• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

CarbonFiberSwan

Hatchling Dragon
In the first week, he would take red cabbage and kale from me, but I read that I’m not supposed to feed those to him due to them being calcium binders. So I started putting collard greens, bell pepper, baby arugula, and various berries in his food dish and he has completely stopped eating veggies. Now he won’t even take the red cabbage when it’s offered. He will eat bugs, but I don’t know how to get him interested in the veggies again. I’ve tried provoking him into eating them by moving them around in front of him, but he just runs from me when I do that.

Any pointers would be appreciated. I dust the bugs with calcium and vitamins, and gut load them with veggies, but I need Toothless to recognize greens as food.

CarbonFiberSwan

Hatchling Dragon
In the first week, he would take red cabbage and kale from me, but I read that I’m not supposed to feed those to him due to them being calcium binders. So I started putting collard greens, bell pepper, baby arugula, and various berries in his food dish and he has completely stopped eating veggies. Now he won’t even take the red cabbage when it’s offered. He will eat bugs, but I don’t know how to get him interested in the veggies again. I’ve tried provoking him into eating them by moving them around in front of him, but he just runs from me when I do that.

Any pointers would be appreciated. I dust the bugs with calcium and vitamins, and gut load them with veggies, but I need Toothless to recognize greens as food.
Forgot to list what I’ve tried.

Ive tried giving him greens first thing, before giving him bugs.

Ive tried putting roaches and wax worms in the food dish to cause the greens to move (he just picks the bugs out and avoids the greens)

I’ve tried putting the greens in his mouth while he has his mouth open. He just runs

CarbonFiberSwan

Hatchling Dragon
Here is a pic of Toothless, and a pic of his setup. I am going to build him a bigger habitat, but this 10 gal is all I have right now. Aquariums are expensive...

Attachments

• 33878172-8681-4225-9F40-10BB76B4B5FD.jpeg
    33878172-8681-4225-9F40-10BB76B4B5FD.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 646C9B6E-C094-437D-A015-C6A384A02235.jpeg
    646C9B6E-C094-437D-A015-C6A384A02235.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 17

CarbonFiberSwan

Hatchling Dragon
Good idea. try leaving some greens in his enclosure over the course of the day. If he gets one thing you can do sis not feed him for 1 day this may sound wrong but he will get hungry and if he eats his greens then he will know that it’s food and maybe he will even like them
I’ve considered doing this, but wasn’t sure if it was ok. I think of what the doctors told my parents about me as a kid, when I wouldn’t eat many things: “at least he is eating ‘something’”.

he has also been acting really lethargic the past few days. It has gotten super cold outside, but I keep the temps in his enclosure consistent. I have the T5 UVB bulb that stretches the full length of the aquarium, but I’m wondering if the UVB isn’t getting through the covering.

CarbonFiberSwan

Hatchling Dragon
I’ve considered doing this, but wasn’t sure if it was ok. I think of what the doctors told my parents about me as a kid, when I wouldn’t eat many things: “at least he is eating ‘something’”.

he has also been acting really lethargic the past few days. It has gotten super cold outside, but I keep the temps in his enclosure consistent. I have the T5 UVB bulb that stretches the full length of the aquarium, but I’m wondering if the UVB isn’t getting through the covering.
Correction. I just looked at the bulb and it is a 15 watt T8.

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
DO NOT STARVE HIM FOR ONE DAY! Baby bearded dragons need a lot of energy and at that age they can die of starvation after 3 days of no food so one day is a lot for them. Do not worry abo the veggies right now. My Starbucks wouldn’t touch veggies until he was 7 months old. When they are this young the need protein to make up 80% or more of their diet because they spend so much time growing. In 1 year they have to grow to be 200x their size. That is a lot of growing and they need protein to have enough energy to do that. If you’re beardie isn’t eating veggies he will learn to do so one day I suggest at around 6-7 months to reintroduce veggies to him. Some babies love veggies and others don’t, it’s not the end of the world and both diets are heathy for them. My Starbucks would demolish up to 60 crickets a day sometimes he’d find a way to eat 80 during his growth spirts. Because of this diet though I find that it’s easier for them to get dehydrated so just give him a bath every other day. It will keep him hydrated and also promote bowel movements. Hope I was able to help

