• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

KeBEARDIE

Hatchling Dragon
So recently I came back from vacation it was a 10 day vacation ever since I came back my bearded dragon Vixen, has been acting strange with his left eye keeping it constantly closed and rarely opening it heck I was lucky I was able to get it open for this picture although he’s been acting normal drinking and eating his food perfectly fine I’m almost certain he’s blind in his left eye although I want to make sure he has all his proper lighting 12% Arcadia heat is proper and he’s in a large cage anyone have any idea on what’s happening here? Ps. Sorry if the photos aren’t the greatest it was hard to get him to open his eye for long enough more information can be provided if requested.

Attachments

• C2537256-6884-4203-A6F2-27C13DE781A9.jpeg
    C2537256-6884-4203-A6F2-27C13DE781A9.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 45
  • F3452569-F22B-49C8-BFA6-D992574E5226.jpeg
    F3452569-F22B-49C8-BFA6-D992574E5226.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
  • 7A918A27-E58A-412E-A7CA-F0C1CB326840.jpeg
    7A918A27-E58A-412E-A7CA-F0C1CB326840.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • 2654BC30-B28A-49FF-ABB9-23293A5E72E2.jpeg
    2654BC30-B28A-49FF-ABB9-23293A5E72E2.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 38

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So recently I came back from vacation it was a 10 day vacation ever since I came back my bearded dragon Vixen, has been acting strange with his left eye keeping it constantly closed and rarely opening it heck I was lucky I was able to get it open for this picture although he’s been acting normal drinking and eating his food perfectly fine I’m almost certain he’s blind in his left eye although I want to make sure he has all his proper lighting 12% Arcadia heat is proper and he’s in a large cage anyone have any idea on what’s happening here? Ps. Sorry if the photos aren’t the greatest it was hard to get him to open his eye for long enough more information can be provided if requested.
It looks like its gonna shed --- you can take some saline solution no contact lens stuff and rinse the eye- are you using any kind of loose substrate? What about your basking bulb? Is it a clear solid bright white bulb? No off white or yellowish no daytime bulbs and no colored bulbs -- all are not good on eyes - your UVB is inside the tank or top of screen? I just want to go over all this as these things can cause eye issues and I want to make sure we are ruling these causes out for sure so I can say it is actually shedding coming on - the eyes will swell sometimes too and they will close their eyes frequently w/ shedding

KeBEARDIE

Hatchling Dragon
It looks like its gonna shed --- you can take some saline solution no contact lens stuff and rinse the eye- are you using any kind of loose substrate? What about your basking bulb? Is it a clear solid bright white bulb? No off white or yellowish no daytime bulbs and no colored bulbs -- all are not good on eyes - your UVB is inside the tank or top of screen? I just want to go over all this as these things can cause eye issues and I want to make sure we are ruling these causes out for sure so I can say it is actually shedding coming on - the eyes will swell sometimes too and they will close their eyes frequently w/ shedding
I’m using a bioactive substrate as of right now it’s not something like an ABG more of an arid blend, the bulb is a bright white bulb as far as I know I have a zoomed basking bulb I’m pretty sure the wattage is a 150 but I may have to double check that when I go down there my uvb is on top of the tank screen as of right now.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’m using a bioactive substrate as of right now it’s not something like an ABG more of an arid blend, the bulb is a bright white bulb as far as I know I have a zoomed basking bulb I’m pretty sure the wattage is a 150 but I may have to double check that when I go down there my uvb is on top of the tank screen as of right now.
UVB is a coil or a long tube fixture? So the basking bulb is good ---

KeBEARDIE

Hatchling Dragon
UVB is a coil or a long tube fixture? So the basking bulb is good ---
Oh I’m so sorry I forgot to mention which type of UVB it was it’s a linear uvb 22” inch bulb and 24 inch fixture it’s a 12% desert arcadia

