• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How much calcium does my beardie need?

Trinity

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I bought my bearded dragon about 2 weeks ago and when I got him he went right into brumation. He's out of brumation and is eating a lot and I needed to dust the insects with calcium but I'm not sure how much and if I need to dust them with D3 or without D3 and how often he needs the calcium and vitamins. He is a juvenile bearded dragon and probably about 6 months old. I would really appreciate it if anybody could help me out and give me some information on what to do. Thanks!

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
What kind of UV light do you use? the more UVB the less D3 is needed. One meal a day should be dusted, five of those just pure calcium , two with calcium +D3 and multivitamin(this can be bought as an all in one). If you are using a high output UV tube such as a T5 you can drop the Calcium +D3 to once a week.
So, basically every day, especially when they are young and still growing bones and skin etc.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
When I dust dubias, I just put a small amount (a good pinch) into a small plastic tub, put the roaches in and shake around until they are all coated. A little goes a long way.

Trinity

Bearded Dragon Egg
When I dust dubias, I just put a small amount (a good pinch) into a small plastic tub, put the roaches in and shake around until they are all coated. A little goes a long way.

So I coated about ten crickets with D3 and I'm not sure that my bearded dragon ate any because it was at night and he didn't wake up and I was just curious if they needed to be eaten right away after being dusted or does that really matter.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
well, you shouldnt put crickets in there at night. Crickets are active at night and will nibble on your dragon, then they hide when the lights come on. Best to feed when your dragon is active and remove any uneaten ones before (at least an hour)lights out. Some calcium will fall off the longer they go uneaten but enough will get into your beardie. Otherwise they get redusted after you empty them out of the tank at night.

Trinity

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay, I got one of those boxes that hold the crickets in and I just always left the door open and I never really thought to close it up so I will be sure to do that instead. Would it be smart to get one of those cricket holder things and then put them in my beardies tank when he's active? What do you usually do to feed ur bearded dragon?

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
sorry I should have said, a bearded dragon needs to bask in order to digest its food. If you feed too close to lights out, anything they have eaten will sit in their stomaches undigested and that would be bad for their health. They need an absolute minimum of 1 hour of basking after eating.

Trinity

Bearded Dragon Egg
sorry I should have said, a bearded dragon needs to bask in order to digest its food. If you feed too close to lights out, anything they have eaten will sit in their stomaches undigested and that would be bad for their health. They need an absolute minimum of 1 hour of basking after eating.

So I was told to leaving the banking light on at all times (the red light) and leave on the UVB light on during the day and turn it off at night. Am I doing that right?

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
No, that was bad advice from whoever told you. There should be no coloured bulbs, they can hurt your beardies eyes. There is a wide variety of basking lights available, I use halogen spot lights. Compact coil UV bulbs are also not much use, if that is what you were sold for UV, they produce negligable amounts of UVB. Importantly, lights should have a day and night cycle. 12 on and 12 total darkness. Night temperatures need to be kept above 65 degrees, using a ceramic heating element if your room isnt warm enough. These produce heat but no light.

Trinity

Bearded Dragon Egg
No, that was bad advice from whoever told you. There should be no coloured bulbs, they can hurt your beardies eyes. There is a wide variety of basking lights available, I use halogen spot lights. Compact coil UV bulbs are also not much use, if that is what you were sold for UV, they produce negligable amounts of UVB. Importantly, lights should have a day and night cycle. 12 on and 12 total darkness. Night temperatures need to be kept above 65 degrees, using a ceramic heating element if your room isnt warm enough. These produce heat but no light.
Okay I will definitely change those then. If the banking light has no light do I need to turn it off at night or can I keep it on to keep the cage warm, or should i get a heating pad for underneath?

Trinity

Bearded Dragon Egg
So at night if I get bulbs that produce no light do I leave the basking light on during the night in order to keep the cage warm or should I get a heat pad for underneath? What do you do for ur beardie?

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
If your house drops below 65* at night, you can get a ceramic heat emitter. They do not produce light, only heat. If your house stays at 65* or above, you don't need anything at all over night. Do not do heat pads. Beardies cannot feel heat on their tummies and can easily get burned.

Trinity

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay thank so much for helping me out! What fruits and veggies do u recommend and do u every mix the calcium in with them?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You've gotten some good advise. There's a link below my comment with some general care, give it a read it would be helpful. One thing that wasn't mentioned was that 6 months is too young for brumation. Dragons don't brumate until they are over a year old. If it does it again, check your temps with a temp gun (the analog gauges stuck on the side are useless) and make sure that the basking temp is 107 degrees. A vet visit should be done for any dragon that is going to brumate or if your not sure if it really is brumation.

Trinity

Bearded Dragon Egg
You've gotten some good advise. There's a link below my comment with some general care, give it a read it would be helpful. One thing that wasn't mentioned was that 6 months is too young for brumation. Dragons don't brumate until they are over a year old. If it does it again, check your temps with a temp gun (the analog gauges stuck on the side are useless) and make sure that the basking temp is 107 degrees. A vet visit should be done for any dragon that is going to brumate or if your not sure if it really is brumation.

Is the link just the nutrition link or is there another link? And can I get a temp gun at the pet store or should I order it?

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
For a temp gun, I think most of us order the same one off amazon. I can't remember the brand right off, but it's around $15. I've never used a CHE, so I have no recommendations on that. I'll let somebody else offer their experience.