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Correction. I just looked at the bulb and it is a 15 watt T8.
The UVB needs to be unobstructed- No screen andthere should be no clear plastic cover over bulb if there is one take it off-- put a piece of basking decor directly underneath it approx 6-8 inches -- change the bulb out 5 months from when you installed it--- please do not feed anymore red cabbage - feed all the kale you want it's a great staple feeder--- I will post a nutrition website for you-- take your bsfl and add them to his salads in front of him the movement will get his attention- but you must get your uvb in correct placement or he will quit eating all together- how are you taking basking temps and what are they? Your going to need to upgrade your tank really soon start looking on FB marketplace for as big a tank as you can afford- 75 gallon would be great - also look on Craigslist try and find one w/ front doors-- if you find something make sure you sanitize it w/ some rescue or zoo meds wipeout-

CarbonFiberSwan

Hatchling Dragon
The UVB needs to be unobstructed- No screen andthere should be no clear plastic cover over bulb if there is one take it off-- put a piece of basking decor directly underneath it approx 6-8 inches -- change the bulb out 5 months from when you installed it--- please do not feed anymore red cabbage - feed all the kale you want it's a great staple feeder--- I will post a nutrition website for you-- take your bsfl and add them to his salads in front of him the movement will get his attention- but you must get your uvb in correct placement or he will quit eating all together- how are you taking basking temps and what are they? Your going to need to upgrade your tank really soon start looking on FB marketplace for as big a tank as you can afford- 75 gallon would be great - also look on Craigslist try and find one w/ front doors-- if you find something make sure you sanitize it w/ some rescue or zoo meds wipeout-
I will be building him an enclosure. I’ve been looking for something online, and everything I’ve found is just too expensive.

Ive got an infrared thermometer to measure basking temps. They are around 100 when it’s cold in my house, and between 100 and 110 when it’s warmer inside. I also have an ambient thermometer/hygrometer that stays in the aquarium. Due to the small size of the aquarium, the “cool” side is around 85, which I’ve read is too warm for the cool side.

It’s been suggested to me that I get a probe thermometer for the basking area, but I have done lots of research that suggests the infrared is fine. 2 YouTubers that have been super helpful are LizardGuru and Elle’s Reptiles. They have great content on proper Beardie care.

I am new to Beardies, but in my couple weeks of studying diet I have learned that both cabbage and kale are not good staple foods. They both have a higher phosphorus content than calcium, and the phosphorus binds the calcium. Pretty much all cruciferous vegetables are the same (cabbage, kale, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, etc.) There are plenty of good veggies that I can feed him, so I’m just going to avoid the cruciferous ones all together.

I’m trying to work out a way to get the UVB light under the cover. It’s a metal mesh cover from Petsmart. I can’t take it off cause my house has a bunch of Asian lady beetles (I can’t keep them out). I know they are toxic, and he already managed to get one when it got into the aquarium while I had it opened... I also can’t mount it under the cover cause the aquarium is too small. I think I’ll have to cut a hole in the cover.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I have an unruly bearded dragon as well, bee pollen is the trick ive tried, i mist my salad and then dust it , i put a good amount on too, it gives the salad a buggy smell , and if u put bsfl in there too it might trick him further, my beardie has refused veggies pretty much 6 months straight and now she loves it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will be building him an enclosure. I’ve been looking for something online, and everything I’ve found is just too expensive.

Ive got an infrared thermometer to measure basking temps. They are around 100 when it’s cold in my house, and between 100 and 110 when it’s warmer inside. I also have an ambient thermometer/hygrometer that stays in the aquarium. Due to the small size of the aquarium, the “cool” side is around 85, which I’ve read is too warm for the cool side.

It’s been suggested to me that I get a probe thermometer for the basking area, but I have done lots of research that suggests the infrared is fine. 2 YouTubers that have been super helpful are LizardGuru and Elle’s Reptiles. They have great content on proper Beardie care.

