• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this bad?

Jorge Morales

Bearded Dragon Egg
I know it is unnatural, but is it likely a parasite, or something different like constipation or just a weird one time thing?
1540969537610-1554976486.jpg

Jorge Morales

Bearded Dragon Egg
It was given to me a few months ago and it does not have hide which does not allow me to give it a hotspot over 100°. It is usually high 80's half the day and reaches 90° the other half. I have not started using the heater for nights but will very soon because winter is coming.

M

Masonbushell4664

It was given to me a few months ago and it does not have hide which does not allow me to give it a hotspot over 100°. It is usually high 80's half the day and reaches 90° the other half. I have not started using the heater for nights but will very soon because winter is coming.
The poo looks like that because of your temps. They are too low. They need to be between 100 to 110 for your beardie to digest properly. Also if the viv doesn’t get below 55 you don’t need a night time heater. The lizard needs that night time to cool down and if there’s a heater they can not do so.

Jorge Morales

Bearded Dragon Egg
Makes perfect sense. Also, have you seen it like this before (just to lower my stress a bit lol) or is it just an assumption and I should still keep a very close watch? Either way I'll still take your advice:)

M

Masonbushell4664

Makes perfect sense. Also, have you seen it like this before (just to lower my stress a bit lol) or is it just an assumption and I should still keep a very close watch? Either way I'll still take your advice:)
I would say keep a eye but I think it’s just food that’s not digested all the way because off the low temps. The water is partly normal like if your dragons had lots of fruit or veg it can be watery but that’s not anything to worry about from one poo. Have you been giving lots of baths?

Jorge Morales

Bearded Dragon Egg
Not a lot but it's had some, I'd say like once every two weeks. Would you suggest more or would that just cause too much stress.

M

Masonbushell4664

Not a lot but it's had some, I'd say like once every two weeks. Would you suggest more or would that just cause too much stress.
Well it’s not so much stressful because some lizards may enjoy it but baths are not actually good for them because the warm water acts as a laxative which basically forces them to poo when they are not ready to which can lead to dehydration. Also the water can lead to infection. But once a week or two is fine. I just wanted to check because some people will give baths to help them poo because they think it is good when it is totally normal for a adult beardie to go once every 3 weeks.

Jorge Morales

Bearded Dragon Egg
Alright thanks for everything bro. Im still a little worried but you've helped a lot. I've had other reptiles/amphibians but this is my first beardie. If there's anything i might not know let me know. Like a got scared when she had a little mini brumation lol

M

Masonbushell4664

Alright thanks for everything bro. Im still a little worried but you've helped a lot. I've had other reptiles/amphibians but this is my first beardie. If there's anything i might not know let me know. Like a got scared when she had a little mini brumation lol
I’ve had one beardie 5 years and one 3 weeks and I have had so many worries luckily I’ve never had brumation but I have had pooing troubles but I think the temps are the main problem but there will be times where the poo is not 100% but once every now and then isn’t really much to worry about. If you have Facebook join a group called bearded dragons network. If you ever have a question there are tons of people who can answer.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, getting the temps right is essential but it's worth considering that this could also be due to a dietry issue. Eating too many fatty worms can cause poop to look like this or food with a high water content like fruit. There are a few threads here from people who had a similar problem, often a change of diet is all that is needed. It can sometimes be something you wouldnt normally even consider- a case in point is here:
https://beardeddragonforum.com/threads/poop-problems-no-parasites.20196/

A check for parasites is a good idea too if you havent already had her seen by a vet.

Latest posts