• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay. We're working on getting all the proper things. Can I ask you a couple more questions for your opinion?
Should I bother with this small tank, the 16 gallon one? I liked this one to start with because it has a front door rather top opening. I don't want the beardie to be skiddish about something coming from above, also easier to feed off of tongs and putting in food in general. But even at 16 gallons, most of the space is in height. I also have a 20 gallon tank (30x12x12 in) that I could use before I build. It has a top opening screen. Or should I just wait and build the custom now before getting another one?
What else do I put in the tank? He has the large basking rock/cave that he could climb on and inside of.
Where would you recommend getting our beardie from? I don't want to support pet shops. Especially not after what happened to us.
If you get a baby you can use the 20 gallon for now --- granted he would need to be out of that tank by the time hes 5-6 months old - they grow quickly so if you can get your other tank built in that time period then start looking for another dragon - I would start on the other enclosure now - small tanks are hard to keep temps in - the 20 gallon is what I used for Blaze till my Zen came - he was in the 20 gallon for probably 3 weeks as I had already ordered it before I got him - he came from a breeder that had come out of running her Fish/ Reptile store she went out of business due to her partners she was in w/ - anyway Blaze came from a good breeder but I knew her personally - I can get some reputable names for breeders if you like - let me know - shop Petsmart for some good dragon decor - or you can get stuff from outside you just would need to bake the wood first to kill what ever is living inside etc -- you want stuff that he can climb on hammocks are popular but you want fleece or cloth no mesh they seem to cause a lot of injury w/ the nails etc www.pamperedbeardies.com - most of my decor came from Petsmart - I like it cuz its easy to clean and sanitize - shop Etsy and search bearded dragon - they have a lot of stuff for dragons too like couches beds etc --

LessIsMoreMomma

Bearded Dragon Egg
If you get a baby you can use the 20 gallon for now --- granted he would need to be out of that tank by the time hes 5-6 months old - they grow quickly so if you can get your other tank built in that time period then start looking for another dragon - I would start on the other enclosure now - small tanks are hard to keep temps in - the 20 gallon is what I used for Blaze till my Zen came - he was in the 20 gallon for probably 3 weeks as I had already ordered it before I got him - he came from a breeder that had come out of running her Fish/ Reptile store she went out of business due to her partners she was in w/ - anyway Blaze came from a good breeder but I knew her personally - I can get some reputable names for breeders if you like - let me know - shop Petsmart for some good dragon decor - or you can get stuff from outside you just would need to bake the wood first to kill what ever is living inside etc -- you want stuff that he can climb on hammocks are popular but you want fleece or cloth no mesh they seem to cause a lot of injury w/ the nails etc www.pamperedbeardies.com - most of my decor came from Petsmart - I like it cuz its easy to clean and sanitize - shop Etsy and search bearded dragon - they have a lot of stuff for dragons too like couches beds etc --
Thank you!
Yes, I'd love some reputable breeders. People that care for them and not just looking at business

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

LessIsMoreMomma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Water dishes are not recommended in the tank unless the dragon actually drinks from it most do not --- and yes it will increase the humidity in the tank -- so unless hes drinking in the tank and your tank has real low humidity in it I would not use one - they just take up floor space - you want a digital probe hygrometer Exo Terra sells them - that probe needs to go on the back center wall of the tank - optimal humidity 30-40% -- you dont want it under 20 and over 70% --- your dragon will most of his hydration from his salads - rinse the greens before serving them - also gut loading the insects as well will help w/ hydration -- watching the poops -- you want formed dark moist stool and white urate -- no dry chalky urate hes dehydrated --
I was wondering the difference between a regular heat emitting bulb and a ceramic bulb. Do you know if one is better? Lasts longer? Etc
Also, I am looking for some vegetation for the new set up. Will any fake plants be fine? The prices on "reptile" fake veg is way more then of I went to the craft store and just picked out some there

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was wondering the difference between a regular heat emitting bulb and a ceramic bulb. Do you know if one is better? Lasts longer? Etc
Also, I am looking for some vegetation for the new set up. Will any fake plants be fine? The prices on "reptile" fake veg is way more then of I went to the craft store and just picked out some there
CHE is a bulb w/ no light used usually at nite to keep temps above 65 -- they are good for winter and if you have a sick dragon ---- dragons will sometimes try to eat plastic plants -- it depends on the dragon -- I got some hanging vines off of Amazon that have the big magnetic magnet on the backs of them my dragons do not eat them and have never tried -- they were spendy -- you can try them in the tank but make sure the dragon is eating them -- if he is you will haft to pull them out

