• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi! New to Dragons and need advice

XLTKID

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi There,
I was recently searching for a new pet to get. I thought of maybe a reptile as i never had one before. Was planning on a turtle, while on a reptile website, i came across bearded dragons. I have heard the name before, but knew nothing about them. Just thought it was a lizard you keep in a cage, and look at. After reading for 2 days now, i am amazed about them.

I read how docile they are, and like to be picked up and held, petted etc. I really like that. I am still in full research mode and would like advise from you all on what book or books i can get, magazines and anything else that will help me. Which website to buy supplies from, etc. etc.

I am really excited about this all and would like to get a dragon, but want to learn everything first in order to give it a good home. So, please, let me know where to go online and what to read. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the Forum you have came to the rite place you can read old post and ask all the questions you want you wont find the kind of info in a book that you can get from hear. The best place to buy one is from a breeder there are some on this site take your pick and join in and ask questions.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the community - you've definitely found the right place! As Bill said, we can fill you in on everything you need to know. Whereabouts do you live? Do you have space for a beardie inside and/or outside? What questions do you have for us?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the BD Forum. We do have some very knowledgable people on this site that don't mind helping out & passing on the information they have acquired. Dragons are very docile & the more research you do, the more u will fall in love with these little guys. Any questions you may have, don't hesitate to ask. I am very happy that you have decided to study up on dragons before you make a purchase, it will make a BIG difference when u are getting set up.

XLTKID

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Welcome to the community - you've definitely found the right place! As Bill said, we can fill you in on everything you need to know. Whereabouts do you live? Do you have space for a beardie inside and/or outside? What questions do you have for us?

Thanks Josh. Appreciate all the replies. I like to study all new things before plunging in. I was living in Phoenix, but been in MN for a month now working a job, but heard i might be layed off soon already. If that happens, i will go back to Phoenix. I dislike this small town here.

I need to write down my questions for you all when i think of them. I read it is better to get a baby, but then you will not know the sex till later, i would rather have a male myself. How old are they to tell what sex? I also read i can keep one under 12 inches in a 20 gallon tank, then 40 or more after 12 inches. Is it true they can grow up to 9 inches in a matter of a few months? I know crickets are a main food item for babies. Guess i can order them online. But my question on that is, where do you keep live crickets at home so their noise does not disturb you? Or, can i buy those freeze dried ones instead?

I for sure want to set up their tank as a desert/southwest scene, but also know not to put sand in there until they are older. Use papertowels or tiles instead. I agree about buying online as it is cheaper than a pet store, and that is for the dragon itself and all supplies. Which suppliers are good? And what breeders?

I watched a youtube video of a boy who had a dragon, every time he tried to pet it, it would open it's mouth and try to bite him, is this normal? Do they bite? I am still nervous about even holding one, but i know i will be over that. I had 2 ferrets in the past which were a handful, so i am sure i can handle a dragon. I can't wait! It will be another month or two yet. Thanks!

This is it for now, but be warned, i will post again soon with more questions.

XLTKID

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Welcome to the BD Forum. We do have some very knowledgable people on this site that don't mind helping out & passing on the information they have acquired. Dragons are very docile & the more research you do, the more u will fall in love with these little guys. Any questions you may have, don't hesitate to ask. I am very happy that you have decided to study up on dragons before you make a purchase, it will make a BIG difference when u are getting set up.

Thanks Jeff! I look forward to being on here and learning more. I was always nervous about reptiles since i hate snakes and spiders. But lizards are cool. Back in AZ as a kid we would catch the horny toads in the desert lol. Like i posted in a reply to Josh, it will be a couple months yet, so will continue my research. Thanks.

XLTKID

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Welcome to the Forum you have came to the rite place you can read old post and ask all the questions you want you wont find the kind of info in a book that you can get from hear. The best place to buy one is from a breeder there are some on this site take your pick and join in and ask questions.

Thanks Bill!

alivia werner

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
as long as you hold them 20 min a day theyll be the sweetest things ever :D bb=ut if you dont handle them they can develop an aditude but mostare naturally sweet natured there are hundreds of breeders online and esy place to find most of them in one place is fauna classifieds http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=484&order=desc
and kingsnake classifieds http://market.kingsnake.com/index.php?cat=51
but you can sex a baby depending on whose doing it most breeders can figure it out and are 95% right but if its some one with little experience they only have a possiblity of beeing right heres a vidieo by the blood bank bearded dragon breeder on sexing adult and baby dragons http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjVo8oZ5r1I but they are one of the least complicated reptile to care for and are definately the most fufiling and have individual personalities so just look around think of what you want and as far as how big the cage should be youo can keep small dragons in smaller tanks but if you want them growing at thier full potential and give them teh most stimulation and comphort i waould start with the 40 gallon adn also it seems easier to buy one big tank than first buying a small just to go buy another big one but lotsa people are here to help so well be definately looking forward to your questions :D

Latest posts