• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how long should basking lights last?

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
hey, so Charlie is doing well. had him little over a month.. the new basking lamp i got a week before i got him as literally JUST gone.. shouldnt they last longer than a month? I've had to go back to the 75W that MIGHT be too warm, as all shops are shut(stupid sunday closing times) and I'm at work from 8-8 2mo :( it's pretty warm in uk atm and his cool side is roughly like 84F (atm this is normal due to external temp) and his basking spot is at 95F and climbing but I've literally JUST swapped the bulbs round so not sure what it'll go to whilst at work.. should I let him have the Basker on till bed time, then again from wakeys time till i leave for work..OR let it use it's usually 13.5hr timer set and pray it dont get too hot? He'd still have his UVB bulb and I can put CHE on for temp if needed.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
can you just keep checking it and raise the light up if it gets to hot

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
only whilst at home tonight and light is as high as it can go.. i wont be at home from 8am till 8 pm onwards tomorrow when it would be on the longest times.. it's up to 97.88f already since last post too

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
but also shouldnt the actual bulb last longer than 1 month?

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We use a regular 60wat light bulb for basking what kind of bulb where you using?

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
well we got no lightbulbs to swap for. i use exo-terra 75W sun-glo bulb

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
well it's evened to 98.6f in basking and 86f in coolside. with a fan on in room

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
cool I have one that came with the viv that i never put in so i'll pop it in.plus he has some artificial plants to hide behind too

Latest posts