• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hiding

spambortner

Hatchling Dragon
I have a female dragon that I adopted. I've had her going on 2 years. She was said to be 8 months when I adopted her. The reason for rehoming was that she was "aggressive". After a lot of hand feeding, she is pretty tame now. Doesn't like being handled still, but tolerates it.

The issue I'm having is that she hides a lot. She is in a bioactive 4x2x2 zen habitat. She will dig herself under some corkbark and won't come out, even to eat, for weeks at a time. I usually have to pull her out and she will eat normally and bask for about a week or so before hiding again. I've tried taking the corkbark out, but then she digs herself into places where I can't find her. I'd rather leave the bark in so that at least I know where she is.

Is this normal?
In may 2020 our girl Puff decided to do a light brumation. Health check was good. She rarely slept more than a day but spent almost all her time on the cool end. It turns out in aussie, their winter is our summer and some dragon's instincts are so good, they follow the time of their homeland. She hasn't done it this year though and neither has Peaches a rescue we took in, in march. BTW I love your cage, well done!

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
I have a female dragon that I adopted. I've had her going on 2 years. She was said to be 8 months when I adopted her. The reason for rehoming was that she was "aggressive". After a lot of hand feeding, she is pretty tame now. Doesn't like being handled still, but tolerates it.

The issue I'm having is that she hides a lot. She is in a bioactive 4x2x2 zen habitat. She will dig herself under some corkbark and won't come out, even to eat, for weeks at a time. I usually have to pull her out and she will eat normally and bask for about a week or so before hiding again. I've tried taking the corkbark out, but then she digs herself into places where I can't find her. I'd rather leave the bark in so that at least I know where she is.

Is this normal?
Awe, she is so cute! Can you post a pic of the UVB on top of the screen? Sadie can then say for certain if she should be moved closer to it. The blue lights look like they sit on one screen with another lower screen covering the enclosure?
I may be wrong but possibly she hid when the UVB was inside bcuz she was too close & now she hides bcuz she isn’t close enough?
It sux when they want to hide bcuz we spend so much money on them & invest so much into them that we want to be able to enjoy them even if it’s just watching from across the room. Sure hope you can get it sorted out!

spambortner

Hatchling Dragon
ok shes not getting enough UVB if the screen is a fine mesh like a screen door -- if its a wide holed type it can stay there but the distance between the screens is different --- placement for inside 12-15 inches --- on top 8-10 inches -- I know this may not have any difference in the behavior but when she does bask you want her to be able to get all the UVB she can --- it is detrimental to her health
If she has the same zen top we have, plenty of uvb will go through.
20210527_105641.jpg

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon

Is this normal?
I just googled why she might be hiding & there is a lot of reasons like being in the living room where the tv sound could be scaring her, lack of vitamins in the diet, something inside or outside of the enclosure could be stressing her. Maybe try googling the question because there are different things you might be able to try & please keep us updated!

Justine55

Bearded Dragon Egg
Awe, she is so cute! Can you post a pic of the UVB on top of the screen? Sadie can then say for certain if she should be moved closer to it. The blue lights look like they sit on one screen with another lower screen covering the enclosure?
I may be wrong but possibly she hid when the UVB was inside bcuz she was too close & now she hides bcuz she isn’t close enough?
It sux when they want to hide bcuz we spend so much money on them & invest so much into them that we want to be able to enjoy them even if it’s just watching from across the room. Sure hope you can get it sorted out!
20210707_175109.jpg20210707_175014.jpg20210707_174927.jpg

Justine55

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just googled why she might be hiding & there is a lot of reasons like being in the living room where the tv sound could be scaring her, lack of vitamins in the diet, something inside or outside of the enclosure could be stressing her. Maybe try googling the question because there are different things you might be able to try & please keep us updated!
She's in the office. Light traffic. I googled it before coming here... I've adjusted all I possibly could with no difference

LJZONUM

Bearded Dragon Egg
BRUMATION IS NOT out of the equation. Some beardies keep the their native homeland schedule and will brumate during our US summertime. Mine just started his yearly stint of hiding within this last week. Do research outside this forum please. Keep an eye on her weight and as long as she’s not loosing don’t be too worried.

