• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this a decent set up?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think I mis read earlier. Looked like you wrote soil without anything, mixed with sand.
Yes sand mixed w/ potting soil w/ no fertilizers --- sorry --- she should be good till next week for the UVB --- I am sorry about the weather where you are --- let me know when it comes in

Mimosa

Hatchling Dragon
Yes sand mixed w/ potting soil w/ no fertilizers --- sorry --- she should be good till next week for the UVB --- I am sorry about the weather where you are --- let me know when it comes in
So, no sand and had top soil but not potting soil. Got the top soils just in case but it’s packed with twigs. Has no fertilizers or such.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So, no sand and had top soil but not potting soil. Got the top soils just in case but it’s packed with twigs. Has no fertilizers or such.
Ok good typo on my part-

Mimosa

Hatchling Dragon
Good news! I found the uvb light locally. Also got a higher watt basking light just in case. And got sand. Got hornworms and super worms as well. My sister was kind enough to help me find everything ❤️ I have a large tote I was going to do mixture for her laying, was thinking I could lay screen from terrarium up top and have her in there while I’m at work. Magazín, a million thanks!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good news! I found the uvb light locally. Also got a higher watt basking light just in case. And got sand. Got hornworms and super worms as well. My sister was kind enough to help me find everything ❤️ I have a large tote I was going to do mixture for her laying, was thinking I could lay screen from terrarium up top and have her in there while I’m at work. Magazín, a million thanks!
Ok good what kind of screen is on the tank? Fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type- this will determine where the UVB needs to go --

Mimosa

Hatchling Dragon
Ok good what kind of screen is on the tank? Fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type- this will determine where the UVB needs to go --
I guess “wide” hole type. Though I would say it’s more in between the two as the holes are quite small but it’s not a fine mesh, it’s a solid metal.

Attachments

• 72FEE4F2-090F-468E-BB16-4BA2C4C5FF11.jpeg
    72FEE4F2-090F-468E-BB16-4BA2C4C5FF11.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 8

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I guess “wide” hole type. Though I would say it’s more in between the two as the holes are quite small but it’s not a fine mesh, it’s a solid metal.
Ok try it on top of screen for now 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor - I am concerned w/ how thick the screen is- does it look really thick ? Screens block uvb rays 30%

Mimosa

Hatchling Dragon
Ok try it on top of screen for now 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor - I am concerned w/ how thick the screen is- does it look really thick ? Screens block uvb rays 30%
My friend who has similar mounted his inside as he said screen was too thick for it to be efficient on top. I’ll have it in too until I get home from work as it was a struggle to attach, screws it came with were tiny.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My friend who has similar mounted his inside as he said screen was too thick for it to be efficient on top. I’ll have it in too until I get home from work as it was a struggle to attach, screws it came with were tiny.
Ok then definitely put it inside 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor-- you can use long plastic zip ties-or fishing line-or picture wire hangers-or 3 M Velcro fasteners

Mimosa

Hatchling Dragon
Ok then definitely put it inside 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor-- you can use long plastic zip ties-or fishing line-or picture wire hangers-or 3 M Velcro fasteners
Gonna look to see what I find to attach it. Questing about lay box, do they normally dig head first? She seems to be using her head and it’s sticking to her. Concerned about sand and dirt in her eyes and nose. Moved her to big lay box while I cleaned her terrarium and tried to figure out how to leave small one in there.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Gonna look to see what I find to attach it. Questing about lay box, do they normally dig head first? She seems to be using her head and it’s sticking to her. Concerned about sand and dirt in her eyes and nose. Moved her to big lay box while I cleaned her terrarium and tried to figure out how to leave small one in there.
I am not sure but I will post this lay question to someone who will know-

Mimosa

Hatchling Dragon
I am not sure but I will post this lay question to someone who will know-
She laid 15 eggs tonight. It was close to lights out time so took her out lay bin and gave her a lil warm bath to get soil off and when I laid her in her enclosure she started popping out eggs. I may be scarred for life lol.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She laid 15 eggs tonight. It was close to lights out time so took her out lay bin and gave her a lil warm bath to get soil off and when I laid her in her enclosure she started popping out eggs. I may be scarred for life lol.
Wow ok shes going to need extra calcium - I have posted your question about the digging and now the calcium she needs as well

Mimosa

Hatchling Dragon
Wow ok shes going to need extra calcium - I have posted your question about the digging and now the calcium she needs as well
The thermometer and hygrometer, where do I place for accurate reading? If it’s not warm enough would a higher watt bulb help or heat pad? I clicked in pic where it’s at right now. That’s her basking area and where she sleeps. It’s 7am here and it’s ready 69 and 54 humidity.
I placed in in center of the screen. Hoping the command strips hold.

Mimosa

Hatchling Dragon
Will basking light melt the plasti on uvb light? Couldn’t figure out how to get it to not be directly above uvb light unless I put to very front of enclosure. Accidente melted edge of enclosure yesterday while setting up uvb as I didn’t realize I had basking light hanging over plastic area .

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Will basking light melt the plasti on uvb light? Couldn’t figure out how to get it to not be directly above uvb light unless I put to very front of enclosure. Accidente melted edge of enclosure yesterday while setting up uvb as I didn’t realize I had basking light hanging over plastic area .
Yes set the basking light in the front on one side w/ the UVB towards the back see if you can get them to overlap each other --- if not set it as close to the other as you can - she will go to the light she needs -- the center of tank is fine too as long as she can get directly under it w/ distance 12-15 inches
also the person I posted to responded w/ this about the calcium
Just a tiny bit more than usual, but nothing overboard. How does she look , good weight and alert ?
please place the hygrometer probe on the back center wall - optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70%

Mimosa

Hatchling Dragon
Sadie, my uvb light stopped working and it’s been less than a week. It turns on for a second then back off. Was working fine when I left this morning.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sadie, my uvb light stopped working and it’s been less than a week. It turns on for a second then back off. Was working fine when I left this morning.
Where did you get it from? If you got it from a pet store take it back w/ your receipt and exchange it-- what brand did you get? Is it the fixture or the bulb? We need to figure out if its one or the other - is the bulb flickering when you turn it on?