• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I really want one of these....

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So Bev and I are cat people. If we could, and they could be trusted, we'd have a cheatah or a bobcat as a pet. However, since we can't, this is the next best thing. I've read that their personalities are really good....just as good as that of a standard domesticated cat. They're just large....the biggest domesticated cat there is.

It's called a Savannah....a hybrid cross between a wild African serval and a domestic cat. Didn't know about them 'til Bev showed them to me in the Cat Fancy magazine we have at home. SO cool!!!!

Unfortunately, they're extremely expensive.

savannah_cat_standing.jpg

most-expensive-pets-in-the-world-Savannah-Cat.jpg

And because they're so expensive, I'll probably settle for a Bengal. They're just as beautiful and slender as a Savannah, but not as big. They do tend to get a bit bigger than a typical domesticated cat, though.

Preacher%20Man%207.jpg

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Chris and I were looking at these not too long ago and the price said we were not getting one. There is a breeder right here in Jacksonville that has 1-4+ generation kittens for sale.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
LOL...you know who has those....Tee. She had two Elsa and Bo. Hers are F2 or 3's. I can't remember. If you want a hook up I can get you the breeders name that she went though. It was out in California. Some states though you need a special permit.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
li said:
LOL...you know who has those....Tee. She had two Elsa and Bo. Hers are F2 or 3's. I can't remember. If you want a hook up I can get you the breeders name that she went though. It was out in California. Some states though you need a special permit.

Hmmm.....that's tempting. I didn't know Tee had savannah's. Nice!!!

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yup...she's had them for years now. Unfortunately Bo either got stolen or out of his pen, she doesn't know, but Elsa is doing great. They do make wonderful pets. I'll get you the website of the breeder that Tee used.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
li said:
Yup...she's had them for years now. Unfortunately Bo either got stolen or out of his pen, she doesn't know,...

Dang....that sucks!

They do make wonderful pets. I'll get you the website of the breeder that Tee used.

Cool....thanks!

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I believe I saw one of those at the Reading Expo. A guy had her on a leash. So beautiful and he let us spend as much time as we wanted. But as I remember I could not even consider getting one because of the cost. :eek:

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Love maincoons. Had one, he died at 1.5 from a genetic heart defect :(

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
he was not a full maincoon. he was a free kitten that we got...He was 23 pounds before he got sick. He got 5 pills a day for 6 months until they stopped working. When I finally put him down he was only 8 pounds. We spent almost $3,000 and the treatment did not work like they said it would, they gave him 5+ years and we only got 6 months :( He was beautiful, long haired orange, big bushy tail, full mane. Trained him to do tricks, just an all around great cat. Wish I could find another one as great as him and big as him...I love big cats. My biggest cat is only 15 pounds, not fat just big.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
staylor said:
he was not a full maincoon. he was a free kitten that we got...He was 23 pounds before he got sick. He got 5 pills a day for 6 months until they stopped working. When I finally put him down he was only 8 pounds. We spent almost $3,000 and the treatment did not work like they said it would, they gave him 5+ years and we only got 6 months :( He was beautiful, long haired orange, big bushy tail, full mane. Trained him to do tricks, just an all around great cat. Wish I could find another one as great as him and big as him...I love big cats. My biggest cat is only 15 pounds, not fat just big.

Wow....sorry about that, Sandy. Hate to hear about things like that. :'(

Our cat, Jazz, has similar markings to a Maine Coon, but is short haired. I think he's just a tabby. He was up to 19 pounds before we put him on Sojos holistic catfood. He's now 15 pounds, plays like a kitten again, and looks great. Four pounds for a cat like him is like a 200lb. person losing 50 pounds. BIG difference.

I love big cats, too. My wife's aunt has a cat that's got something mixed in with it's genes as it's not fat at all, but weighs 28 pounds and is almost as tall my my knees. Since I'm 6'3", you can imagine how tall it is. Just a HUGE cat! It was born in a barn....so I have no idea what kind of mix he is. Just looks like a normal tabby, but really big. I wanted to bring him home as he took to me right away...and she said he normally doesn't take to strangers. Can't wait to see him again.

Now off to look at that link Lisa posted. ;D

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
;D Missed this one . . . ;D

So Bev and I are cat people. If we could, and they could be trusted, we'd have a cheatah or a bobcat as a pet.

Yeah I've always wanted a cheetah or black panther. Then if anybody says they HATE cats, I can call my "little bitty kitty" LOL
But I was fortunate enough to have lots of contact with lions and cheetahs while stationed in Hoedspruit while I was still in the SAAF. Cheetahs are lovely and really soft. OH and btw they are not from the CAT family... They are DOGS

Wanna know why?????

:p

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He he, OK

1. Cheetahs do not purr like cats. They make barking sounds when stressed and when separated from their mates. Thus Barking = more dog than cat
2. Cheetahs also can not retract their claws/nails like cats can. Theirs are fixed like dogs.
3. Cheetahs also don't climb trees.

Although if you look them up it will say cat familly, but they list them as ATYPICAL members of the cat familly.

Their biological name Acinonyx jubatus
Acinonyx is derived from "no-move-claw" in Greek, while the species name,
jubatus, means "maned" in Latin, a reference to the mane found in cheetah cubs.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pogie said:
Cheetahs are lovely and really soft. OH and btw they are not from the CAT family... They are DOGS

Wanna know why?????

:p

Inquiring minds want to know! ;)

Sounds like you must've had an awesome time while in the SAAF.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks for that...now I know something I did not know before. ;D

Latest posts