• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is Spike in brumation?

Pat B

Super Moderator
Spike is doing a little better. He literally threw his greens all over his enclousre....must be really mad at me for something! He did eat some mealies but no poop yet. Will give another warm soaking bath tomorrow!! But....if you don't eat....you don't poop!! :D

Pat B

Super Moderator
Spike has gone into brumation. Very weird. After not eating or pooping for about 3 days, on Wednesday he dug fiercely into the sand for about an hour. I couldn't believe all the energy. After digging he didn't want to do anything but sleep so after Wednesday I let him sleep and he still is. I turned off his lights and covered his tank with a towel. I check him throughout the day and I have noticed that his leg has changed positions ever so slightly so I know he is still breathing. Brumation is scary and he isn't quite a year old. I am 'assuming' when he 'wakes' he will be a hungry boy and back to normal??

Jesse omg it's me

Juvenile Dragon
Yes he will be hungry but he might forget that he was a caged animal and have to get us to it again and will try to escaped but let him run this course and then he will be back to normal...autumn is going into brumation too and did the same thing and is sleeping still and she u under a year so this is her first time and mine taking care of a bearded dragon in brumation! Hope everything with u goes okay! Best of luck!:)

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@PatB....are you sure that it is actually brumation? From what I know of brumation it is not unheard of but is rare that a dragon under a year old would go into brumation. Not trying to raise concern but I would keep a close eye on him at least and perhaps even have him checked out by a vet just to make sure there isn't any issues going on with him other than him brumating.
I will be watching for any updates and if it in fact brumation I hope he has a pleasant snooze:)
Enjoy

Jesse omg it's me

Juvenile Dragon
I heard that a lot how beardies under one year is rare to brumate what do they do in the wild when all the other beardies are in brumation of that makes sense

Pat B

Super Moderator
Yes he will be hungry but he might forget that he was a caged animal and have to get us to it again and will try to escaped but let him run this course and then he will be back to normal...autumn is going into brumation too and did the same thing and is sleeping still and she u under a year so this is her first time and mine taking care of a bearded dragon in brumation! Hope everything with u goes okay! Best of luck!:)
So Jesse....do you check Autumn everyday to see if she is still breathing? I don't like this brumation thing....scares me but I have read if your beardie 'insists' on brumation let him go do his thing....:confused:

Jesse omg it's me

Juvenile Dragon
Yes u do to make sure but when they are in brumation just let the brumation run its course and your beardies will wake up happy i also watch for weight loss too

Pat B

Super Moderator
OK....He is just a sleeping away on his hammock. So if he loses weight what do you do? I know Spike won't eat....no way. I gave him a tiny nudge today and he is breathing other than that all I do is look. I covered his tank with a towel for darkness and lights are turned off. Guess it is just a waiting game. What will he do when he wakes up??

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Cross the weight loss issue if happens, there is no reason for you to believe there will be problems. Please don't stress over this very natural happening in their lives, it is one of the easiest processes to handle in all BD husbandry, yet can also be the hardest. All you have to do is leave him alone, which brings into play, the hard part.
It sounds like all is in order, it was a good idea to cover the enclosure (be sure to not block the ventilation), if it is in a higher traffic area. If it is not high traffic, I wouldn't cover it. Quite often when a Dragon chooses an open area to perch, it may not go right to the full long sleep. Many will perch out in the open, eyes open, aware of their surroundings, periodically during the day, but otherwise no movement. Different Dragons, brumate differently.
Visually Check on him weekly, without disturbing him. You may hear him when he wakes on his own before. When he wakes, he will just start to become active, as opposed to sleeping ;) . They at times go through a glass climbing spree after they wake, they seem to forget the concept of glass and that they are a captive animal. Sandy used to climb for a week or more.

Patience is the answer to this one, Pat. ;)

Pat B

Super Moderator
Spikes enclosure is in my reading room...aka a bedroom I converted so no high traffic. No kids around just 2 adults. I have seen his eyes open but continues to not move. This brumation thing is very interesting.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wouldn't bother covering it then, but it is up to you. You could then see when he wakes. He is comfortable out in the open, he's not hiding to be in the dark to brumate, so is quite comfy where he is at.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The Babies are doing just fine, will post 4 Month old Pics next week. But I will only have three dragons left then. Tomorrow I am going to visit & delivering Dracul & one of my enclosures to my Grandson as a surprise gift. He is a little young but is always asking Grandpa if he will bring some of the Baby Dragons to visit, Dad will make sure that things are taken care of properly :D .

Pat B

Super Moderator
I 'think' Spike is starting/trying to wake up from his brumation. He woke up enough to dig a hole in a corner but went right back to sleep. He moves around in the hole to change sleep positions, I think, and opens his eyes occasionally. Hasn't wondered out looking for food. Is this what they should be doing? Should I put some crickets in his enclosure? Just not sure what to do....if anything. :D

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds normal to me. If he is just turning around or otherwise changing positions, I would do nothing. If he starts moving around the enclosure, I would then turn the lights on at the regular time in the morning, after a couple of hours offer some greens, then a warm soak, then a few crix. If he is moving, turning quite often, then I would turn the lights back on to their regular schedule for a day or 2, if he doesn't become active, then shut them down again until he does.

Latest posts