• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I am heartbroken! My beautiful baby boy is gone.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Last Saturday my daughter and I left for town. While we were gone my son saw that Dexter really wanted out of his tank — and because he knows I let him roam quite often — let him out to run around. What he didn’t know is that the screen door needs to be hooked. Dexter likes to climb the screen and look out all the time. Trouble is both our dog and cat can open the screen door and exit whenever they want. To avoid them opening the screen door while he’s roaming I hook it.

When I returned about 2 hours later I looked and he wasn’t in his tank. I went to my son (he was the only one home) and asked if he’d seen him. He told me that he’d let him out not long after I left. We searched everywhere. I tore my house apart. We couldn’t find him. My only thought is that he was hanging on the screen and the dog or cat went out and he jumped down onto our porch. That was almost a week ago. I have spent so many hours every day sitting on my lawn and walking around calling to him. Every time I pass the door I look out hoping to see him sunning himself and waiting for me. I have cried many tears. I will be cleaning out his tank and putting it away tomorrow, but after a week I believe he will not return.

I will check in once and a while just to say hey, but right now it’s too hard to hang around. Wishing you all the best!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Oh no!! :( im so sorry barb! Whats the outside of your property like? Very heavily wooded? Or are u in a development? Another forum member lost his beardie and found it on his neighbors lawn a week later, he can definitely survive at least a month, post some flyers if u can :(

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Last Saturday my daughter and I left for town. While we were gone my son saw that Dexter really wanted out of his tank — and because he knows I let him roam quite often — let him out to run around. What he didn’t know is that the screen door needs to be hooked. Dexter likes to climb the screen and look out all the time. Trouble is both our dog and cat can open the screen door and exit whenever they want. To avoid them opening the screen door while he’s roaming I hook it.

When I returned about 2 hours later I looked and he wasn’t in his tank. I went to my son (he was the only one home) and asked if he’d seen him. He told me that he’d let him out not long after I left. We searched everywhere. I tore my house apart. We couldn’t find him. My only thought is that he was hanging on the screen and the dog or cat went out and he jumped down onto our porch. That was almost a week ago. I have spent so many hours every day sitting on my lawn and walking around calling to him. Every time I pass the door I look out hoping to see him sunning himself and waiting for me. I have cried many tears. I will be cleaning out his tank and putting it away tomorrow, but after a week I believe he will not return.

I will check in once and a while just to say hey, but right now it’s too hard to hang around. Wishing you all the best!
You need to look everywhere outside -- under stuff ---- everything --- bushes porch etc ---- you need to watch for him first thing in the morning in bright sunny warm spots --- driveway side walk etc -- hes gonna want to warm up --- I have had people find their dragons after a year of being gone --- if you have neighbors let them know post flyers -- if you dont and they find him he will end up in a rescue place somewhere -- I would not put the tank away as of yet

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon

OMG I’m sorry this is happening to you. Don’t give up just yet. Praying for a happy outcome for you and Dexter.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Oh no!! :( im so sorry barb! Whats the outside of your property like? Very heavily wooded? Or are u in a development? Another forum member lost his beardie and found it on his neighbors lawn a week later, he can definitely survive at least a month, post some flyers if u can :(
I live on about 65 acres . . . extremely wooded. We’ve all spent hours each day looking anywhere we can get to and all around the cleared areas . . . under bushes, into tree line, around the ponds, under sheds and under pig barn, in the garden. Every morning I sat on my lawn or porch while I had my morning coffee and called to him. I did a walkabout before I headed into work. I have no near neighbors. Nearest one is probably over quarter to half-mile away.

I was so hoping he would come wandering out from where ever he was and say “Hey mum, I’ve been on an adventure but I’m ready to come home now!” Confess after this long, we’ve given up hope. I still look out windows and the doors all the time (habit now) and still sit on my porch each morning, but I don’t expect to see him. I am completely devastated.

He couldn’t survive a year out here. Humidity right now is through the roof and our winters are severe and start early. We have tons of predatory critters, too, including hawks, eagles, coyote, foxes. It makes my heart ache thinking about him out there. He is such an adventurous guy I keep up spirits by imagining him as having the time of his life. Only thing I can do.

Thanks for all your kind words you all.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Im quite saddened to hear this, its awful loosing a pet.. im sorry for your loss, I agree in keeping your good disposition in picturing him out there having the time of his life.

easturbunny

Bearded Dragon Egg

Virtual hugs to you. I will be praying for you guys.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
UPDATE: Still no sign of Dexter. I did a walk about this morning while having coffee. Made sure to check by both ponds. Called to him the whole time. Saw a pheasant, a turtle, plenty of frogs and birds, and fox tracks. No Dexter. (Sob)

I went out earlier and picked the strawberries that were ready in our patch. Patch is beside a few trees and low hanging bushes in our driveway turn around. A few had little bites taken out of them. I'm pretending that it was him taking the nibbles and enjoying a little treat. (Never you mind that he never ate strawberries. This is my fantasy.)

