• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Jumping and swimming against the glass

aiden1024

Hatchling Dragon
I have a question for all you beardie lovers
I have the beardie in a 40 gallon breeder tank I don't have a top for it
Will this guy be able to jump out?
Or can he climb glass

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2

ravenwolf

Juvenile Dragon
They can jump pretty high and its a lot easier to maintain a heat when its got a top on it so yeah i would reckon it would be a good idea

aiden1024

Hatchling Dragon
Ok I guess he's gonna go in the 55 gallon
Thank you

aiden1024

Hatchling Dragon
55 Is in the house now. ..lol
I used this tank for the leopard geckos
The screen top is not a tight fit
And now the uvb doesn't seem like it's reaching him.

uploadfromtaptalk1375648154905.jpg

tj4x4fun

Hatchling Dragon
The 40b is a much better tank. More floor area especially when it gets bigger. He needs to be within 8" of the UVB. I would move him back and just get a screen top for. Petco for 20.00. Then you can mount the light in the tank. Here is how mine is set up.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375650392.950701.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375650411.418721.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375650431.534811.jpg

The light has screws going threw the metal mesh into the housing. Works well and mulan can get out

aiden1024

Hatchling Dragon
That's the heat bulb I have the uvb in a clamp dome fixture
The only reason it's so low in there is because it's a 100 watt bulb and if it were any higher then the heat probe wouldn't register the heat

aiden1024

Hatchling Dragon
Oh and I got a screen top from petco for 20.00 but it was too big
It hung off the front. ..rear...and sides 3 inches

tj4x4fun

Hatchling Dragon
I'd go exchange it. Ours fits perfect. Maybe it was mislabeled. I just herd that the 55s are to skinny for them to turn around in when they become full grown. I'm sure it is fine for now. Once ours gets full size she is getting a 4'x18"x18"

aiden1024

Hatchling Dragon
4ft long 3ft wide and 2 ft tall I think
I'm not really sure I measure 1 time and cut 2 times lol

thorn

Hatchling Dragon
When you feed a baby in a tank as big as a 55 you could use some Cardboard block off around half the tank otherwise he won't be able to find the crickets as well and some times not at all. I know you said you weren't going to use the 55 for ever and I just wanted to say you can use it for a long time. I use a 55 gal for about 6 months till I saw a 40 gal breeder for sale for like 40 bucks. Oh my dragon was full grown in the 55. He did t look happy at all but it worked till I could get a better tank.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have never run into issues of an enclosure being 'too big' for even a baby/juvenile. The main issue that generally arises is that keepers clutter the enclosures with what I call unnecessary 'garbage', creating their own headaches by providing too many obstacles & hiding spots for the feeders. Partitioning off often throws out the balance to achieve the required heat gradient in the enclosure.

aiden1024

Hatchling Dragon
I got a text yesterday and I'm getting a 90 gallon for him

thorn

Hatchling Dragon
I have never run into issues of an enclosure being 'too big' for even a baby/juvenile. The main issue that generally arises is that keepers clutter the enclosures with what I call unnecessary 'garbage', creating their own headaches by providing too many obstacles & hiding spots for the feeders. Partitioning off often throws out the balance to achieve the required heat gradient in the enclosure.

Well a 55 gal is just two 20 gal long fish tanks side by side and about 2x as tall. So if you blocked off half you should still have a 20gal long tank left over for the lizard to be in.

aiden1024

Hatchling Dragon
I have a 40 breeder here and I also have a 20l. ..but unfortunately I dint have tops for them

thorn

Hatchling Dragon
Tops are nice for several reasons like the ones stated above but I took mine off my tank because it kept getting in the way of me picking him up and putting him away. But if you have some resting spots that are like 60% your dragons body leanth I would just use a top to be safe.
EDIT:
Oh just so you know 90gal tanks are not to be joked with. They are HUGE weigh well over 100lbs empty and take tons and tons of light. So if you get one and use it then be ready to buy more lights. Oh and FYI once your dragon is 10 inches if you want to use sand you will need to buy atleast 100lbs if not more just to get it to cover the bottom of the tank.

aiden1024

Hatchling Dragon
To be honest with you. ..I haven't seen it
He said it was 4x2.5x2.5 and I did a Google search and the measurements fit a 90 gallon
He used to have snakes and other reptiles and they either died off or he sold them off
He said it was pretty much glass tho. .so I don't really know what to expect

Latest posts