• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Housing my babies

peachiest

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I finally got a second 40 gallon breeder so now my boys can definitely have their own homes. I want to go ahead and move them to the 40s because I don't have anything between the 10 and the 40s and its time yo move up. I've read that a 40 for a little guy can be quite stressful and make finding food and water difficult at best. Any suggestions on how I can maybe partition the space and expand as he grows?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They will b fine in the 40's, u can put them in front of their dishes during feeding 2 show them that area of the enclosure.

peachiest

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok. Great! I'm looking forward to getting them set up in their bigger tanks. I think they'll both be happier.

Ok... On a side note... I'm totally freaking out right now! When I dropped my lamp and broke it about 4 days ago, I immediately ran and bought a new one. At the time, Griffin didn't have a UV light because I was waiting to put him into the bigger tank that I already have a long tube light for. (not the best of the best idea, but the per store guy said a couple weeks w/o the UVB would be okay.) Well since I had to buy a new lamp he showed me the double lamp and a UVB coil bulb. I brought Renegade home the same day. Griffin is perfect. He took a day or so to adjust to his temporary roommate but after that was back to normal, better in fact I think because he's gotten used to me. Renegade isn't doing as well. I know he's still acclimating and he is eating, although not much. Anyway, the cause of my freak out is the bulb. I've been reading some posts online about these Zilla coil bulbs causing blindness and burns and I'm worried about my babies. That bulb cost like $40 and I'd hate to think it's causing my babies problems. Opinions, suggestions.. Help. It had intended to use it until it was time to replace it and get the tube light for my second tank, since most people seem to prefer those. I was also planning to use the ceramic heat emitters for both tank. I haven't bought those yet though.

Sorry for the sudden rant. I'm worried about my Renegade.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
the coil bulbs will be ok short term but limit how close your guy can get to it. the 10.0 tube is much safer. using heat emitters for basking or night heat? night it is really not needed unless night temps dip into low 60's.

peachiest

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
No I was planning to use the heat emitters for basking.

The pet store guy gave me a 5.0 repti sun tube. I should get the 10.0?

I'm definitely not going to continue using the coil when I put the boys in their 40s. Just hate that I wasted that money on that bulb when I could have used it toward something good for my babies.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ya that's a good reason to research before purchasing.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
10.0 is what dragons need. 5.0 would be used on chameleons among other things. i hate to say it, but i too learned the hard way about how little pet stores actually know about what they sell. ive shown my butt in petsmart many a times about their dragons. they hate to see me coming!:cool:

peachiest

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I guess I just thought he'd know what he was talking about since he has beardies and breeds them as well. My babies came from one of his pairs. Sadly, they are the only pet store left in this town, besides Petco. Maybe I should take my buying to the Internet. Guess I'll need to take that 5.0 back to him and educate him on why he shouldn't have sold that one to me. He had to order the heat emitters for me, so I'll be going in soon. He probably didn't exect me to look into stuff myself.

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Remember that the Repti-Sun 10 doesn't give off much UVA and although the CHE will give off plenty of heat they still need the light. I suggest that once you get the Repti-Sun 10.0 bulbs just a regular 60w house hold bulb for heat and UVA.

The coil bulbs can cause eye issue like you talked about above and leaving you dragon for 3-4 days without and UVB isn't that big of an issue, but they will need UVA and Heat to help digest their food.

peachiest

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Since I have the fixture for the tube and already have the CHE, I think I'm going to have one set up with the tube and the CHE. I ordered the Power Sun for the other tank. When it's time to change the bulbs, I'll stick with one or the other. Now, since I already have the CHE, would a low wattage house bulb be sufficient to add light but not heat? I am fairly certain the CHE will provide ample heat. I also bought a thermostat to connect to the lamps to help keep the temps right.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I use and i know others use a regular 60 whatt house bulb

peachiest

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Will that add a significant amount of heat? I want to continue using the CHE since I already spent the money on it.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh im sorry i read your post wrong ya you would want to use a lower what. I use 60 for basking. the two wold be to much IMO. If Your using a tube uva/b bulb isn't that supplying enough light for your enclosure? Guess if your looking for more i would go with another florescent fixture.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just make sure you have a cool side like Brett said florescent

Latest posts