• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I need advice :P ~ Roaches or Crickets

Beardie123

Juvenile Dragon
I have a female bearie (her name is Rosie) and i and just wondering if it is better & easier to feed & breed Dubia Roaches instead of Pesty Crickets for my little Rosie:)

mama

Hatchling Dragon
I had my Worf for a week before I switched to roaches! He and I LOVE the roaches. :) So much easier to keep in my limited experience.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Can you buy roaches from a pet store like Pet Smart....roaches creep me out but my crickets never last very long even though I have stuff in their container to feed them.

mama

Hatchling Dragon
Can you buy roaches from a pet store like Pet Smart....roaches creep me out but my crickets never last very long even though I have stuff in their container to feed them.
I know some people are able to find them at PetSmart type of places. Mine don't carry them. Though I have heard that sometimes they will order them for you. I found a reptile store that had some and bought a small amount to see if Worf even would eat them. I didn't want to order a whole lot online and then him dislike them. Then I found someone local on Craigslist (pet section) that has a lot of colonies and great prices. If I didn't find him then I would have just started to order them online.

Mairzee Dotes

Bearded Dragon Egg
Roaches are cleaner easier and quieter!
I think someone posted an ad for roaches in our Classifieds forum... One I see has FREE shipping...

You say they are cleaner. I have heard roaches carry some 20 different kinds of disease causing germs, etc. Why do they say roaches are so dirty and disease causing if they are clean? Also, what if they get lose in the house? It wouldn't be long & you would be overrun with them. Yuk. I live here in S. Calif. & think they would survive fine in the house. If they can live in a container for a long time...they could live in your house, come out at night & breed...& before long...roach city/exterminator time. These are my concerns with these fast moving little bugs.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What you are saying may be true of wild caught roaches as far as carrying unwanted germs & such. CB roaches are as clean or cleaner than any common feeder. Living in a warmer, 'tropical' type climate does pose an infestation risk, but Dubia & Discoids cannot climb smooth surfaces, so are very easy to keep contained. Your concerns may be relative to you, but not to everyone. Sounds more of a 'Personal Phobia'. ;) If they are not for you, use a different feeder, it is that simple.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
What you are saying may be true of wild caught roaches as far as carrying unwanted germs & such. CB roaches are as clean or cleaner than any common feeder. Living in a warmer, 'tropical' type climate does pose an infestation risk, but Dubia & Discoids cannot climb smooth surfaces, so are very easy to keep contained. Your concerns may be relative to you, but not to everyone. Sounds more of a 'Personal Phobia'. ;) If they are not for you, use a different feeder, it is that simple.
I don't use roaches, but that's only because they creep me out. From what I've heard they're a great staple, and are much easier to contain then my baby crickets who are wonderful escape artists. It's going to sound like I'm going camping here in another month... the smaller they are the better they are at getting out of the enclosures...

Mairzee Dotes

Bearded Dragon Egg
LOL...maybe you're right. It may be that I have a "creep-out" factor working here too. I think I'll just stick with the crickets and worms for now though. I have things get away from me at times but crickets don't seem to bother me if a couple escape. I actually LIKE the sounds of crickets chirping. It reminds me of the old Indiana farm nights of long ago.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
LOL...maybe you're right. It may be that I have a "creep-out" factor working here too. I think I'll just stick with the crickets and worms for now though. I have things get away from me at times but crickets don't seem to bother me if a couple escape. I actually LIKE the sounds of crickets chirping. It reminds me of the old Indiana farm nights of long ago.
I like crickets chirping, but not next to my head... I'd rather they stay out of my bedroom.

jeremy green

Hatchling Dragon
I would go with crickets just for the simple fact that they are easier to purchase/find. They also offer more nurtirents for your bearded dragon, and health is one of the most important things when owning a bearded dragon.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I would go with crickets just for the simple fact that they are easier to purchase/find. They also offer more nurtirents for your bearded dragon, and health is one of the most important things when owning a bearded dragon.
Are you going off of hearsay or do you have some kind of proof of that?

Beardie123

Juvenile Dragon
proof i live in new bedford like 11 minutes from acushnet and there is an all reptile petstore called cold blooded and i would buy like 100 roaches or so and breed them

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
proof i live in new bedford like 11 minutes from acushnet and there is an all reptile petstore called cold blooded and i would buy like 100 roaches or so and breed them
Wasn't asking you for proof ;), was talking to Jeremy. Was wondering if he had any scientific data proving that crickets offer more nutrients then lets say... dubia, or what's the other big one?

Mayoko

Hatchling Dragon
I have a female bearie (her name is Rosie) and i and just wondering if it is better & easier to feed & breed Dubia Roaches instead of Pesty Crickets for my little Rosie:)
well, in my opinion, i would say crickets. even though i've never used roaches before, they seem to be a tad easier to handle.

Mayoko

Hatchling Dragon
You say they are cleaner. I have heard roaches carry some 20 different kinds of disease causing germs, etc. Why do they say roaches are so dirty and disease causing if they are clean? Also, what if they get lose in the house? It wouldn't be long & you would be overrun with them. Yuk. I live here in S. Calif. & think they would survive fine in the house. If they can live in a container for a long time...they could live in your house, come out at night & breed...& before long...roach city/exterminator time. These are my concerns with these fast moving little bugs.
i completely agree. I HATE roaches. Once, when I used to live in Florida, a roach got in my bedroom. We'd just moved in. It freaked me out for the rest of the night. :(

Latest posts