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh I’m so sorry I forgot to mention which type of UVB it was it’s a linear uvb 22” inch bulb and 24 inch fixture it’s a 12% desert arcadia
Ok so thats out --- what type of screen do you have? fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type? this makes a difference as to where that UVB needs to be

KeBEARDIE

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so thats out --- what type of screen do you have? fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type? this makes a difference as to where that UVB needs to be
Its a fairly fine mesh I believe if you want that exact time just look up Dubia.com 4x2x2 enclosure since that’s the exact enclosure I’m using.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Its a fairly fine mesh I believe if you want that exact time just look up Dubia.com 4x2x2 enclosure since that’s the exact enclosure I’m using.
W/ the fine mesh screen please unobstruct it -- its blocking 30% of the rays if its on top - so how is the eye doing now? Did you flush it w/ some saline solution?

KeBEARDIE

Hatchling Dragon
I’m going to get some saline solution at the store today here’s a clear picture of the mesh and his eye as of right now I’ve noticed he’s been slightly closing it less than he was before don’t know if that’s a positive or a negative

Attachments

• IMG_0654.jpeg
    IMG_0654.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0655.jpeg
    IMG_0655.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’m going to get some saline solution at the store today here’s a clear picture of the mesh and his eye as of right now I’ve noticed he’s been slightly closing it less than he was before don’t know if that’s a positive or a negative
Ok thats a wide hole type get your UVB directly over a piece of basking decor 8-10 inches --- I am going to have Tracie take a look at the eye -- shes a vet tech
@Drache613

KeBEARDIE

Hatchling Dragon
Ok thats a wide hole type get your UVB directly over a piece of basking decor 8-10 inches --- I am going to have Tracie take a look at the eye -- shes a vet tech
@Drache613
Okay good to hear I’m going to get some saline in a couple I already have my basking platform measured it’s 8 inches away so I think it’s a pretty good distance I appreciate all your help with this

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

I had forgotten to weigh in here. How is your dragon's eye doing? Were you able to get some saline
solution for him?
Be sure to post new pictures so we can see any improvements.

Tracie

KeBEARDIE

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

I had forgotten to weigh in here. How is your dragon's eye doing? Were you able to get some saline
solution for him?
Be sure to post new pictures so we can see any improvements.

Tracie
Hi sorry for the late response as well I’m going to get a picture of his eye in a second after I’m done using the saline should I just administer it through a tube like an eye drop pretty much here’s the saline I got

Attachments

• IMG_0680.jpeg
    IMG_0680.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi sorry for the late response as well I’m going to get a picture of his eye in a second after I’m done using the saline should I just administer it through a tube like an eye drop pretty much here’s the saline I got
Yes just rinse the eye w/ it -- please post a pic of the eye after a couple of rinses to see if there is any improvement

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello!

That solution should be perfectly fine. Have you started using it yet? You can just drop several drops into
the eye enough to flush it out. Hopefully it will clear up soon for him!

Tracie

KeBEARDIE

Hatchling Dragon
Hello!

That solution should be perfectly fine. Have you started using it yet? You can just drop several drops into
the eye enough to flush it out. Hopefully it will clear up soon for him!

Tracie
I just stared using the solution I did a drop should I do more? He is closin eye

Attachments

• IMG_0815.jpeg
    IMG_0815.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Has his eye gotten any better yet?
You can use a a few drops at a time, if needed.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

KeBEARDIE

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Has his eye gotten any better yet?
You can use a a few drops at a time, if needed.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie
I’m at work right now so I can maybe get a picture when I get back, but as far as his eye is concerned ever since I added some of the drops his eye looks lightly less cloudy but definitely sure looks blind I may add more drops in a few what do you think?

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

The drops don't seem to be working, do they seem to bother him?
You could try getting some chamomile tea bags. Get one & moisten it in warm water to saturate it.
Then, making sure it isn't too hot, make a warm compress for his eye right at his bedtime. You can
put a small cloth over the tea bag once it's on his eye, to help hold in some warmth.

Tracie

Latest posts