• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I really want one of these....

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Inquiring minds want to know! Wink

OK

1. Cheetahs do not purr like cats. They make barking sounds when stressed and when separated from their mates. Thus Barking = more dog than cat
2. Cheetahs also can not retract their claws/nails like cats can. Theirs are fixed like dogs.
3. Cheetahs also don't climb trees.

Although if you look them up it will say cat familly, but they list them as ATYPICAL members of the cat familly.

Their biological name Acinonyx jubatus
Acinonyx is derived from "no-move-claw" in Greek, while the species name,
jubatus, means "maned" in Latin, a reference to the mane found in cheetah cubs.

Thanks for that...now I know something I did not know before. Grin
Glad to be of service ;D

Sounds like you must've had an awesome time while in the SAAF.
Yes, the 8 years in Hoedspruit were awesome. Situated in the middle of the african bushveld.
Summer temps between 77minimum at sunrise and 100.4 by 8 AM reaching maximum temps of up to 118, although we got sent home then as we ran risks of getting heat stroke ;D
Winter temps ranging from 64 mornings and reaching 84 during the day.

Jet planes, snakes, nature etc..... Now I wanna go back

Recon it would be a GR8 habitat for beardies, although I didnt know they existed back then LOL

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's some cool information on cheetahs....especially since their one of the fastest animals on the earth. I wonder if the fact that they can't retract their claws interferes with their running at all? I mean, if they could retract them, could they run faster? Maybe it doesn't make a difference....but is something I think about when reading that info.

Those summer temps are crazy! Do you guys in SA use the english system like we do? I mean, you listed the temps in degrees F...so I'm wondering. The winter temps sound wonderful, though. ;D

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The Claws not retracting helps them to run and turn faster. It acts like a football cleat.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
staylor said:
The Claws not retracting helps them to run and turn faster. It acts like a football cleat.

Hmm....yeah, that makes sense. Better footing! Maybe THAT'S why they're so fast. LOL!

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just watched something on discovery channel the other day about them and that is something they talked about ;)

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Cheetahs are sadly a dying cat (nature wise). Genetic studies on individual population have found that they are severely inbred with an estimated original population after the last ice age of approx. 20 individuals. Hope they keep going though as they are a stunning animal. I am particularly partial to the "king cheetah" form.

P.S.
Yes I am still around and check in daily, I just don't post as I am busy with a few other side reptile projects lol (plus it's big sleep time where i am).

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Red Ink AUS said:
Cheetahs are sadly a dying cat (nature wise). Genetic studies on individual population have found that they are severely inbred with an estimated original population after the last ice age of approx. 20 individuals. Hope they keep going though as they are a stunning animal. I am particularly partial to the "king cheetah" form.

P.S.
Yes I am still around and check in daily, I just don't post as I am busy with a few other side reptile projects lol (plus it's big sleep time where i am).

Good to hear from you, Francis. Figured you were pretty busy, lately, having not heard from you much.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wonder if the fact that they can't retract their claws interferes with their running at all? I mean, if they could retract them, could they run faster?

Dont know... Interesting. But my opinion is that the claws maybe help with the grip . . . like spike shoes for athletes ???

Those summer temps are crazy! Do you guys in SA use the english system like we do? I mean, you listed the temps in degrees F...so I'm wondering. The winter temps sound wonderful, though. Grin

Nah ! we use Celsius, I've got a converter installed on the PC to be able to chat to Y'all LOL
Makes some threads really difficult, cos you'll talk about so many deg F and I have to pop open the converter to see how much it is..., same goes for distance/length calculations and gallons

We use centimeters/meters instead of inches and feet, and liters instead of gallons

Fortunately over here (um actually Hoedspruit area) they have KAPAMA, a cheetah rehab and breeding project. Now visiting them , thats COOL

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I never even gave that a thought Monique. Good for you for making that effort to understand what in the world we are talking about. :)

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
00020468.gif

I try . . . . must say in the beginning as I read the posts, I though :eek: :eek: :eek: WTF, are you guys NUTS with those temps, was thinking in deg C not F. So an average of 98C (In my mind) works out to 208F . . . . LOL.

Thats when I got the converter

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Craiger said:
Red Ink AUS said:
P.S.

Good to hear from you, Francis. Figured you were pretty busy, lately, having not heard from you much.

It has been a while since we have heard from you Francis. Good luck with you side projects.

Latest posts