• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this a decent set up?

Mimosa

Hatchling Dragon
40 Gallon tank, 100 watt heat lamp, 10%UVB/30%UVA Lamp
Currently about 90 degrees and 48% humidity under lamp where her hammock is and where she spends majority of her time.
About 72 degress and 64% humidity on the right end where her water is. I'm located on the west coast where its been raining daiy and about 56 outside this season. Usually around 68 in my home.

Background: Adopted her from my job at a daycare. They think she may be around 2 years old. Her diet consisted only of the bearded buffet pellets and some spinach here and there and sometimes other greens and fruit if the center had. Didn't get taken out too often and whole tank was not cleaned, just her food and water dishes here and tehre.
Currently: She rarely wants crickets if I bring them, and last two batches I got she didn't want them at all. Will eat a hornworm once in a blue. Diet is mostly chopped kale and flukers buffet blend which i dust with calcium now. Loves being in her water bowl. Just laid her first egg a week ago and it was yellow and squishy, so started dusting all her food with calcium. No more eggs and haven't noticed her straining to push any. Seems a bt stressed as shes been clawing at her enclosure. But I may just be hyper aware as I am home from work sick with covid. I have been letting her out to roam when possible. I'd eventually like to get her a bigger tank but can't afford it at the moment.
IMG_2795 Small.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
40 Gallon tank, 100 watt heat lamp, 10%UVB/30%UVA Lamp
Currently about 90 degrees and 48% humidity under lamp where her hammock is and where she spends majority of her time.
About 72 degress and 64% humidity on the right end where her water is. I'm located on the west coast where its been raining daiy and about 56 outside this season. Usually around 68 in my home.

Background: Adopted her from my job at a daycare. They think she may be around 2 years old. Her diet consisted only of the bearded buffet pellets and some spinach here and there and sometimes other greens and fruit if the center had. Didn't get taken out too often and whole tank was not cleaned, just her food and water dishes here and tehre.
Currently: She rarely wants crickets if I bring them, and last two batches I got she didn't want them at all. Will eat a hornworm once in a blue. Diet is mostly chopped kale and flukers buffet blend which i dust with calcium now. Loves being in her water bowl. Just laid her first egg a week ago and it was yellow and squishy, so started dusting all her food with calcium. No more eggs and haven't noticed her straining to push any. Seems a bt stressed as shes been clawing at her enclosure. But I may just be hyper aware as I am home from work sick with covid. I have been letting her out to roam when possible. I'd eventually like to get her a bigger tank but can't afford it at the moment.
View attachment 33196
Ok surface basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- the UVB is what brand and bulb and how old is it? I need to see the screen on the tank for proper placement and distance - is it in the tank or on top of the screen? Hard to tell cant bring the pic up -- please get a dig box and place in the tank if shes laid one egg there are probably more -- plastic tote box or shoe box
LAYBOX
potting soil that doesn't have any type of chemicals or fertilizers in it, mixed with sand, etc. Be sure it is at least 10-12 inches deep & that the mix is damp enough to where it will hold up to her making a burrow but not sopping wet to have standing water. place this in her tank --
please stop w/ the pellets -- please start w/ fresh salads - website for nutrition ignore the kale info its outdated - no more spinach please --- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
live insects dusted w/ calcium D3 the days will be determined by the UVB your using --- extremely important for dragons laying eggs--- she needs either dubia roaches I recommend them crickets or silk worms or BSFL for a staple feeder insect --- you want a digital probe hygrometer for correct humidity https://dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer?_pos=1&_sid=ac857912b&_ss=r
you can also get the roaches from that website --- I would take the water bowl out you dont want the humidity going over 70% in the tank ---

