• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to start a Roach colony

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
OK....Im all set up.. rubbermaid container, mesh top, egg flats upright, dog food, greens etc.....

the only problem I am still having is finding a suitable heat source. I checked the drug mart (like a CVS) and there was only 50 dollar theraputic heater pads. I went to a hardware store and all they really have is ceramic space heaters. so then I went to the pet store and they have some exoterra heat pads for like 30-40 bucks, some heating cable and CHE's. The guy at the store said to check out heating tape? looked cool but no idea where to get it!?

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
hey got a CHE.. works great. got it at 90 degrees and steady.

the only real question I have now is why am I finding a bunch of baby roach shells all over? found about 15 so far it seems. like its just the top of them like they died? do they shed??

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
they do shed and are you sure those arent egg sacks? and also, with mine the hotter they are, the more babies they make. i keep mine around 95 and give them friut and veggies that are getting wilty. if you ask, some stores will give you that stuff for free. you just have to stay on top of it and dont let it draw flies. and dont clean the roach poop out either...the babies will eat that.

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
no its like the tops of the babies only. the shells. maybe only a few legs. do they eat each other??

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Aaron Pauling, Jason, John (lqdragons). roaches i really recommend i got 50 nymphs and 50 adults today and they are really meaty. my question is can i put them all in together and is this a good starter colony. my second question is i was also going to buy another 100 from another retailer so that i could have two different bloodlines

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I am currently breeding dubias and orangeheads most of everything I have learned have been from AmericanBeardedDragons and JP. americanbeardeddragons im pretty sure you guys know him he sales dubias i would really recommend him his roaches are always nice and plumb and he has good prices. My colonies are going strong thanks to those guys. if you guys want to know anything i will certainly share my knowledge with you

beardedALAN

Bearded Dragon Egg
How large of a colony would you recommend i use for my juvenile beardie and 3 adult leopard geckos.

Also How do you tell the males from females.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Adult male Dubia have full wings, Adult females don't. So it is easy to tell adult Dubia apart. Subadults & larger nymphs can be sexed by looking at the last belly segments & is the same for both Dubia & Discoids. Found this pic online to demonstrate Dubia.

2201369770_91b74068fc.jpg

Discoids both have full wings, just slightly different. Males wings are slightly longer than the body, females are slightly shorter & they are generally a little bigger than the males. Some pics of My Discoids Male & Female.

Discoids014.jpg

Discoids004.jpg

Had to chill them up when I took these pics so they would 'Pose' ;).

Hope this helps answer your question somewhat. If you click on my signature it will take you to my website. There a quite a number of vids of my discoids both eating & being ate ;).

ariel

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am having some issues with my colony. I started out with 135 mixed adults and nymphs. I have not noticed any new nymphs that are 1/8 of an inch and I have had my colony for a little over a month. the molts are fine and there seems to be no deformities in the juveniles and adults.
I took a few males out last night because I felt the ratio was a little off and it could be possible that the babies were being eaten. I feed them cat food, fish flakes, oranges, and lettuce. I recently started feeding them potatoes because of the higher glycemic index. I was using flukers water crystals but I notice that they did not bother with it and it dried up within a day. I keep the temp at 90 via bulb. I do have egg crates and egg cartons in there so I do not believe the surface area is a problem. I just wanted to know if there are any thoughts as to why these buggers are not prolific.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It can take over a month to breed, form, then expel the egg sac, retract it into another body cavity, then incubate the eggs.

ariel

Bearded Dragon Egg
i got them in early july. they better get a move on because I am having to feed my pyxi frog 20 crickets and nightcrawlers every other day

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I know the feeling ... When I first got mine, Discoids mind you, but their habits & care are the same, it seemed to take forever, I remember being quite impatient. I started with 100 nymphs, no adults, so it really was what seemed to be forever ;) .

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep, they can multiply quickly, you started with a larger starter colony than most. There is a huge difference in production between 1 month & 10 ;). What type of bulb are you heating with & what type of Bin? Are you using a bin with opaque sides that lets light though or a solid colored bin?

Roaches are nocturnal so do much better in complete darkness, the light may be bothering them, a CHE may be a better heat source. I tried all colors, red black, moon glo, etc, mine didn't really take off until I eliminated the light & went to a CHE for heat.

Beardie123

Juvenile Dragon
i didnt exacly get alot i got like per say 100 and they only reprodused once right now my colony is at a stand still because my male died and i dont have lightin my average room temp is 85 degrees

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They should still breed at 85F, mine do, not quite as fast as when the temps are a bit higher, but they still breed, but I guess that's hard to do anyway without an adult male ;). Now you'll have to do like I did, wait for the nymphs to grow to breeding age. Or did you feed off all the nymphs already?

When I start to get too many, I control their breeding with the temps & don't provide added heat & leave them at room temp. But that is generally in the high 70s F or Low to mid 80s F anyway, because I keep the bin on the top shelf of my closet with the door removed. With all the lights of the enclosures on, the 'Critter' room gets quite warm, particularly up nearer the ceiling because heat rises.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Got months to
6a01348745e23f970c0147e2e87911970b-200pi.gif
yet then, eh. I started that way & it took forever. Of course, I didn't feed the first new nymphs either, I let the first 4-500 grow up as breeders too, to expand the colony, but after that, my colony pretty much replenishes itself, too well ;). But I am so glad that I have it now with all these hungry little Pooping Machines to feed ;) .

Beardie123

Juvenile Dragon
true lol i can wait till my colon is well establish i have 4 mouths to feed. My bearded dragon, water dragon, graceful chameleon, and rosehaired tarantula lol

Latest posts