• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

help with basking

geauxlsu83

Bearded Dragon Egg
question germ about the uvb set up... im getting a 50 gal today or tom. do i just put the uvb on top of his basking area on top of the mesh lid?

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Best would be under the lid. Putting on top will cut the UVB rays basically in half. Also make sure you use either reptiglo or reptisun 10.0.

Uvb needs to be either in front or behind basking fixture.

If you put below lid it must hang lower than basking fixture. If you put on top of lid your beardie must be able to get within 8-10 inches of it.

2. http://
www.beardeddragonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5

Read this about Uvb setup

geauxlsu83

Bearded Dragon Egg
thanks. I do have reptiglo 10.0 but it's only a 20" lid ... so should i get a longer one for a 50 gal?? and i do appreciate ya'lls help.. some places rag you when you ask questions lol

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I use a 24" Uvb tube with mine. This is how it will sit in with new vivs I'm building

uploadfromtaptalk1393513866647.jpg

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
They suggest having a lid but when i got my baby i put him in a 55 without a lid and suspended the uvb with wire. something like this. This is what i had before i built one
uploadfromtaptalk1393519547631.jpg

geauxlsu83

Bearded Dragon Egg
my basking spot is 112 and my wife said he's acting kinda crazy... he's shedding too... (not worried) but just wondering if they act diff.
is it too hot?

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Its on a 55gal stand made for 2 55gals. His new viv is on the top shelf until i make a stand. And i dont think they should have access to anything over 110°but maybe someone else can weigh in on this one.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Its on a 55gal stand made for 2 55gals. His new viv is on the top shelf until i make a stand. And i dont think they should have access to anything over 110°but maybe someone else can weigh in on this one.
Hottest spot in the tank should be no hotter than 115F. 112F is fine for a baby. Juvies and adults have it a bit lower.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Post a picture of your setup do we can assist u better.

And yes beardies should move if they r too hot or u see them open there mouths to regulate body temperature.

But really best thing would be post a good side profile picture of your tank that way we can see exactly what you are talking about instead of u trying to explain and us imagining it.

For instance my guy Jades setup
uploadfromtaptalk1393528383434.jpg

Top of vine = 110
Top of rock = 105
Bottom of rock = 90

SolidSnake

Hatchling Dragon
I use a 150w Reptile basking bulb with a dome and a dimmer switch, I find it much easier to regulate, my guys Temp is set at 102* and I can increase or decrease his temps if needed with the dimmer switch

Latest posts