Mimosa

Hatchling Dragon
Ok surface basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- the UVB is what brand and bulb and how old is it? I need to see the screen on the tank for proper placement and distance - is it in the tank or on top of the screen? Hard to tell cant bring the pic up -- please get a dig box and place in the tank if shes laid one egg there are probably more -- plastic tote box or shoe box
LAYBOX
potting soil that doesn't have any type of chemicals or fertilizers in it, mixed with sand, etc. Be sure it is at least 10-12 inches deep & that the mix is damp enough to where it will hold up to her making a burrow but not sopping wet to have standing water. place this in her tank --
please stop w/ the pellets -- please start w/ fresh salads - website for nutrition ignore the kale info its outdated - no more spinach please --- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
live insects dusted w/ calcium D3 the days will be determined by the UVB your using --- extremely important for dragons laying eggs--- she needs either dubia roaches I recommend them crickets or silk worms or BSFL for a staple feeder insect --- you want a digital probe hygrometer for correct humidity https://dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer?_pos=1&_sid=ac857912b&_ss=r
you can also get the roaches from that website --- I would take the water bowl out you dont want the humidity going over 70% in the tank ---
Thank you for replying!
I have the water bowl in there because when it’s not she won’t poop and she also gets kinda lethargic and won’t move around. I take it out once her lights go out which run from 7-7. I think this is because in the daycare the bowl was in there at all times. I tried changing her diet to just greens (changed which ones I used but never spinach) kale is her favorite and live crickets and horn worms. Crickets I tried feeding with tweezers and emptying enclosure but she would just let it crawl all over her and get upset and not eat it. Once in a blue she will eat one and that’s it. Took a while before she started eating the greens and now eats it regularly.
Honestly struggling as the daycare wasn’t trained in her care and that’s how she spent first year and half of her life.

Here’s info on the lights(they are new got them in late October) and tank as it was a kit…

Thrive Front Double Door Opening Terrarium Desert Essentials Kit - 40 Gallon​

• 40-gallon glass terrarium with open front doors
  • Screen lid with lock and feeding door
  • Arcadia 100-watt essential basking spot bulb
  • 23-watt desert 10.0 UVB bulb
  • 2 8.5-inch dome lamps

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for replying!
I have the water bowl in there because when it’s not she won’t poop and she also gets kinda lethargic and won’t move around. I take it out once her lights go out which run from 7-7. I think this is because in the daycare the bowl was in there at all times. I tried changing her diet to just greens (changed which ones I used but never spinach) kale is her favorite and live crickets and horn worms. Crickets I tried feeding with tweezers and emptying enclosure but she would just let it crawl all over her and get upset and not eat it. Once in a blue she will eat one and that’s it. Took a while before she started eating the greens and now eats it regularly.
Honestly struggling as the daycare wasn’t trained in her care and that’s how she spent first year and half of her life.

Here’s info on the lights(they are new got them in late October) and tank as it was a kit…

Thrive Front Double Door Opening Terrarium Desert Essentials Kit - 40 Gallon​

• 40-gallon glass terrarium with open front doors
  • Screen lid with lock and feeding door
  • Arcadia 100-watt essential basking spot bulb
  • 23-watt desert 10.0 UVB bulb
  • 2 8.5-inch dome lamps
If this is a coil ( in a dome) you want to get rid of it right away --- they are inadequate for a UVB --- they cause more health problems and death than I can count ---- you want a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med --- Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb or a Sunblaster Nano Tech --- I can post links to all of these if you want me to -- if your Arcadia is getting temps to what they need to be your good but you want a digital probe thermometer for surface basking temps --- stickons or analog are for ambient temps only -- you should upgrade the tank as soon as you can to a 120 gallon tank ---- I can post links for those as well

