• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help? should I be concerned??

Michele654

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Two steps foward, one step backwards is seems...Last night I brought Kiwi in for her re-check and brought along a fecal sample. Testing revealed cricket parts and cricket mites that had been impacted for a while. I recalled two weeks ago I tossed out a batch of crickets because the odor was unusually foul. Just as suspected, the crickets were cheap and sickly. So ya I learnt my lesson. The Vet assured me the Panacure is helping to clean her out but it's a slow process. The good news is she didn't feel the need for another enema. The impactions is letting up. Unfortunately her nasal infection is still present but the Vet will consider moving to antibiotic injections if it's not cleared up by the time her oral antibiotics are done.

During the visit last night Kiwi was in good spirits and full of energy not to mention that stuborn Beardie attitude is back. Again the Vet commented on her great progress. The main concern now is her weight. She has lost alot of weight. She's gone from 353.grams down to 316.grams since October 02. Vet gave me a new suppliments called Carnivor Care to be given daily. I asked about the supplliments ladyknight recommened and the Vet said it was good but only once Kiwi is able to digest better. Right now she's too sensitive to anything being newly introduced to her diet.
Anyway I fed her the carnivor care stuff last night and she seemed to enjoy it. But unfortunatly in the middle of the night I went to check on her and she had vomitted all of it. I was devasted. So there I was at 4:30 am washing out her VIV. I put her in the tub. I was very surprised to see how much water she drank while in there. Is this a good sign??? I hope so.
I will be calling the Vet's later this morning to tell them what happened and about the water..I'll let you's know.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Poor Kiwi. She is in good hands. You are taking great care of her and your vet seems knowledgeable on what the issue is and how to handle it. Keep up the good work and let us know what the vet says about her throwing up her meds...

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i would suggest trying to feed it earlier in the day. Mid day maybe, when her basking site is its warmest that way it will give her body more time to try and absorb the nutrients. I am not at all surprised that she puked it up as distrout as her system is it will take some getting used to. The longer amount of time with direct light/heat to aid in her digestion should help a lot.

Michele654

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I called this morning and talked with the Herp Tech nurse and she told me that it could be one of two things. First she may have over did it with the 1ml of food at once. Especially since she hadn't eaten that much in a while. She told me to feed her less (aobut 1/4 ml) but offer is more often in ( about 4 times) a day. If she vomits again then rush her in again.
As for the water, well since she vomitted she is probably dehydrated that one time this morning. But told me to keep a strick watch on her water intake. Too much water can't be good for her either. If she starts to drink alot again in the tub to take her out after a few sips.

Michele654

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you crypticdragons you gave me some reassurance and encouragement when you told me it didn't surprise you. I was feeling so discouraged and have been worrying all day. I did feed her last night while she was wrapped in a warm heating pad, assuming that would help but a hour later I put her in back in her cage and the basking lights when out one hour after that at 8:00PM.
Question, her lights go on at 6:30Am and out at 8:00PM basking (8:30 UV). Question is should I set her lights on longer now to help her heal or leave it as they are now? Any suggestions?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i wouldnt change her light schedule (dont want to add more stress to the situation). If her lights come on at 630, i would give the first dose of the meal-replacement at around 730-800 if possible (i personally would do half in the morning instead of a quarter dose but its up to you as to what you are comfortable with and you and your vet know more about her particular situation than i do). Following the 4 dose directions i would give the second at 11-12, 3rd around 330, and the last dose at 630.

Michele654

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I got the weekend to do this...I will try the 1/4ml in the morning but won't push my luck but later gradually give her more in the next few feedings during the day. Provided she can handle more later in the day...I hope she keeps it down. Thanks for the advice.

Michele654

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Update- Saturday morning Kiwi did a nice poop in her bath..yeeaah. and she managed to keep the food suppliments down as well. I did as you (crytpicdragon) suggested. I fed her after her bath and she managed the keep it down. I fed her only 1/2ML around 9:30AM. I didn't want to push my luck but later around 11:30 she was willing to eat 1ML. I gave her another 1ML at 4:30 along with her antibiotic meds and her bedtime bath. Oh and I do place her a warmed up heating pad to feed her so to stimulate her appetite. Does it really work? I don't know for sure but she seems to like being cuddled up in it as she eats.
On Sunday morning she did another nice little poop in her bath(not as big as yesterdays) and ate better. I followed the same shedule as yesterday. Let me say she still was not interested in superworms or baby crickets at this point. I keep alot of greens in her viv hoping she'll try to eat some but nothing so far.

Then finally this morning after her bath I fed her 1/2ML then put her back in her VIV and gave her one superworm..she eat it fast so I gave her another, then another, so on and wow she eat 5 superworms including her suppliment this morning. She hadn't eaten that much in a while. I tried to coax her to eat the 6th one but no she had enough. I have a friend going in later to offer more superworm and change her greens to a fresh batch. She didnt' poop this morning but tonight she gets her Panacure meds so that might stimulate her bowels.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Im glad things are getting better for her. Be slow with the supers though as her body has to get up to snuff some for digestion purposes. Im glad she ate some of them that is awesome news. Keep offering but dont let her go to overboard. Try and sneak crickets in while feeding her. Hopefully she wont notice its not a super until after she is already chomping away at it lol.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is great news about Kiwi. It sound like your hard work and efforts are paying off. Keep us updated.

Michele654

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Question! I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how much food supplement I should be giving her at this point. Since her Panacure dosage on Monday her bowels really starting to loosen up nicely. She goes in the bath each morning and voids a fair amount. Right after her bath I give her the supplement. I try to at least get 1ml in her. She then usually ates a few superworms. She won't touch the crickets or the Veggies so I know she needs more nutrition. She refused to eat at 5:00 when I try again. Do you think 1ml is enough? My Vet is on holidays for a week. Can you offer any suggestions?

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
1 ml really isn't enough unless she's slowed her metabolism for the natural onset of brumation. At this point, there's no way to know that. She had the signs, but also had other issues that could have had the same symptoms. With the addition of supers, she's most likely doing ok nutrition wise for now.

Are you monitoring weight? That will be your key factor in assessing her condition.

Michele654

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yes at the Vet office. Kiwi has a scheduled weighing appointment next Monday. When all this started she was 355grams. Last time the Vet checked she was a 316grams. I'm hoping to get her at least half way back up to that original by Monday.

Michele654

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi all..Kiwi is doing great. She is gaining weight and eating about 40 small crickets per day in the last few days. At first she was only eating the suppliments and a few superworm but nothing more than that. Till Sunday morning I woke up to find her first cluster of eggs in her cages. She had 15 eggs. I was very worried cause she wasn't healthy enough in my opinion to be releasing eggs. She was quite lethargic the remainder of the day but she wanted to eat crickets so I kept adding 10 at a time thoughout the day. I kept her on small crickets for easier disgestion since she wasn't eating in the last little while but tonight I have to go get her some larges one cause she's REAAALLLY hungry...lol Her next and hopefully final re-check at the Vets will be Nov 12. Crossing my fingers for a clean bill of health..lol
So there you have it... she's looking great!!!!!

Latest posts