• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

It's a really sad time..

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yesterday, every suite in our apartment got a letter. It was giving us some 'reminders', and one of them stated that 'this is a NO PET apartment'. It was fine before, as my landlords (which are my aunt and uncle) knew that I had lizards. Now, it may come to the situation where management might pop in and do a check for pets??? I don't know. But if I keep my dragons and I get caught, it's possible that we may get evicted. My mom and her boyfriend won't be thrilled if that happened, as we really have nowhere to go, in the time frame of 24 hours (24 hour eviction notice). Now it really comes down where I need to decide what I need to do, and quick. Basically, I either have to rehome my 3 dragons, or we have to move. And if we move, I have to pay rent, as renting anywhere else is not cheap. I've already moved twice in a year and moving again will just be hard... I really don't know what else to do here. I cried so much yesterday, because I can't even come to the thought of giving mine up. Especially my babies, because they've been with me pretty much their whole life, and I want to watch them grow up. Losing them is like losing a family member - and I don't want to lose anymore family. :'(

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can certainly understand your dilemma....and am so glad I don't have to make that decision. I feel for ya....

Not sure that I have any advice....just wanted to chat and let you know that I'm really sorry you're having to go through this. :(

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh, Melissa. What a horrible situation to be in. I truly feel for you. I'd be distraught too if I were faced with these decisions. Like Craig, I don't have any words of wisdom. This is a tough call.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This may be a long shot but most places do not consider certain animals as "pets". Many apartments that I have inquired about that said "no pets" really just meant mostly dogs and so so on cats. Fish and reptiles and anything that is "constantly caged" and can't do damage to the complex is allowed. Is there any possible way you can write to them and ask? Even if you say for example,

To whom it may concern,
I had a question upon receiving your letter about having no pets in the complex. Are there any animals allowed such as fish and small reptiles that are kept in a tank all day? These animals cannot cause any harm to the complex or it's tenants and I was thinking about getting one for the apartment if it did not go against any rules. Thank you for your time.

(Insert your name here)

If you were to get random inspections, just place the bug bin under the sink or in a bedroom closet until they are gone. Heck you could even toss them all in a bag or small box and place them in the washing machine and then put them back.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So sorry...I like Candice's idea...you can give it a try. I know where I rented from before did not consider the dragons pets just as they did not consider birds, hamsters and fish pets.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Candice, that is actually a great idea. Also, as you were saying that some do not consider certain animals as 'pet', I think about that too. Because like, my aunt and uncle (landlords) know I have lizards, but did not say anything about it. So, if they say it's alright, it wouldn't exactly be my fault (if something happens, like 'disobeying' the rules of no pets), right? I'm trying to think of all possibilities and views here. My sister (she lives in the same apartment) had rabbits before, the landlords knew and even saw them, and said it was alright to have them, because they are caged. I also talked to my friend who is in the same situation (living in a no pet rental), and she says to not worry about it because they are caged.

Man, I wish 'Fluffly's Law' here in Manitoba passed. Everything would be less complex.

I thought about this; I'll keep my lizards till I get 'caught'. My sister told me that you can't get evicted just like that - they will give you a warning first. At least till then, I should be okay.

What do you guys think?

JustaV

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Im not sure where you live but at least in North Carolina you have 30 days after bein evicted, and her caged animals arent considered "pets" their faMILY LOL

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think thats a good idea...I did not tell my landlady that I have cats...what she does not know cant hurt her. I have had cats my whole life, growing up in my parents house that they rented and all of my adult life that I rented and never got caught with a cat or 3. I have even had inspections done and they still did not find the cats. I think the letter was just to scare people, don't really think they are going to do random searches for pets...now if you get reported that would be a different story. I say keep them till you get caught.

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
eh idk, the last apartment complex i was in said they would be doing random searches at least every 3 months, and they were there every time, guess it just depends on where u live i guess. ide go with the letter imo, and if they say no, u can at least move them until the inspections are over right?