Mimosa

Hatchling Dragon
If this is a coil ( in a dome) you want to get rid of it right away --- they are inadequate for a UVB --- they cause more health problems and death than I can count ---- you want a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med --- Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb or a Sunblaster Nano Tech --- I can post links to all of these if you want me to -- if your Arcadia is getting temps to what they need to be your good but you want a digital probe thermometer for surface basking temps --- stickons or analog are for ambient temps only -- you should upgrade the tank as soon as you can to a 120 gallon tank ---- I can post links for those as well
I unfortunately don’t have the funds to upgrade. Sadly this makes me think I may need to adopt her to someone more equipped. My job tried finding her a new home (free) and no takers which is when I stepped in and adopted her, not knowing they weren’t properly caring for her. My only Other sources with dragons all have them in 40 gallon tanks as well so I thought that was sufficient. The job I saved her from cut my hours so I’m doing best I can and even purchasing this brand new tank was a lot for me. Her old tank was super gross and her bowl had algae from not being cleaned. I will look at the uvb bulbs now, thank you for that info.
Oh, and how do I provide water for her to stay hydrated if I permanently remove her current bowl? She won’t go near a small water bowl. I really tried for a month or so working on her diet and changing things in her tank to be more optimal for her but it wasn’t until I reset back to what she was raised in that she started becoming active and eating. She didn’t poop her whole first month here.

Mimosa

Hatchling Dragon
Please do share the links for bulbs and thermometer and anything else.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I unfortunately don’t have the funds to upgrade. Sadly this makes me think I may need to adopt her to someone more equipped. My job tried finding her a new home (free) and no takers which is when I stepped in and adopted her, not knowing they weren’t properly caring for her. My only Other sources with dragons all have them in 40 gallon tanks as well so I thought that was sufficient. The job I saved her from cut my hours so I’m doing best I can and even purchasing this brand new tank was a lot for me. Her old tank was super gross and her bowl had algae from not being cleaned. I will look at the uvb bulbs now, thank you for that info.
Oh, and how do I provide water for her to stay hydrated if I permanently remove her current bowl? She won’t go near a small water bowl. I really tried for a month or so working on her diet and changing things in her tank to be more optimal for her but it wasn’t until I reset back to what she was raised in that she started becoming active and eating. She didn’t poop her whole first month here.
The tank can wait --- you can get her out to give her space - she will be fine -- what we need to do is get her the proper UVB and the surface basking temps -- that is crucial --
I am posting 3 UVB fixtures pick one that suits your budget --
If you have a pet smart try the store first or this can be ordered on line ---
24 watt w/ a 12 % bulb https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...v-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500114&fmethod=Browse
or this one it will come w/ a 5.0 bulb use it for a back up but the placement and distance is going to be different from the bulb you need
24" Zoo Med https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756
22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332
or this one you will need to change the bulb out to the Reptisun I posted above
you want the 2 ft or 24" https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
your screen is going to determine the placement and distance for the UVB let me know when you get it
2 digital probe thermometers https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...meters-1/products/zoo-med-digital-thermometer
you also need a digital probe hygrometer https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...eters-1/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer
please get the UVB and the probe thermometers for now ---
are you offering fresh salads ? You can rinse them before serving she will get hydration thru them and by dropping water on her nose so she licks it -- you do not want the humidity in that tank so high -- gut loaded insects are also going to help w/ hydration --- pellets are terrible for dehydrating dragons -- and they arent very nutritional --
she was going thru relocation stress when you got her common for them not to poop for periods of time -- please get her on a better diet -- its good shes eating the kale -- rinse before serving --- get her on a staple insect dubias if she does not like crickets - I will post a website for you - I would get a 10 gallon aquarium order as many as you can they will keep - get some dubia food and dubia dew feed at night so they are good a gut loaded - you can feed what you feed her just not carrots for both -- too much Vit A -- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale info its outdated -- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
this website for dubias and other worms
www.dubiaroaches.com
Your doing a good job --- just get the UVB corrected and surface basking temps ---

