• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to start a Roach colony

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm going to try to figure something out in the meantime. If it continues, I'll get rid of them. I just REALLY don't want to go back to crickets.

Any ideas on the cleaning issue? Up to now, I had a resolution. Now I'm not sure what to do.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Have you thought of making like a filtered tube ? One that has mesh small enough Not to catch the roaches.. but large enough to get the frass ?
Hope this helps.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
Have you thought of making like a filtered tube ? One that has mesh small enough Not to catch the roaches.. but large enough to get the frass ?
Hope this helps.

No...but a good idea.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yup.. Paper towel tube, with two layers of mesh.. about an inch apart.
Just an idea.. Never tried it myself, since I am not bothered by the frass.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Craig do you have any experience with silk wotms? I imagine that'd be a great alternative but takes a lot of work and time, and usually kinda costy.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Justus85 said:
Craig do you have any experience with silk wotms? I imagine that'd be a great alternative but takes a lot of work and time, and usually kinda costy.

Been there, done that. Like you said, too much work for what I'm willing to give. I'd rather have a better alternative....hence, the reason I went to roaches. As much as I hate crickets, I may have to eventually go back to them. My superworm colony's doing great, but I don't want them to be my staple feeder for obvious reasons.

Hornworms....been there, done that. They get WAY too big WAY too fast.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I started having sinus issues recently that were very aggrevated by my colony. As it turns out my sinuses were over sensative due to ragweed season down here and were being aggrevated by the frass due to this. I started taking clariten and have had no issues since.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crypticdragons said:
I started having sinus issues recently that were very aggrevated by my colony. As it turns out my sinuses were over sensative due to ragweed season down here and were being aggrevated by the frass due to this. I started taking clariten and have had no issues since.

I take allergy medicine (always a decongestant) daily....and use a nasal spray for times when I'm going to be outside. I used to have to get shots every week for several years 'til the cost was just too much to bear.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Figured since this is the big roach discussion forum I'd post pics. The big bin houses my adults and the smaller one is where I put the nymphs aka the green mile of roaches since they are more than likely gonna end up in Rex's stomach, lol.

SAM_0043.jpg

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Looks good.. though not nearly messy enough.. lol..
Mine are pretty much got dried greens covering the bottoms..

Just a thought folks.. What would you say if you cut vents in the sides, not the lids.. I know.. you are concerned with the humidity.. Right ?
In my house humidity seems to stay in the mid to high 60's..

It is only a thought..

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Questions about the heating pad. Can it go on a floor? Like the zoo-med 10 gallon heater? I'm not sure how these things work but I have a space next to my tank that I could put it. How safe are the heaters?

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Also, what is the heat tape thing I saw on theroachguy. That looks useful but I've never heard of it. This whole breeding thing is confusing! :)

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
there are different forms of heat tape. Flexwatt is what i use. 6 watt is nice.

the UTH's are safe, however, if laid directly on the floor, it dries out the finish on hard woods, discolors linoleum and it's gonna depend on what your carpet is made of to determine what it will do to it. You can however, place it on a thin board.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh okay, it won't burn anything right? I'm not so sure how this stuff works. If I got a piece of particle board could I use that, or a thin piece of plywood? Would that suffice instead of a heatpad. And how are they cost wise? Worth it or not if you get a heating pad instead?

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
how many roaches (nymphs and adults) do you need for a start up colony for only one juv. bearded dragon?

50 bucks for:... 'mainly large nymphs with a couple adult pairs. The nymphs should all have molted into adults within 2-3 weeks after receiving them. Sex ratio is about 40/60 M/F.'

decent deal?

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
:eek:I just read all of these posts and am now thoroughly disgusted and feel like my skin is crawling. LOL, keep in mind that I am a brand new BD owner and the thought of roaches, let alone paying for roaches is insane to me. I admire each and every one of you for being able to handle bugs like that. I am just now getting used to the crix and sharing my fridge with various worms. But in just the two weeks that Scarlet has been with us I have really come along. Maybe one day i will graduate to roaches. Somehow I kinda doubt it though....:eek::)

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Lol you get use to them. I know people freek out when i tell them we are breeding roaches in our bedroom. They just dont understand.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Lol you get use to them. I know people freek out when i tell them we are breeding roaches in our bedroom. They just dont understand.

Yea, i think I'm right there with those people. UGH............ My husband already informed me that we were NOT purposely bringing any roaches into our home, no way no how. Scarlet LOVES crickets and doesn't know any better and i think I'll keep it that way. eeeeek eeeek eeeeeekkkk........:)

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Questions about the heating pad. Can it go on a floor? Like the zoo-med 10 gallon heater? I'm not sure how these things work but I have a space next to my tank that I could put it. How safe are the heaters?
Yes.. I have the same questions... how to buy the right pad (can it be a regular home depot pad?) put it on the sides? underneath? is it safe right up against the rubbermaid 24-7?

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
you can also use a heat emitter with a clamped dome fixture. my dragon tanks are on racks so i just set the roaches on the shelf above the heat lamp. keeps them about 93f. undertank heaters can be dangerous without a thermostat. they get really hot and i would not compress it between tank and floor. there needs to be some air space. ive never used a regular heating pad so i cant answer that one.

Latest posts