• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to Breed Crickets?

Angelo L

Bearded Dragon Egg
I live kind of far away from any pet stores and it's hard for me to schedule in regualr vists to buy crickets for Wilson(my beardie). So i been thinking about buying a bulk amount off the internet and breeding them myself. Does anyone have some tips they can share? Any little tip will help me in achieving my goal. Thank you

joshjack90

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have bred crix supers and dubias successfully! To do crickets i reccomend buying a 20 gallon bin of some sort. Buy about 500 adult size crickets and throw them in there with egg crates and food/water. Then get a small container maybe 5"x5"x2" or something and fill it with dirt. keep that dirt moist with a mister and you will start to see female crickets(They have really long tube like things sticking out of the back of them) crawl in the dirt and dig and lay eggs. After about a week take that little bin of dirt out and place that in another bin. Keep Misting that untill you start to see tiny crickets moving around in it.

Now to keep a cycle going you would want multipal small bins of dirt and each week whe you take the one out of the adult bin put a new one in.

Its not to hard really just takes alot of time and attention.

Remember to mist the dirt daily! Also keep food and water in all the bins!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like to much work to me. Good idea but I no patience plus I really don't like crickets....:rolleyes:
Then don't complain how expensive they are ... :p. Very little comes about without any effort. Crickets are usually a big part of BD care, hard to get around that, unless you go to Roaches ;). The majority of worms contain much more fat, so are not as healthy for the BD.

Pat B

Super Moderator
I bought big crickets today and he chomped them right down. Only a penny more so not bad. He ate them like he hadn't been fed in a week. I watched his beard go up and down and his tummy moving as he swallowed them.....shouldn't eat so fast!!

Angelo L

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks fir all the help guys. I'm going to Wal-Mart and the pet store ASAP to get started on this little project.

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
Question?!?! I've started this and i'm waiting to see if I get anything from it but in the mean time what cricket's should I pick out to feed to my beardie? I started with the males because I read that somewhere...but then I felt like I was running out of adult males so I started feeding females but I don't want to feed a female that could possibly have eggs....so basically what is recommended???

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Question?!?! I've started this and i'm waiting to see if I get anything from it but in the mean time what cricket's should I pick out to feed to my beardie? I started with the males because I read that somewhere...but then I felt like I was running out of adult males so I started feeding females but I don't want to feed a female that could possibly have eggs....so basically what is recommended???
The BD doesn't care if it gets a male or a female cricket. Don't worry about it that much. I think the only reason to get one or the other is I believe one of them chirps and one doesn't so its nice to get the ones that don't chirp if it's an option. It's annoying to have chirping going on all night in your bedroom.

Pat B

Super Moderator
The BD doesn't care if it gets a male or a female cricket. Don't worry about it that much. I think the only reason to get one or the other is I believe one of them chirps and one doesn't so its nice to get the ones that don't chirp if it's an option. It's annoying to have chirping going on all night in your bedroom.
So glad you answered that Aleena. I just feed whatever crix to my bearedie. Have no idea what a female or male cricket looks like. They all look the same to me...LOL!!

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
So glad you answered that Aleena. I just feed whatever crix to my bearedie. Have no idea what a female or male cricket looks like. They all look the same to me...LOL!!
The females are the ones with the long tubular thing on their butts. They use those to plant their eggs in the dirt.

DubFace

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is it possible to breed hoppers in captivity? My beards seems to like them more than crickets, I feed hun a mixture of crickets and hoppers, but when purchasing live food you seen to get more crickets for your money. How's the best to breed live food?

@DubFaceKiller

facebook.com/dubfacekiller

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
I was trying to figure out which to feed him from my starter colony. I need the males to make baby cricket's and the females to lay those eggs. When I go in to pick some out for beardie food I sit and wonder which ones I can use that won't hurt the baby making process lol. :)

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
It's not important now lol he went on a feeding frenzy and all my cricket's are gone. So i'll have to buy more and hopefully have some eggs hatch soon if I did it right :)

Pat B

Super Moderator
It's not important now lol he went on a feeding frenzy and all my cricket's are gone. So i'll have to buy more and hopefully have some eggs hatch soon if I did it right :)
That is too funny. Beardies can go on a feeding frenzie....they go nuts when crix are dropped into their tanks....lol. And the next day, we the owners, get to clean up their ginormous poop!! LOL.....:cool:

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
Yeah lol I think i'm going to buy maybe 2 or 300 more cricket's tomorrow. It's a 30 minute drive to the good cheaper little pet store. Between him and the hungry little snakes I have to go at least 3 times a week. I think that i've stocked up for the week and then they eat everything i've bought. 4 pinky mice and 100 cricket's in less than a week :eek:

Latest posts