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
How many days Exactly has he been gone. :( how extensively have you looked underneath ur house, I know uve probably gone down to studs looking for him….theres tons of stuff he’s probably eating , bearded dragons are very tolerant of bad conditions.. …when we moved to Where we are living 2 years ago (a very heavily wooded area) , our cat literally booked it during the night, he busted through a screen, i seen him, and he had this look in his eyes like a jerk, I tried grabbing him underneath a car, i just barely touched and he was gone.

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
UPDATE: Still no sign of Dexter. I did a walk about this morning while having coffee. Made sure to check by both ponds. Called to him the whole time. Saw a pheasant, a turtle, plenty of frogs and birds, and fox tracks. No Dexter. (Sob)

I went out earlier and picked the strawberries that were ready in our patch. Patch is beside a few trees and low hanging bushes in our driveway turn around. A few had little bites taken out of them. I'm pretending that it was him taking the nibbles and enjoying a little treat. (Never you mind that he never ate strawberries. This is my fantasy.)
Oh my, This is awful! I am just seeing this & my heart sank when I realized that it was a post of yours. I am so sorry this is happening to you!
I am not sure this would work but If it were me, I would place his enclosure outside & have a way that he could get into it with his lighting left on in hopes that it would lure him. I would also tear my house apart thinking maybe he got stuck somewhere or is just not coming out when your up & about. Leave a basking spot on day/night with some food left near. Maybe place flour around the house & out side where your hoping he ate the strawberries to see if you find any footprints.
I wish I could be with you & help in your search & am praying with all my might that you locate him. I know how much he means to you.
Even though you’re not close to neighbors, try posting flyers & to lost & founds anyway, it’s surprising how far some pets travel & the distances they have been located.
Again, I am deeply saddened by this news & if there is anything I can do please just ask.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
How many days Exactly has he been gone. :( how extensively have you looked underneath ur house, I know uve probably gone down to studs looking for him….theres tons of stuff he’s probably eating , bearded dragons are very tolerant of bad conditions.. …when we moved to Where we are living 2 years ago (a very heavily wooded area) , our cat literally booked it during the night, he busted through a screen, i seen him, and he had this look in his eyes like a jerk, I tried grabbing him underneath a car, i just barely touched and he was gone.
Thirteen days. It happened Saturday, June 12th. We've looked everywhere we can get to. (Pulled quite a few ticks off ourselves, too.) My daughter even crawled under our porch and looked. I so hope he's ok and that I'll look out into the yard and catch him sunning himself. I'm constantly looking every time I pass the doors or windows. I do a walk about every day and always check by both ponds thinking he may go towards them. There's just so many places here that he could be hiding.

Yeah, cats can be spiteful that way. Our cat has split personalities that's for sure. Purring and happy one second and all claws and teeth the next.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Oh my, This is awful! I am just seeing this & my heart sank when I realized that it was a post of yours. I am so sorry this is happening to you!
I am not sure this would work but If it were me, I would place his enclosure outside & have a way that he could get into it with his lighting left on in hopes that it would lure him. I would also tear my house apart thinking maybe he got stuck somewhere or is just not coming out when your up & about. Leave a basking spot on day/night with some food left near. Maybe place flour around the house & out side where your hoping he ate the strawberries to see if you find any footprints.
I wish I could be with you & help in your search & am praying with all my might that you locate him. I know how much he means to you.
Even though you’re not close to neighbors, try posting flyers & to lost & founds anyway, it’s surprising how far some pets travel & the distances they have been located.
Again, I am deeply saddened by this news & if there is anything I can do please just ask.
Thanks Pacalypse. I'm so heartbroken. Thanks for the tip on his enclosure. I might be able to set it up under our porch (there are plug ins I can use) and face it out towards the front yard. I can put some of his worms inside with a salad. We've already tore the house apart. Plus, last week I did my spring cleaning which means everything gets cleaned, washed,dusted, or thrown out. All furniture, walls and wall hangings, cupboards, son's room, our room, office . . . everything. I didn't find him inside.

I did talk to our closest neighbors so they are aware he is MIA. My daughter also works down at the local store and has spread the word there. We are in a fairly small town (I call it a village) of about 700 people. Everybody knows everybody. lol

I think by this point it will be a matter of me seeing him sunning himself. That's when he's most likely to come out into an open area. I've been doing what Sadie said and making sure I check first think in the morning when the sun starts beating down. I've got my fingers crossed that I will spot the little bugger.

