• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hiding

Justine55

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a female dragon that I adopted. I've had her going on 2 years. She was said to be 8 months when I adopted her. The reason for rehoming was that she was "aggressive". After a lot of hand feeding, she is pretty tame now. Doesn't like being handled still, but tolerates it.

The issue I'm having is that she hides a lot. She is in a bioactive 4x2x2 zen habitat. She will dig herself under some corkbark and won't come out, even to eat, for weeks at a time. I usually have to pull her out and she will eat normally and bask for about a week or so before hiding again. I've tried taking the corkbark out, but then she digs herself into places where I can't find her. I'd rather leave the bark in so that at least I know where she is.

Is this normal?

Justine55

Bearded Dragon Egg
20210704_114244.jpg
20210704_114612.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She should be basking at least 4 hrs per day so w/ her hiding alot I am thinking its the lighting in the tank -- do you know if she is digging as if to lay eggs? Have you checked her enclosure for eggs? Let go go over the UVB -- what are you using? coil or tube and where in the tank is it? The basking temps are what? I see the probe so that is good--

Justine55

Bearded Dragon Egg
She should be basking at least 4 hrs per day so w/ her hiding alot I am thinking its the lighting in the tank -- do you know if she is digging as if to lay eggs? Have you checked her enclosure for eggs? Let go go over the UVB -- what are you using? coil or tube and where in the tank is it? The basking temps are what? I see the probe so that is good--
I have not seen any eggs. She has a 24in reptisun uvb led (led for live plants). Uvb is a t5 10.0 reptisun bulb. Basking light is a 150 watt w/ a thermostat at 98⁰ at the probe. Up to 100⁰ and down to 95⁰ depending on how high up she climbs.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have not seen any eggs. She has a 24in reptisun uvb led (led for live plants). Uvb is a t5 10.0 reptisun bulb. Basking light is a 150 watt w/ a thermostat at 98⁰ at the probe. Up to 100⁰ and down to 95⁰ depending on how high up she climbs.
Where is the UVB placed? Inside the tank and how far distance? If its in the tank it should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor

Justine55

Bearded Dragon Egg
Where is the UVB placed? Inside the tank and how far distance? If its in the tank it should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor
It is 10-12in (depending on where she lays) outside of the tank. The fixture does have a reflector.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes. They are 3 tiny blue led lights which are turned off at night. We started using them recently. She still hid before we used the led lights.
Interesting --- w/ the proper lighting and basking temps I am not sure -- shes not showing lethargic behavior - just wont bask -- I was thinking maybe parasites but thats not going to cause her not to bask -- is she losing weight? Please get a weight on her kitchen scale and weigh in grams--- if she is losing weight then there is a issue-- what about pooping ?

Justine55

Bearded Dragon Egg
Interesting --- w/ the proper lighting and basking temps I am not sure -- shes not showing lethargic behavior - just wont bask -- I was thinking maybe parasites but thats not going to cause her not to bask -- is she losing weight? Please get a weight on her kitchen scale and weigh in grams--- if she is losing weight then there is a issue-- what about pooping ?
She doesn't seem to be losing weight. I will weigh her to double check.

Her poops are normal, I think. I've attached a picture. As long as she eats, she poops regularly. This one just happened to be in her bowl .
I've also never seen her drink water, even in the bath. I do keep a water bowl on the cool side, just incase.
20210616_113123.jpg

Justine55

Bearded Dragon Egg
She weighs 556g

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She weighs 556g
Shes of good weight -- most vets would say over weight - the poop looks good too -- how is the humidity in the tank? Optimal is 20-50% nothing under 20 and nothing over 70% --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In her previous tank, it was inside the tank. She still hid the same.
ok shes not getting enough UVB if the screen is a fine mesh like a screen door -- if its a wide holed type it can stay there but the distance between the screens is different --- placement for inside 12-15 inches --- on top 8-10 inches -- I know this may not have any difference in the behavior but when she does bask you want her to be able to get all the UVB she can --- it is detrimental to her health

Bluboy05

Bearded Dragon Egg
She might be in brumation bearded dragons are from southern hemisphere so it is winter there

Latest posts