• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just had me the scare of the year !

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
While we were all joking around, my son, John took the dogs outside to go potty...
Chelsea our 7+ year old blue heeler female got her lips wrapped around a huge carpenter bee !
Once James and I saw that, dangling from john's fingers we lunged for it, but john just tossed it back to the floor, chelsea grabbed it up again, and we chased her around until she dropped it...
Minutes later she threw up twice, messy, and started to breath really really hard.
I called the vet, and as we got into the truck to go there, she started the shaking... hard.
Just minutes later, and thank you higher being for directing law officers elsewhere, we were at that office, and she was seen by our Awesome vet..
He gave her a shot, Gina said Adrenalin... shaking stopped... She's gonna stay at the vets for a few hours for observation..
Whew... Not my idea of a fun afternoon, That !
Just hadda share!
Janie

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She was stable when we left... I'll be picking her back up around 6ish.. *crosses fingers*.
Janie

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh man! Very sorry to hear, but happy that she's doing better. I hope she continues to improve. That just stinks!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh just a page out of a day in the life... Of Janie.
NO autographs please.
Janie

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
OH MAN JANIE!!!! How upsetting is that? Hope she'll be OK!!! Glad the vet was close and you got her there OK!!! I wondered about those things because they are all over the place and in numbers this year. I have a Beardie I must watch very closely because he loves to "catch" his own food when we are outside. He is crippled but can move like a flash when he wants to!!! Keep us posted!!!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Will do ! And do you know.. John hasn't asked or said one word ?
sheesh.
Janie

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
He probably feels bad Janie!!! :( Men tend to keep thier traps shut when they are upset. At least mine do.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
John has some...interesting differences... He is a high functioning Autism. Aspergers Syndrome.
He was so convinced she was fine, because "dead bees don't have stingers."

Uhg.
Janie

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
sorry Vesta, you know we're pickin.
[/quo

I know Gina!!! : )

What's this post about? Looks like it's in the wrong place!!! LOL!!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yup, She's good... Trying to mug Johnny's geckos while I'm feeding.
Thanks everyone !
Janie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh, Janie! How scary! I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything works out great.

We've had a time with bees, wasps and hornets this year. It's ONLY April!

I do have to ask. Sorry, not an expert in these areas. From what we researched, carpenter bees do not have a stinger. Are they poisonous?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Renee, Carpenters do have a stinger... Bumblebees don't.

So yes there was a toxin present, when Chelsea reacted. Happy to report she was busy whining over geckos last night at feeding time... For some reason she wants to lick dragons and geckos... Not eat them.... lick them. *shrugs*, at any rate... we all had a scare, but quick reaction time, and a vet close by ended this episode happily !
Thanks everyone for staying with me and without.. since I went to bed early !
Janie...

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
She's like me and just wants to kiss them Janie!!! ;D

I too am glad your pup made it through OK!! These animals keep us on our toes!!!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
Renee, Carpenters do have a stinger... Bumblebees don't.

Janie...

Really? Huh. I'm all confused. I thought it was the other way around. I guess I should tell hubby to stop going after them with the T-ball bat. Especially since the other day, when he went for the home run, it died after being stopped by my foot.

Anyway, I'm glad everything worked out.

Latest posts