• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is It Me??? ( a discussion on breeding )

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well fire up the posts about nipped tails and toes, impacted babies and general care.
It seems to Me that there are a ton of people attempting to breed with minimal or no research.
PLEASE correct me if im wrong. I would Never try to discourage anyone from the experience, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE know what you are doing before you put your male and female together. Do you know what 20 thousand crickets cost?? 120 babys can go thru that in a week.
I just want to stress that this thread is in no way a discouragement to anyone.
What this thread is about is to get people thinking 10 steps down the road. Breeding any animal isnt just a matter of putting male and female together. It is also about knowing basic husbandry, 1st aid, basic vet care, knowing your areas market, knowing your supply chains, basic genetics, and just using the mind that God gave you to add up 2 + 2 = 4. I have always been the person to question why. The day I stop looking for the why of things is the day im dead. Im good with that philosophy in my life...lol. Breeding an animal should never be about the money. If you end up making money god bless you, and more power to you, but the bottom line of this post is ask the why's and the how's before you put 2 animals in a potentially life threatening situation. Please if you have something to add to this thread keep it rolling. Keep it clean, and keep it honest.
Im gonna put my soapbox away for now because I dont want this to get ugly..lol.
pirate_flag.gif

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Wonderful point. People should edcuate themselves before trying to breed any animal.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Tom I couldn't agree with you more on this. You have noooooo idea how many messages a day I get on bearded dragon breeding from very young and/or very inexperienced owners. I usually get questions on basic care after they have bred them together or people not knowing why their babies are eating eachother. When I bred the first time, I did it so I can experience the whole thing atleast once in my life because someone who is this into the hobby should definitely try it as long as they know the things you mentioned and are ready to lose alot of their free time and then some to care for these babies. I do my best to make videos on youtube for basic care and breeding to help people in need of info but I still get the ones who don't research until its been done and over with. I just wish people would kinda get the drive to research like they did in the older times.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it's a never ending battle guys.
it comes about the time alot of adolescents start realizing they want cars, insurance and social lives. It's alot easier to make babies than work ya know. How hard can that be?
Put them together, hatch out some eggs, throw in some crickets........and rake in the cash. That's the neive mind of inexperience.
They come, but they go just as quickly when they find it costs more than they make.
It's the animals that suffer in the process. Sometimes, the best lessons to learn.......are those hardest to bare.

I agree that information is power. I also think that everyone needs to experience a certian level of this "creative process" within their means. However, watching it become so overburdened is depresssing.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Agreed. This is my usual soapbox with dogs (which is why all of mine are fixed ;) ) - in the dog world, of course, people who decide to breed without any genetic or temperament testing of their animals and little to no knowledge of breeding in general are called 'backyard breeders'. It's particularly dangerous with the brachycephalic breeds (short nosed, like Pugs, Pekingese or Brussels Griffons) because their heads are quite large when they're young and often surgical intervention is required to help the ***** give birth. I am especially protective of the Brussels Griffon breed as I've had three of them (see Gizmo, below in my sig line).

I recently purchased a young male Bearded Dragon (our other beardies are rescues) with the intention to someday breed him - when he is old enough, when I find a suitable female, and when I am knowledgeable enough to do so. This is mainly for selfish reasons as I'd like to get a large female (the male we just got is already 15" at almost 4 months) to breed him with so that we can hopefully have a few very large beardies for ourselves from the pairing and find good homes for the rest. I have no intention of setting up an ongoing operation or making any money from the venture. We have a lot of reptiles, and while in some aspects they are very similar, in other aspects they're very different. I love all of our animals, but the beardies, for whatever reason, are my favorite. I would like to experience breeding but I certainly have no intention of making a business out of it, or doing it before I'm ready.

