• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is he sick?

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Sorry; you should have your temps at 110-hot side of tank and 80-85-cool side of tank and a reptisun 10.0 uvb bulb[tube light] for him but at 3-weeks old he's a very tiny baby yet and it's very important for his digestion to have proper temps and stable ones for him. And he will sleep a little but should be basking most of the day when he's not up and about. And if he's going into a shed it is common not to eat too much or not at all but hunger will take over when he feels better. Most important are his temps. And if he's new to you give him time to settle in without bothering him to much so he can adjust to sites, sounds, smells, and you and that all takes a couple of weeks. Good luck and anymore questions don't be afraid to ask-We have all been there and only want the best for our babies. Good Luck with your new baby-And a little bath with warm water up to his arm pits will help him with his shed and he should feel a little better as they get very itchey when going into shed and some go quickly and others go slow nothing to worry about but try a little soak for him using your hand as a set ladder and his feeding might even pick up a little if he's not so itchly. Ps=Dagons do not very often drink from a dish some will drink their bath water also use it for the bathroom[poops] and make sure you clean right away and don't leave baby in bath by himself.They will look like a pancake when taking in water[they do it threw their vent[where they poop] but that is all normal so don't freak out when you see your dragon enlarging in the water as he's taking in water for his body. It's a good thing.Hope this little book has helped to calm your fears of being a new owner as we all have had the same worries. These babies like to do strange things to keep us on our toes lol-He should be offered salad 2-3-day and should have calcium. He probably won't eat salad as yet but still offer it to him as he needs to stay hydrated at this age and i would bath 2-3-times weekly to make sure he stays hydrated.And mist him out of his tank as it can cause complications in his tank.On the front page of our forum you will find interesting facts on diet,health, tanks and pretty well every thing you need for your baby to stay healthy and happy. Good Luck to you and Louie; PS; Calcium directions are also there. River-7

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Just read your post on large crix; he should have crickets the size of the space between his eyes as too big is not good for him they would be hard to digest . river-7

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
First off, 3 weeks is much too small\young to be rehomed to a novice. There used to be an unwritten rule, '6 weeks or 6 inches', that all reputable breeders use to live by. But that has long since not been the case since everyone & their dog are breeding these guys & finding out how expensive it is to feed a clutch, so they pump them out much too soon. A BD that young is extremely fragile, your husbandry specs should be spot on, if it is going to have a chance.

RyanHuff20

Hatchling Dragon
I'm not quite a novice. I'm "fairly new". This is my second beardie. I have done all my research, perfected my set ups and kept my beardies on a good diet thus far and my first beardie is doing quite well and I believe Louie will be doing better, as he already is, with more time. Also due to the fact that my local pet store always has crix shipments pushed back, I had no availability to small crickets for a few days and had no choice but to feed larger ones

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds good, have you thought about Pellets in emergencies, would be better than the larger crix at that age. If they will take to them. Mine all have. I use Repcal BD food. If I put a dozen pellets alone or in with their salad, they go for the pellets first and mostly. Of course only the green ones though. The red & brown ones are always left behind ;) , so my feeder roaches get those as a gutload. Mine have been eating it, pretty much part of their regular diet, along with roaches, since hatching. But may be worth a try, in a pinch.

Latest posts