Justine55

Bearded Dragon Egg
BRUMATION IS NOT out of the equation. Some beardies keep the their native homeland schedule and will brumate during our US summertime. Mine just started his yearly stint of hiding within this last week. Do research outside this forum please. Keep an eye on her weight and as long as she’s not loosing don’t be too worried.
She's done this all year round since I've had her. Her previous owner had her on repticarpet and didn't have anywhere for her to hide, so they never had this problem. I'd prefer she stay in a bioactive enclosure.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

Is this normal?
A few things could be going on; if if u are using colored or coiled bulbs then remove them ASAP. Also; have u replaced the UVB light? This needs replacing every “6” Mnths religiously otherwise beardie will have no energy & get MBD. The best one is the Reptisun 10.0 T5 UVb long light. The length should cover 70 percent of the tank and beardie needs a hideaway to get away from it as needed. U can use a hammock on the hot side behind the basking spot and place a soft terry cloth towel on top and a soft fleece underneath so she can hide. Your substrate cannot be used as a Hideaway; please get her one sooner than later. See my photo I have 2. Also The UvB light Needs to be 8-10inches away from the Beardie height wise. Also the heat mite be blazing hot; as they get older Beardies only like 95-97; use a infrared gun u buy from Home Depot and shine it an inch away from the basking spot and use digital thermometers and a digital hygrometer. Humidity 30-40 never higher than 40. The Best heat lamp is the clear Zoomed heat lamp & mine I keep 19imces away and that gets a temp of 95-97. It depends u need to play around maybe raise the heat lamp; buy a lamp raiser form Petsmart. The 24inches height in your tank is hard to work with so u may need to raise it to get the right temp; it sounds like it’s blazing hot. At nite turn all lights off; they like dark and quiet. If she’s a female she mite be Gravid; which means she lays infertile eggs like a girl gets her period 1-2 times a year tyoically in June/July. She needs lots of calcium powder for those few weeks, lots of baths and lots of good proteins; crickets, Dubias and super worms. If feeding meal worms; stop it’s horrible for their tummy’s. Also baths twice per week in lukewarm dechlorinated water for 15min minimum and more when shedding. Use Reptisafe drops to remove the chlorine. Also in the winter they hibernate sometimes; it’s called Brumation. Still keep the lights on daily and provide food/water.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11

spambortner

Hatchling Dragon
Our first did last year. A blood test and fecal ruled out her being sick. She didn't eat for three months. We did weigh her weekly and she lost about a gram a week.

spambortner

Hatchling Dragon
A few things could be going on; if if u are using colored or coiled bulbs then remove them ASAP. Also; have u replaced the UVB light? This needs replacing every “6” Mnths religiously otherwise beardie will have no energy & get MBD. The best one is the Reptisun 10.0 T5 UVb long light. The length should cover 70 percent of the tank and beardie needs a hideaway to get away from it as needed. U can use a hammock on the hot side behind the basking spot and place a soft terry cloth towel on top and a soft fleece underneath so she can hide. Your substrate cannot be used as a Hideaway; please get her one sooner than later. See my photo I have 2. Also The UvB light Needs to be 8-10inches away from the Beardie height wise. Also the heat mite be blazing hot; as they get older Beardies only like 95-97; use a infrared gun u buy from Home Depot and shine it an inch away from the basking spot and use digital thermometers and a digital hygrometer. Humidity 30-40 never higher than 40. The Best heat lamp is the clear Zoomed heat lamp & mine I keep 19imces away and that gets a temp of 95-97. It depends u need to play around maybe raise the heat lamp; buy a lamp raiser form Petsmart. The 24inches height in your tank is hard to work with so u may need to raise it to get the right temp; it sounds like it’s blazing hot. At nite turn all lights off; they like dark and quiet. If she’s a female she mite be Gravid; which means she lays infertile eggs like a girl gets her period 1-2 times a year tyoically in June/July. She needs lots of calcium powder for those few weeks, lots of baths and lots of good proteins; crickets, Dubias and super worms. If feeding meal worms; stop it’s horrible for their tummy’s. Also baths twice per week in lukewarm dechlorinated water for 15min minimum and more when shedding. Use Reptisafe drops to remove the chlorine. Also in the winter they hibernate sometimes; it’s called Brumation. Still keep the lights on daily and provide food/water.
The uvb tubes last 9-12months. The uvb should never be closer than 12 inches and arcadia stares 12-18 inches. Too much protein can turn to yolks. Regular protein is the correct way. At her age that would be 8_10 feeders once a week.