• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lifeless not eating dragon !

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thats a good idea. The older they get, the more they are able to deal with some of the common problems they face in the captive environment. For new keepers, I almost always recommend getting one at least six months old.

Before you get a new one though, we should get you set up with a better UV light and get you studying the nutrition page here
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

rybreadd33

Bearded Dragon Egg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402228031.209616.jpg

colin

Hatchling Dragon
No I that's not a UVB buddy I think we may have found the reason fir what's happened the pet shop has sold you a setup without a UVB...

As for the purple light regulating the temp they meant at night as that bulb would not be able to do anything but add more heat if in at same time as basking light :-(

colin

Hatchling Dragon
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402229320.820480.jpg

As you can see I have a basking light which is right over the rock that George is sitting on.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402229553.355998.jpg

Next to that is a black ceramic heater which turns on at night to keep the temperature regulated by providing heat without light when the temps drop allowing George to sleep peacefully.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402229572.357452.jpg

The long tube light along the back is the UVB light which should be a maximum of 6 inches away from your beardie. This helps your beardie digest calcium you dust your feed with and also digest food... These can come in a bulb format but are all bright like the tube, the light you have shown me looks like a night light I'm afraid :-(

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402229599.157825.jpg

I regulate all the lights on timers for day and night time.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402229653.829216.jpg

And the temperatures are regulated by thermostats.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402229701.183247.jpg

Attached to the thermostat is a sensor which goes into the centre of the viv, and hangs down from the roof if the viv ensuring that the air temp is correct and it will regulate the power going in and out of the bulbs/heaters which increases the temp and cools if needed by turning off till the temp drops, I will go into the diff types of thermostats later if you need me to.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402229754.487931.jpg

On each end of my viv I have digital thermometers...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402229894.518808.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402229913.653196.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402229927.355598.jpg

Hot side and cool side so that the dragon can move to what ever is comfortable fir him/her.

The thermometer receivers are on either end at same height near wher the dragon sits...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402230012.396145.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402230047.781276.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402230025.597129.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402230084.665847.jpg

There are many set ups and ideas but this is what u use and my babies are thriving..

I hope this makes sense and questions please ask..

My initial setup cist a lot of money but my second one was really cheap by purchasing the stuff on eBay...

If you get a set up sorted first then the rest should be really easy..

I will be changing to tiles when I can afford it but while I have a sand substrate I place a tub of calcium in and my dragons go to it if they are low on calcium and so far so good with stools and eating :)

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
One thing i may add is that one temp probe should be placed right on the basking spot directly where your beardie sits so you know what the actual basking temp is. If its just on the side of the tank it may not read correctly. The spot where your beardie sits is probably going to be hotter than the side of the viv. Just a suggestion. uploadfromtaptalk1402236448285.jpgsomething like this. Now when i move it to the side wall of my viv the temp is about 10-12° different.

colin

Hatchling Dragon
One thing i may add is that one temp probe should be placed right on the basking spot directly where your beardie sits so you know what the actual basking temp is. If its just on the side of the tank it may not read correctly. The spot where your beardie sits is probably going to be hotter than the side of the viv. Just a suggestion. View attachment 8760something like this. Now when i move it to the side wall of my viv the temp is about 10-12° different.

Yes that's correct sorry I should have mentioned that...

The rock absorbs the heat very well and therefore it is slightly hotter on the rock than where the digital prob is and for that reason I have the thermostat set slightly lower to ensure the rock is at 40 - 43 degrees C, approximately 5 - 10 degrees higher than the digital reading.

I know this because I have an infra red temperature gun which I use to check the rock directly under the spot light and the beardie under it.

I have to do this because Bella is a very greedy dragon and eats everything and anything and I caught her with the digital thermometer prob in her mouth and a wire hanging out lol so I had to raise it :-0

;-)

colin

Hatchling Dragon
Lol oh wow ya that makes sense. That woulda freaked me out

It did I was freaking right out and thought oh no how am I going to explain this to the vet!!

But luckily it came out easily lol...

She is a little monster full of mischief and as brave as a bear...

Fantastic character though I have a funny video where she chases my nose at the viv as she is constantly peeking out at me to see what's going on but I can't post videos on here...

Besides I make a prat of myself lol I talk to her really funny lol...

will_him_is

Juvenile Dragon
View attachment 8746

As you can see I have a basking light which is right over the rock that George is sitting on.

View attachment 8747

Next to that is a black ceramic heater which turns on at night to keep the temperature regulated by providing heat without light when the temps drop allowing George to sleep peacefully.

View attachment 8748

The long tube light along the back is the UVB light which should be a maximum of 6 inches away from your beardie. This helps your beardie digest calcium you dust your feed with and also digest food... These can come in a bulb format but are all bright like the tube, the light you have shown me looks like a night light I'm afraid :-(

View attachment 8749

I regulate all the lights on timers for day and night time.

View attachment 8750

And the temperatures are regulated by thermostats.

View attachment 8751

Attached to the thermostat is a sensor which goes into the centre of the viv, and hangs down from the roof if the viv ensuring that the air temp is correct and it will regulate the power going in and out of the bulbs/heaters which increases the temp and cools if needed by turning off till the temp drops, I will go into the diff types of thermostats later if you need me to.

View attachment 8752

On each end of my viv I have digital thermometers...

View attachment 8753

View attachment 8754

View attachment 8755

Hot side and cool side so that the dragon can move to what ever is comfortable fir him/her.

The thermometer receivers are on either end at same height near wher the dragon sits...

View attachment 8756

View attachment 8758

View attachment 8757

View attachment 8759

There are many set ups and ideas but this is what u use and my babies are thriving..

I hope this makes sense and questions please ask..

My initial setup cist a lot of money but my second one was really cheap by purchasing the stuff on eBay...

If you get a set up sorted first then the rest should be really easy..

I will be changing to tiles when I can afford it but while I have a sand substrate I place a tub of calcium in and my dragons go to it if they are low on calcium and so far so good with stools and eating :)
Thats a really nice set up. Thanks for sharing