• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

hiding all the time?

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yoyo has been hiding in the cave on his cool side since I moved him into the new enclosure. He doesn't really eat all that much anymore either. He is starting a shed so I'm assuming that's the cause of his lack of appetite. He's not basking tho which is concerning to me. He's only pooping about 1-2 times a week where before he was pooping everyday. Should I take the hide out until he starts basking again? Or should I leave him be? Temps are good. 85.6 on cool side and 103.7 on his basking spot.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I feel he is going through relocation stress again.. give it some more time, is my suggestion..
Janie

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He's only pooping about 1-2 times a week where before he was pooping everyday

kinda makes me think he's been in his new enclosure for a few weeks? When did he move?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It could be a combo of relo stress coupled with a shed. But with a shed they tend to bask more to help the process.

It's been a couple of weeks, right?

Can you double check your temps? What else could be different - substrate, furniture, etc.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
It's been about a month since we moved him. Double checked temps 85.6 and 103.7. Taken with a temp gun. The only thing that I can think of is that his new enclosure sits on the floor while his old one sat on top of Princess' viv. It's too big and heavy to put it up there now and we haven't gotten to building a shelf to put him on. I've also been working a lot more and haven't been spending as much time with him as I use to. Could that be it? Substrate went from textured ceramic tile to slate tile. What If I try moving his hides around? Putting the one from the cool side that he loves over to the warm side? Also on his cool side his viv sits on one of the heater vents, I blocked it off before I put it there but he could still be getting heat from it. There's no other place to put his viv in my apartment so I'm kinda at a loss here. Here's his favorite hiding place....

DSCF1485.jpg

And if we're lucky he'll come out about this much....
DSCF1494.jpg

DSCF1495.jpg

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
a month is awhile for one his size to be acclimating, but it's possible.
I love your level of hides, but if you wish to get him back in order, you should remove it temporarily to determine if he's just sulking or if there's a bigger issue arising.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
He's about 7 months.. And he's not eating his greens like he used to. He used to clear them daily not he'll onlt eat a bite here and there and bugs but not as many as he used to.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For the next 2 weeks I'd try removing your hide. I really do like it.........and you should be able to implement it again later.
Observe him and see if that helps. But i wouldn't change multiple things. Leave the rest as you set it up.
Is there anything from his old enclosure in there with him?

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
other than the bricks no he outgrew everything else. I took out his hide so we'll see if that helps. His viv looks so empty now lol.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Love the new viv! I agree with Gina. A month is quite a bit of time for him to get acclimated.

It sounds like you two have done some troubleshooting. Keep us updated how it works out without the hide.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well I took out the hide. I rebuilt his basking site similar to how it was in his old viv. And he's been basking again. As of now it seems to be working. He did eat a peice of strawberry this morning. He is shedding tho so he's a grouch.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I just figured out the problem. Turns out that the dragons can see each other from thier enclosures. I didn't think they could. Princess can only see YoYo when he's in his basking spot. That would explain him hiding and her caging dancing.(right?) So when the hubby gets home from work tonight we are going to try to figure out another way to arrange everything or figure out a way to stack them, so they can't see each other. For now I've covered the glass on half of YoYo's viv.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ah-ha! That would explain the constant hiding and lack of appetite along with new environment. Poor thing. Good luck maneuvering everything around.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok so I rearranged and put the vivs so they can't see each other. We have somethings improving and some new things. Yoyo is now basking. (The hides are also still removed.) He ate about 15 roaches this morning. Still not eating his salad. Now for the new stuff. He's started cage dancing and climbing the walls of the viv. He and Princess have started doing this. I've noticed that they seem to do it most in the late morning and early afternoon. Now even tho they can't see each other, the vivs are still next to each other. Are they still aware of the other's presence in the room? Every time I open one of their viv's, they head right over to the other viv to instagate. Am I going to have to put them in separate rooms?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've always thought that cage dancing was a sign poor viv conditions and that they want out. We know that you don't have poor conditions. I think it is relo stress and rebelling the new viv.

I would give it a week and see if things calm down. YoYo has had a lot of changes in a short time. First, new viv and new location. Second, hide taken out = new viv to YoYo. Third, new viv location.

Like I said, I would give it some time and see if things settle down.

Latest posts