• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

help with basking

geauxlsu83

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi I'm new dragon owner. I bought a Zilla desert kit...In short it sucks, bought a 100w intense basking spot he basks where light is 9 1/2" on a log measured temp with infrared it's only 85 at most what should I buy to get it to 100+...Please help

geauxlsu83

Bearded Dragon Egg
also when he poops you can see bits of crickets so i'm assuming he is not digesting well because it's not hot enough...

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They do suck even with those lights. I learned that halogen flood lamps are the best sources of light and heat. They emit more heat than a standard regular bulb and have a brighter output of light. (Mine has standard light until her new heat bulb comes in.) Since they are hotter and depending on the size of the tank, I would go with a 75 watt halogen flood.

Do you have a UVB tube light?

geauxlsu83

Bearded Dragon Egg
so is a flood a flourescent tube? and i did get one but the tube was faulty i have to get one today to replace it

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Heating can be tricky to say the least.

I used a 75watt halogen flood bulb and well it produced heat in excess of 135degrees. With it being 14 inches above basking area(top of lid to bottom of tank.) so it would be even hotter the closer to the bulb.

I have currently right now a 100watt zoo med basking spot bulb. Same conditions but is only 90 at lowest point and 115 at highest point.

So height makes a huge difference also. And also surface of whatever they bask in makes a difference too.

So a pic of tank setup would really help is help you.

**all posts are that of my opinion and what I've learned over the years**

geauxlsu83

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a log that puts batman at 9 1/2 " from bulb when sitting on mesh. if clipped to side it is prob 14" im guessing

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
100watt basking spot bulb should be producing more than 85 degree. The wood very well could be absorbing the heat.

I'd honestly suggest a thermometer with a prob end and place it in basking area.

My temps with a temp gun aimed at the rock than at the vine differ drastically.

Maybe try that.......

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
First of all, those Ten Gallon Zilla Kits have killed several BDs on this forum alone. You can not achieve a proper heat gradient in the few inches that is available in one.

ZillaDesert10.jpg

Do you have a UVB bulb? The temps that you are saying that you are getting, with the bulbs that you are using, makes me question whether you are using your temp gun properly. Having to move the lighting to take the temps will not give accurate measurements. Please see: Thermometers

Some good links that you may find useful ...
Basic Bearded Dragon Care Guide - A Place To Start
UVB Setup
Thermometers
Is Bearded Dragon Cohabitation A Good Plan?
Bearded Dragon - Exclusive Care Info Library
What's Good & Not So Good To Feed - Beautiful Dragon's Nutrition Guide
How to Sex a Bearded Dragon

Last edited:

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My tank's pretty big-45-55 gallon critter tank. So tanks make a difference.

Yes tank size will definitely make a difference on ambient temperatures but the basking site still needs to be 100 to 115 degree irregardless of size. Sometimes even with big tanks like yours you need a secondary heat source on cool side to keep its temps up in range....

geauxlsu83

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just bought a UVB tube yesterday unfortunately it was faulty had my wife exchange it today.. petco didn't tell my wife anything about uvb...i am never dealing with them again

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
so even with a 10 gal you think i should get a 150w?
Definitely not, what you need to do is get a larger enclosure, a proper UVB Bulb & an accurate thermometer.
Housing: A minimum 20 Gal. size enclosure is the smallest useable size for a young dragon that will allow for the proper temperature gradient required, but they will require a larger enclosure as they grow. Ideally, adults should be housed in a 40+ gallon sized enclosure or an enclosure with a minimum of 4 square feet of floor area. It is often more cost effective to start right out with a larger uncluttered enclosure. When looking for or designing an enclosure, keep in mind that floor space is important, so width and depth are preferable to height. Avoid placing enclosures in excessively active areas or in direct sunlight as this has the potential to increase ambient temperatures without providing any benefits (the beneficial UVB rays of the sun do not penetrate solid filters such as glass or plastic). Enclosures should be spot cleaned daily and thoroughly cleaned on a regular schedule.

Read More: http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3

Latest posts