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sandra, now I have re-thought this all. I was thinking to keep them till I get caught. I asked my mom about getting a warning before eviction, but apparently there are no 'warnings'. One offence and you're gone. This changes things. Plus, the owner is apparently a mean person (putting that nicely).

grimm, the thing about the inspections is that it could happen anytime. Apparently management can pop in anytime they feel - no notice required. I don't know how she (my mom) knows this, because it sounds like a load of crap. I know they own the building and everything, but they can't just randomly come in when you're not home and 'take a look at things'. I don't think that's allowed?

As for moving, searching for somewhere to rent that is pet-friendly is nearly impossible. The only places available are in a bad area, which we do not want to live in a bad neighbourhood. So moving isn't an easy option.

Tomorrow or whenever my landlord is available to talk, I am going to ask them what the no-pet policy is here (can't write owners a letter, because they are really mean people, who are probably not at the very least considerate), if the owners consider caged animals 'pets'.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't know the laws there, but I know in the US they can not just come in without just cause. If there is a pipe broke or something like that I know they can just come in. Other than that they have to give you 24 hour notice. That is how I have been able to get away with having cats for so long. The place I just moved from did inspections every 3 months and I would move the 3 cats and 1 dog to my sisters for the day and after the inspection pick them up. When I lived in my apartment a couple of years ago they would come in every 3 months and change air filters and check smoke detectors and at the time I only had one cat to hide so I would put her box in the closet and she hid herself. I would talk to them first and see what happens.

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
as far as i know in like 99% of renters contracts, they are allowed to do inspections, but im pretty sure the law is u have to be there, unless for emergency repair, but i was really sure any eviction in the us has to have a 30 day notice, u could call your local police department and ask, as they are the ones who have to handle the majority of evictions.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well, I talked to my landlord. All of my dragons need to go. I really don't know how I'm going to handle this... :'(

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
signs-and-flags045.gif

Thats terrible . . . . Was really hoping the reptiles aren't pets would pass. What do they say about fish and stuff? I mean really its absurd, its not like beardies are free roaming/stinky/noisy animals.

I am so sorry . . . wish there was something to say/do to help

Jiffy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I am so sorry, that is horrible. I had a thought though. Do you think you could offer him a small pet security deposit (even if it is nonrefundable). He knows that a caged animal is not going to hurt anything, and maybe he will like the idea of having a little extra cash. Just make sure that if he does, you get something in writing that they are allowed.

Good luck to you. Keep us updated.

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Pogie said:
signs-and-flags045.gif

Thats terrible . . . . Was really hoping the reptiles aren't pets would pass. What do they say about fish and stuff? I mean really its absurd, its not like beardies are free roaming/stinky/noisy animals.

I am so sorry . . . wish there was something to say/do to help

as far as fish tanks, most places dont allow them because if a fish tank breaks when no one is home it can ruin all the wood and carpet.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Monique, I was thinking positive before I asked my landlord because I didn't think either that reptiles would consider to be 'pets'. It is just stupid...

Jiffy, that does sound like a good idea, but we are looking for a place to move, so an extra deposit would kinda be a waste if I stayed here for only a few months more... especially if it was non-refundable.

I did have 2 people offering to take care of them, so that's something good.. And then when I move, the person taking care of them will let me take them back. When they do leave, as Candice suggested, I might just write a letter asking if these small caged animals could be an exception. At least when I write this letter and the owners get suspicious for some reason, and comes in here to make sure I have nothing, there will be nothing!

crystal9534

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
wow thats a really crappy situation. thank goodness for friends and family willing to help out! everything will work out in the end

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardie_love said:
Well, I talked to my landlord. All of my dragons need to go. I really don't know how I'm going to handle this... :'(

Oh geez.....I'm so sorry to hear this. :(

JustaV

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Im so sorry to about your situation, good luck on finding a new place to keep your babies.

Latest posts