I, too, cringe when I see complete newbies to reptiles immediately ask questions about breeding when their set up for the beardie(s) they already have is completely wrong. Everyone can learn, but not everyone should breed - which applies to any animal. People who breed animals (and who are successful and respected) do it for the love of the breed or species, not for monetary gain. It becomes their life. Before we were 'herpers', my husband and I were very active in the dog world, attending all the dog shows and participating in small scale dog rescue (rehabilitation and fostering of puppy mill dogs). I've seen what bad breeders can do to an animal. One of our rescues 2 years ago was a puppy mill rescue, a Brussels Griffon who was so overrun with parasites he couldn't even lay down - he was in that much pain. Skinny as a rail and afraid of everyone and everything - we got him not only physically back to health, but mentally rehabilitated him as well, and got him fixed so no one could ever do this to him again. He didn't know basic commands - how to play, how to sit, even how to be pet. It is heartbreaking what people who do it for the money end up doing to these animals. For those who do it out of respect and love and fascination of the process, it can be a wonderful thing - but for those who do it for the wrong reasons, it's heartbreaking for all involved.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dont know about you Tom but im gonna get some extra sterlite bins and look forward to buying some wholesale clutches lmao

But on a serious note yes there are a lot of "backyard breeders" popping up but they wont be around long as i see it. Soon as they figure out (or in some cases their parents figure out) that it takes a ton of money to raise them and a lot of experience to do it correctly and you really dont make your money back they will leave just as fast as they started.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I think there is enough experience on this forum to write up a 101 for breeding BDs (watcha guys think) and stick it on somewhere for evrybody to see. We will never be able to stop people putting their BDs together for breeding i think the least we could do is put together a guide for those who want to do it the "right way". Maybe even discourage some when they see how much is involved. lol

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Francis the problem is they will still keep asking even after we all chip in our breeding tips and tricks and know hows! Some people are just that way. They just don't care and they will still do it. Sorry if I am being rude in anyway but it just ticks me off just like everyone else.

And Brian that is just to funny! Extra bins. :D

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I think the issue is that people who think it's 'easy money' are not going to do their research first... they'll wait until there's a problem (egg binding, etc.) before making an OMG HELP ME RIGHT NOW!!11~~ type of post. :-\

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just had a kid on another forum tell me to let all my friends and family know He is gonna be selling dragons in about 5 weeks or so......lol.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
TheWolfmanTom said:
I just had a kid on another forum tell me to let all my friends and family know He is gonna be selling dragons in about 5 weeks or so......lol.

I want one , no wait , no two , male and female so i can breed them 8 months down the track when their big enough. If anyone is looking for some babies i will have some ready in 8-9 months.

They will be Chris Allen red/Crawley Red/Salmon/Pastel/Sandfire/tiger stripe/Orange/Fluoro blue/Double Het leather/Silk x Hypo/Hyper/leucistic/Snow/Tangerine/lavender/Citrus/flaming tiger/highlighter green/translucent.

So if you want one put an order in now on my waiting list Oh,Oh... I forgot the most important part!!! They will have true German giant bloodlines on both side from imported stock (the original breeder told me so). ORDER NOW

You can contact me on my website www.imainit4dmoneyusucka.com

DON'T FORGET ORDER NOW and use your credit card and i will even throw in a free 20g Long tank which your new dragon can live in for the rest of it's life.
Plus a Reptiglo 10.0 coil UVB bulb (energy efficient), crushed walnut or calcium sand as a substrate and a stick on thermometer (for monitoring accurate temperature), perfect housing for your new dragon.

BUT REMEMBER
this offer is only valid for the next 15 minutes if you use your credit card.
That's right you get the:
20g long tank
Reptiglo 10.0
Crushed walnut substrate (English walnut only the best) or calcisand (totally digestable and a good source of calcium)
And the stick on thermometer
FREE if you use your credit card in the next 15 minutes.

If your not completely satisfied with your purchase just simply send as the dragon back within 30 days (if it's still alive) and we will totally ignore you and refuse a refund.

German Giant disclaimer
*If your german giant appears to be of normal size or below average i can assure you that my bloodlines are true 100% GG the one you got from me is a bonafied genuine GIANT bloodline that one just happens to be a midget.*

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Red Ink AUS said:
German Giant disclaimer
*If your german giant appears to be of normal size or below average i can assure you that my bloodlines are true 100% GG the one you got from me is a bonafied genuine GIANT bloodline that one just happens to be a midget.*

:D ;D :D ;D AWESOME :D ;D :D ;D

[/quote]

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ROFLMBO

oh my Francis. You're such a salesman!!!! But I'd say you hit the nail on the head.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Francis I cannot stop laughing at your post...it's so sad that it's pretty much spot on compared to most of today's "real" ads

Latest posts