surface basking temps--

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There's a decent offer on a 80w power sun bulb, but it says not to be used with a thermostat?
Yes do not use it w/ a dimmer or thermostat

JoshWeaver92

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes but your digital probe thermometer is going to tell you how high or low it needs to be - 12 inch tanks are hard to get temps - I always recommend tanks no lower than 18 inches tall- easier to work w/ getting uvb situated and
So just keep an eye on the thermometer and change position and turn off when needed?
What if it drops temp overnight?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So just keep an eye on the thermometer and change position and turn off when needed?
What if it drops temp overnight?
Dragons need a 12 hr photo period ---- they like cool and dark to sleep --- all lights off at night- temps in the tank need to be 65-75 for optimal sleeping --- watch your probe thermometer for surface basking temps - that temp is going to keep your ambient temps in that area to what they should be 90's to around 100 - your dragon will pick a spot under the lamp that he likes - nothing over 110 for basking -- your tank will drop at night to what your house temp is so if you have a cold house some people do I dont I keep my house around 71 or so -- my tanks are around that temp -- you can use analogs for ambient temps but you want that digital probe for surface basking temps - it does not need to stay on the decor piece you can stick it to the side of the tank w/ some two sided tape - spot check every 2 weeks or so bulbs do lose their intensity for heat -- you also want a digital probe hygrometer something like this https://dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer?_pos=1&_sid=ac857912b&_ss=r place the probe on the back center wall of the tank optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20 or over 70% --- in the winter time I haft to run a humidifier it sits in between my two tanks - MN winters get really dry --

JoshWeaver92

Bearded Dragon Egg
Dragons need a 12 hr photo period ---- they like cool and dark to sleep --- all lights off at night- temps in the tank need to be 65-75 for optimal sleeping --- watch your probe thermometer for surface basking temps - that temp is going to keep your ambient temps in that area to what they should be 90's to around 100 - your dragon will pick a spot under the lamp that he likes - nothing over 110 for basking -- your tank will drop at night to what your house temp is so if you have a cold house some people do I dont I keep my house around 71 or so -- my tanks are around that temp -- you can use analogs for ambient temps but you want that digital probe for surface basking temps - it does not need to stay on the decor piece you can stick it to the side of the tank w/ some two sided tape - spot check every 2 weeks or so bulbs do lose their intensity for heat -- you also want a digital probe hygrometer something like this https://dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer?_pos=1&_sid=ac857912b&_ss=r place the probe on the back center wall of the tank optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20 or over 70% --- in the winter time I haft to run a humidifier it sits in between my two tanks - MN winters get really dry --
Fantastic, thank you so much.
Whats MN?

Just double checked viv size, it's 3ft x 16 inches x 14.5 inches.

JoshWeaver92

Bearded Dragon Egg
Fantastic, thank you so much.
Whats MN?

Just double checked viv size, it's 3ft x 16 inches x 14.5 inches.
Right now her room is 13c, and probably won't come up much from that overnight.

Would a heat mat keep the temp up in the viv overnight? As we wouldn't want the bulb on to disturb the dragon no?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So its a 40 gallon tank? MN is Minnesota
He will be fine in that for a while but I would get him moved into a larger tank 4x2x2 by the time hes a year

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Right now her room is 13c, and probably won't come up much from that overnight.

Would a heat mat keep the temp up in the viv overnight? As we wouldn't want the bulb on to disturb the dragon no?
the temp is 55 degrees ? That is a cold room--- no heat mat -- dragons heat from their backs not stomachs you want a CHE -- ceramic heat emitter - for a 40 gallon tank you want a 100 watt bulb placed on the top of screen middle of tank -- these produce heat NO light
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...-infrared-heat-emitter?variant=26907342897252
https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/fixtures/products/zoo-med-mini-deep-dome
temps between 65-75 at night

JoshWeaver92

Bearded Dragon Egg
He will be fine in that for a while but I would get him moved into a larger tank 4x2x2 by the time hes a year
Ok good to know about the viv size.
What about the overnight temp?

Would a heat mat be ok for that?

Even in our summer we wouldn't have that overnight, we're in Wales UK.

Latest posts