Mimosa

Hatchling Dragon
The tank can wait --- you can get her out to give her space - she will be fine -- what we need to do is get her the proper UVB and the surface basking temps -- that is crucial --
I am posting 3 UVB fixtures pick one that suits your budget --
If you have a pet smart try the store first or this can be ordered on line ---
24 watt w/ a 12 % bulb https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...v-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500114&fmethod=Browse
or this one it will come w/ a 5.0 bulb use it for a back up but the placement and distance is going to be different from the bulb you need
24" Zoo Med https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756
22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332
or this one you will need to change the bulb out to the Reptisun I posted above
you want the 2 ft or 24" https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
your screen is going to determine the placement and distance for the UVB let me know when you get it
2 digital probe thermometers https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...meters-1/products/zoo-med-digital-thermometer
you also need a digital probe hygrometer https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...eters-1/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer
please get the UVB and the probe thermometers for now ---
are you offering fresh salads ? You can rinse them before serving she will get hydration thru them and by dropping water on her nose so she licks it -- you do not want the humidity in that tank so high -- gut loaded insects are also going to help w/ hydration --- pellets are terrible for dehydrating dragons -- and they arent very nutritional --
she was going thru relocation stress when you got her common for them not to poop for periods of time -- please get her on a better diet -- its good shes eating the kale -- rinse before serving --- get her on a staple insect dubias if she does not like crickets - I will post a website for you - I would get a 10 gallon aquarium order as many as you can they will keep - get some dubia food and dubia dew feed at night so they are good a gut loaded - you can feed what you feed her just not carrots for both -- too much Vit A -- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale info its outdated -- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
this website for dubias and other worms
www.dubiaroaches.com
Your doing a good job --- just get the UVB corrected and surface basking temps ---
I ordered the Arcadia UVB kit, will get it tmw.
Do you think these will do for now…
Veanic 4-Pack Mini Digital Hygrometer Thermometer Gauge with Probe https://a.co/d/gaDZEfU

I am going to try the Dubia roaches, but to be honest I’m deathly afraid of roaches sounds silly but it’s one of my big fears.

I removed the water last night and today she got kale and a treat of some dehydrated insects.

Can’t thank you enough for all the help so far!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I ordered the Arcadia UVB kit, will get it tmw.
Do you think these will do for now…
Veanic 4-Pack Mini Digital Hygrometer Thermometer Gauge with Probe https://a.co/d/gaDZEfU

I am going to try the Dubia roaches, but to be honest I’m deathly afraid of roaches sounds silly but it’s one of my big fears.

I removed the water last night and today she got kale and a treat of some dehydrated insects.

Can’t thank you enough for all the help so far!
Sounds good- the probes are fine- when you get the uvb post back on here I will help you getting it placed for your tank

Mimosa

Hatchling Dragon
Sounds good- the probes are fine- when you get the uvb post back on here I will help you getting it placed for your tank
Thank you. They just let me know they’re out of stock so going to look for it elsewhere online. May be a few days.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you. They just let me know they’re out of stock so going to look for it elsewhere online. May be a few days.
try pangeareptiles.com or petmountain.com -- if you cant find them in the stores --- you only need two of them

Mimosa

Hatchling Dragon
try pangeareptiles.com or petmountain.com -- if you cant find them in the stores --- you only need two of them
I meant the UVB light.
Ordered from local petsmart for delivery tmw. I’m in isolation/quarantine right now so can’t go into store.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I meant the UVB light.
Ordered from local petsmart for delivery tmw. I’m in isolation/quarantine right now so can’t go into store.
Ok sorry --- sounds good

Mimosa

Hatchling Dragon
Did the uvb come?
Was told orders were delayed. We’ve also had terrible weather in Sacramento causing delays here as well. Received the thermometer’s/hydrometers today. Waiting to see if Home Depot has sand and if my sister is able to pick it up as I tried delivery and the shopper said they didn’t have it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Was told orders were delayed. We’ve also had terrible weather in Sacramento causing delays here as well. Received the thermometer’s/hydrometers today. Waiting to see if Home Depot has sand and if my sister is able to pick it up as I tried delivery and the shopper said they didn’t have it.
What are you getting sand for?