LessIsMoreMomma

Bearded Dragon Egg
CHE is a bulb w/ no light used usually at nite to keep temps above 65 -- they are good for winter and if you have a sick dragon ---- dragons will sometimes try to eat plastic plants -- it depends on the dragon -- I got some hanging vines off of Amazon that have the big magnetic magnet on the backs of them my dragons do not eat them and have never tried -- they were spendy -- you can try them in the tank but make sure the dragon is eating them -- if he is you will haft to pull them out
We purchased a sweet little orange with blue stripes Rainbow Tiger Hypo 3 month old girl from that breeder you shared. She'll be here Nov 11. Plenty of time to get everything set up properly. As things come in and I start working on her terrarium setup I'd love to share it with you and get your opinions and help with tweaking anything.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We purchased a sweet little orange with blue stripes Rainbow Tiger Hypo 3 month old girl from that breeder you shared. She'll be here Nov 11. Plenty of time to get everything set up properly. As things come in and I start working on her terrarium setup I'd love to share it with you and get your opinions and help with tweaking anything.
ok and I want to see the little one when you get her --- she sounds beautiful

LessIsMoreMomma

Bearded Dragon Egg
ok and I want to see the little one when you get her --- she sounds beautiful
Hey there! I'm working on getting up the cage today and have no idea how to hang the uvb light. It's the reptisun 24" 5.0 you suggested. Do I just put over the grate? It's wider metal mesh, not the tiny screen. (I haven't put the stuff in yet because I'm moving the crickets out this afternoon.

Attachments

• PXL_20211108_184850537.jpg
    PXL_20211108_184850537.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20211108_184802439.jpg
    PXL_20211108_184802439.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20211108_184923601.jpg
    PXL_20211108_184923601.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 12

LessIsMoreMomma

Bearded Dragon Egg
We're using the 20 gallon 30x12 until we build her new one.
I'm also going to cover the sides and back of cage. Was planning to use a poster board. Can I put in the tank or on outside of tank?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey there! I'm working on getting up the cage today and have no idea how to hang the uvb light. It's the reptisun 24" 5.0 you suggested. Do I just put over the grate? It's wider metal mesh, not the tiny screen. (I haven't put the stuff in yet because I'm moving the crickets out this afternoon.
Ok the 5.0 needs to be unobstructed the screen can be 3/4 on take the uvb fixture place it on one end of the tank width wise butt the screen up to it place your basking bulb next to it+ put a piece of decor directly under the uvb 6-8 inches

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We're using the 20 gallon 30x12 until we build her new one.
I'm also going to cover the sides and back of cage. Was planning to use a poster board. Can I put in the tank or on outside of tank?
Outside of tank please ------------- update on dragon

Tina W.

Hatchling Dragon
Hi. I have been following this thread and am really sorry for your loss. My little guy is almost five months old and is my first one. I did a ton of research before I got him and had his tank all set up before he came. I wanted to make sure the temps and humidity were good. There is a lot of info on dragons.
Also, I bought my baby from a reptile breeder. Not any kind of pet store. I used Rick Hurst at Cold Blood Creations. I found him on YouTube. I received a beautiful healthy baby that was eating well and socialized. The cost was a little more because of shipping but well worth it. I highly recommend Mr. Hurst.

LessIsMoreMomma

Bearded Dragon Egg
We got our little girl today! She is beautiful and so calm and sweet. After unpacking her we put her straight into her cage to adjust and relax. She has been basking and exploring. Has not eaten yet but I'll be trying again in a few minutes...want to have plenty of time before lights out at 6:30. I'll post a picture as soon as I get one. I'm not wanting to hover or over interact right now.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We got our little girl today! She is beautiful and so calm and sweet. After unpacking her we put her straight into her cage to adjust and relax. She has been basking and exploring. Has not eaten yet but I'll be trying again in a few minutes...want to have plenty of time before lights out at 6:30. I'll post a picture as soon as I get one. I'm not wanting to hover or over interact right now.
She probably won't eat much if anything- the traveling and relocation stress+ can't wait to see her

LessIsMoreMomma

Bearded Dragon Egg
She actually ate 9 discoid roaches this late afternoon after I wrote this! I was so happy!! Lol. Here she is...not a great pic but she's a big healthy girl. She hatched Aug 22.
I cut the wire out from under the wire lid so that the uvb isn't obstructed. She had a 75 watt heat lamp at moment. A new dimmable one is coming tomorrow. Her hot spots have different levels offering different temps ranging from 96 to 105' which is exactly how her breeder had her set up. She also has a basking spot under the uvb that's 6" under light. Humidity is at 38% last I checked yesterday.

Attachments

• PXL_20211111_175756948.jpg
    PXL_20211111_175756948.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20211111_173746696.jpg
    PXL_20211111_173746696.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 9

LessIsMoreMomma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh I also completely covered all sides of her tank. I'll only open the front later on but going to do that slowly after a week so she adjusts slowly

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh I also completely covered all sides of her tank. I'll only open the front later on but going to do that slowly after a week so she adjusts slowly
Get your hands in the tank as soon as you can you want her used to you and your smell -- get the BSFL and go from there ---- you can take a fleece blanket or a piece of clothing w/ your scent on it place in her hide so she knows your smell ---

Latest posts