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks Pacalypse. I'm so heartbroken. Thanks for the tip on his enclosure. I might be able to set it up under our porch (there are plug ins I can use) and face it out towards the front yard. I can put some of his worms inside with a salad. We've already tore the house apart. Plus, last week I did my spring cleaning which means everything gets cleaned, washed,dusted, or thrown out. All furniture, walls and wall hangings, cupboards, son's room, our room, office . . . everything. I didn't find him inside.

I did talk to our closest neighbors so they are aware he is MIA. My daughter also works down at the local store and has spread the word there. We are in a fairly small town (I call it a village) of about 700 people. Everybody knows everybody. lol

I think by this point it will be a matter of me seeing him sunning himself. That's when he's most likely to come out into an open area. I've been doing what Sadie said and making sure I check first think in the morning when the sun starts beating down. I've got my fingers crossed that I will spot the little bugger.
I did some google search & some say that beardies won’t go far from where they got out & have been found up on tree branches or on the trunk. Some have been found months later so don’t give up hope. Some have said to put a rock out where the sun will hit in very early in the morning with roaches in a clear bin so they can be seen moving. The top I like was to go out right at sun up & look high up, or on bushes or possibly buried in some mulch etc.
look from your screen door to see what cover spot you see & he may have run there. As for inside, it was said to look under furniture bcuz even a small slit along the lining could be a place to hide. Also check every where more than once especially any place that would be warm like appliances/furnaces.
Did your daughter look up & not just on the ground when she went under the house?
Any curtains that touch your floors that he could climb?
just read someone gave up when winter came & 8 months after being gone, one showed up the next spring. I think placing his enclosure outside where it can be seen from all angles with the lights on may lure him in & don’t forget to place a few clear bins of roaches. Someone made a few holes covered with leaves by the bins & found their dragon stuck there at dawn one morning.

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
I am still doing online searches on how to find a bearded dragon that is lost outside & a lot have been found weeks or months later & most were found within fifteen feet from where they were last seen.
Dex has to be near, search the same spots over & over. Look high & low. I would also still leave a basking spot in the house with some food since there is a chance that he could be inside. People have found theirs in shoes, laundry, between mattresses up in cabinets & they like you searched inside thoroughly.
I was trying to see if a squirrel trap would work, can’t find much on that yet but there is a YouTube video showing how to make a lizard trap out of cardboard & it actually worked.
they say that with property like yours, dragons have still been found pretty close to where they left from. If it’s possible, leave a basking spot by the screen door in the morning. I read where a few of those lost actually ended up being found in the exact spot where they disappeared from, so they stayed close for weeks until hungry enough when they came back & knew where to go.
He may be scared right now & not venturing out so please don’t give up. One was gone for a month in 4 degree weather then showed up in the driveway where he had disappeared from. I would start around my house & turn over every leaf high & low to at least 15 feet out all around the perimeter. Maybe you have some people to come help? If you’re near PA then I will come every day until we find him?
Hopefully he finds his way into his enclosure once it’s outside or try to set a trap of some kind. Prayers & hugs for you & Dexter.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I did some google search & some say that beardies won’t go far from where they got out & have been found up on tree branches or on the trunk. Some have been found months later so don’t give up hope. Some have said to put a rock out where the sun will hit in very early in the morning with roaches in a clear bin so they can be seen moving. The top I like was to go out right at sun up & look high up, or on bushes or possibly buried in some mulch etc.
look from your screen door to see what cover spot you see & he may have run there. As for inside, it was said to look under furniture bcuz even a small slit along the lining could be a place to hide. Also check every where more than once especially any place that would be warm like appliances/furnaces.
Did your daughter look up & not just on the ground when she went under the house?
Any curtains that touch your floors that he could climb?
just read someone gave up when winter came & 8 months after being gone, one showed up the next spring. I think placing his enclosure outside where it can be seen from all angles with the lights on may lure him in & don’t forget to place a few clear bins of roaches. Someone made a few holes covered with leaves by the bins & found their dragon stuck there at dawn one morning.
Great idea on looking in trees. We didn't think of that. I don't know why. We looked all over the ground, under leaves, under bushes, under logs, any rock that had a hidey-hole type area. lol My daughter is coming over this afternoon. We'll go out and look some more. This time up. Thanks! I do have his tank set up outside under our porch after you suggested it. I put some rocks in front of it so that he can climb up to get in. I refresh the salad twice a day. I turn the lights on before dark. Really not effective for them to be on during the day as you can’t see them and it has been so hot and muggy here lately. So far no luck. I’m still searching and looking though. Thanks for all the tips and support. And letting me know of successful recaptures. Gives me hope. Boy is he so going to get the worst scolding if he turns up. Probably why he’s not coming home. lol