I am new to Beardies, but in my couple weeks of studying diet I have learned that both cabbage and kale are not good staple foods. They both have a higher phosphorus content than calcium, and the phosphorus binds the calcium. Pretty much all cruciferous vegetables are the same (cabbage, kale, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, etc.) There are plenty of good veggies that I can feed him, so I’m just going to avoid the cruciferous ones all together.

I’m trying to work out a way to get the UVB light under the cover. It’s a metal mesh cover from Petsmart. I can’t take it off cause my house has a bunch of Asian lady beetles (I can’t keep them out). I know they are toxic, and he already managed to get one when it got into the aquarium while I had it opened... I also can’t mount it under the cover cause the aquarium is too small. I think I’ll have to cut a hole in the cover.
You wont have him in that small of a tank for long - he is going to quickly out grow it - you can look for used tanks on Craigslist or FB Marketplace - look for a 75 gallon + and one preferably w/ front doors - make sure you sanitize it w/ some Rescue or Zoo Meds WipeOut - I would suggest F 10 but I cant find it except in the UK -- I dont know how fast your going to get the tank built but I would recommend you start on it soon --
I would recommend getting a digital probe thermometer sometimes the IR guns are off by materials that are used - they will not read correctly and also they DO NOT read off of hammocks -- I use all 3 temps gauges digital stick ons for ambient ball park temps and IR gun -
here is a study on your kale --
https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=252256

CarbonFiberSwan

Hatchling Dragon
You wont have him in that small of a tank for long - he is going to quickly out grow it - you can look for used tanks on Craigslist or FB Marketplace - look for a 75 gallon + and one preferably w/ front doors - make sure you sanitize it w/ some Rescue or Zoo Meds WipeOut - I would suggest F 10 but I cant find it except in the UK -- I dont know how fast your going to get the tank built but I would recommend you start on it soon --
I would recommend getting a digital probe thermometer sometimes the IR guns are off by materials that are used - they will not read correctly and also they DO NOT read off of hammocks -- I use all 3 temps gauges digital stick ons for ambient ball park temps and IR gun -
here is a study on your kale --
https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=252256
Interesting info about the kale. Thank you for the info!

I will be building the enclosure ASAP. I don’t have a Facebook account and have no intention of ever having it again, so I don’t have access to FB marketplace. I have been searching on Craigslist and have found nothing in my area that I can afford.

Toothless got a lot more active yesterday when I offered him crickets. I guess he was just not into the roaches and wax worms ‍♂️

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Interesting info about the kale. Thank you for the info!

I will be building the enclosure ASAP. I don’t have a Facebook account and have no intention of ever having it again, so I don’t have access to FB marketplace. I have been searching on Craigslist and have found nothing in my area that I can afford.

Toothless got a lot more active yesterday when I offered him crickets. I guess he was just not into the roaches and wax worms ‍♂️
They do have their preference for insects --- and worms -- please feed the wax worms sparingly as well they are too fatty and can cause long term liver damage I have been told --- you can look up ratios on the suppliers websites for the nutrients of the worms --- mine dont like wax worms so I dont haft to worry but some dragons really like them so its better to limit the worms I guess --- if you keep a balanced diet offering them different worms and limited amounts to me that is best -- my one dragon would not eat crickets so but went for the roaches my youngest has never been fed crickets just the roaches -- I am not a fan of crickets --- they stink too bad make too much noise and are escape artist :)

CarbonFiberSwan

Hatchling Dragon
They do have their preference for insects --- and worms -- please feed the wax worms sparingly as well they are too fatty and can cause long term liver damage I have been told --- you can look up ratios on the suppliers websites for the nutrients of the worms --- mine dont like wax worms so I dont haft to worry but some dragons really like them so its better to limit the worms I guess --- if you keep a balanced diet offering them different worms and limited amounts to me that is best -- my one dragon would not eat crickets so but went for the roaches my youngest has never been fed crickets just the roaches -- I am not a fan of crickets --- they stink too bad make too much noise and are escape artist :)
I don’t like the crickets because they die too fast, and they can bite back. The roaches live a lot longer and are easier to breed, so I hope he will go for them again.

Latest posts