• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Infrequent slightly bloody poop... trouble eating veggies, favors pooping outside?

Cannonball

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all! My adult bearded dragon has been having some issues with having a little blood in his poop infrequently (about once a week). I took him to the vet and all of his vitals seem great and I'm just waiting to hear back about the fecal sample. I really just think he's making himself constipated because he ONLY poops outside. I can't take him out everyday (cool temps/rain) and its only going to be more infrequent in the fall. Lizzo is also not eating enough veggies - I've tried SO many different combinations for his salad and he just won't touch it. Kale, mustard greens, collard greens, dandelion leaves, bok choy, squash, alfalfa sprouts. I have tried throwing fruit on there but still nothing!

As far as husbandry goes, I have attached a picture. The cool part of the tank is around 85 while the basking spot is usually around 100. I haven't seen Lizzo elect to use the basking spot, but sometimes I'll put him on the tree branch when I return him to the tank.

Any suggestions on how to get him to poop inside/ eat more veggies?

Attachments

• IMG_20200825_100136[1].jpg
    IMG_20200825_100136[1].jpg
    860.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200821_122318[1].jpg
    IMG_20200821_122318[1].jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200821_122315[1].jpg
    IMG_20200821_122315[1].jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200821_122308[1].jpg
    IMG_20200821_122308[1].jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello all! My adult bearded dragon has been having some issues with having a little blood in his poop infrequently (about once a week). I took him to the vet and all of his vitals seem great and I'm just waiting to hear back about the fecal sample. I really just think he's making himself constipated because he ONLY poops outside. I can't take him out everyday (cool temps/rain) and its only going to be more infrequent in the fall. Lizzo is also not eating enough veggies - I've tried SO many different combinations for his salad and he just won't touch it. Kale, mustard greens, collard greens, dandelion leaves, bok choy, squash, alfalfa sprouts. I have tried throwing fruit on there but still nothing!

As far as husbandry goes, I have attached a picture. The cool part of the tank is around 85 while the basking spot is usually around 100. I haven't seen Lizzo elect to use the basking spot, but sometimes I'll put him on the tree branch when I return him to the tank.

Any suggestions on how to get him to poop inside/ eat more veggies?
Your uvb is a T 5 or a T 8? Placement of certain bulbs is important- as far as getting him to the food bowl have you tried worms? What are you feeding for a staple insects? I am gonna have you try some feeding tips but we need to get the UVB situated first-

Cannonball

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your uvb is a T 5 or a T 8? Placement of certain bulbs is important- as far as getting him to the food bowl have you tried worms? What are you feeding for a staple insects? I am gonna have you try some feeding tips but we need to get the UVB situated first-
Hi Sadie, its a T8 bulb. Currently, he only eats super worms. We tried dubia roaches, crickets, and waxworms, but he only ever gets excited about the superworms. I also made him a little slurry with the dandelion leaves, alfalfa sprouts, and a little bit of apple. He absolutely hates it. I've also given him a bath but he hates that as well.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Sadie, its a T8 bulb. Currently, he only eats super worms. We tried dubia roaches, crickets, and waxworms, but he only ever gets excited about the superworms. I also made him a little slurry with the dandelion leaves, alfalfa sprouts, and a little bit of apple. He absolutely hates it. I've also given him a bath but he hates that as well.
Your T 8 is where ? Top of screen or inside the tank? Is there a plastic cover over the bulb ?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Its on top of the screen with no plastic cover.
Ok it needs to be inside the tank - the screen is blocking 30% of those rays and T 8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen --- basking decor needs to be 6-8 inches directly underneath--

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok it needs to be inside the tank - the screen is blocking 30% of those rays and T 8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen --- basking decor needs to be 6-8 inches directly underneath--
Are you sure it's blood ? Are you feeding anything red? I would lay off the superworms and get some silk worms- they are a great staple feeder--- if you need websites for them ask I will post some for you

cosmoni

Bearded Dragon Egg
I don't see blood, I see food bits. What are you feeding that could cause color? Peppers? Fruit? If you're certain it's blood, vet trips never hurt.

Latest posts