• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP! He wont try the Dubias!!!

chrismnc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
As of today, just that one... he really doesn't eat much protein. Also, he hasn't pooped since that one roach. I hope I shouldn't be worried. Tim said that Ziggys mom grew like crazy, brumated early then grew more. He seems happy enough and isn't hiding. When we are home we open the viv door and Zig will crawl out and to his favorite spot by the window. He is doing all of this. I will give him a bath tonight.

Thanks for all of your help

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Daily baths are a good thing to get the poops moving....

I'm sure Tim went over all of this with you, but can you give us a run down of your setup -
1. What UV light are you using?
2. What is your substrate?
3. What are you temps?
4. What are you using to measure your temps?

You may want to try switching up his diet. Offer a variety of proteins and salad. Also, something to keep in mind, these guys are desert animals. They tend to gorge themselves and then go with nothing for a short bit. As long as it isn't over a week and he is not brumating, it is probably par for the course.

Also, if he is acting normal, you are probably fine. But getting a fecal done is never a bad idea. Could be a bad batch of proteins...

chrismnc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sorry that I havent been on lately. Got the flu.

Ok, here's my setup

40X20X20 viv, tiles on floor. Powersun 10.0 tube replaced in August. Basking area 110-114*, cool side 74*; it is a double decker viv so there are many places in between these two temps. Didital thermometer with probe checked with temp gun. Fecal was done in August and he was clean.

He does exactly what you mentioned. He eats alot then nothing.... He does not seem to want to brumate. He hasnt been in his hide at all lately.

I keep offering roaches but he ignores them. He will eat the supers. I feed him collards w/mustard/dandelion/turnip added. He gets whatever veges we have in his salad but rarely eats the veges unless it's squash or sweet pot.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I hope you feel better. There is a lot of nasty stuff going around.

Well, it sounds to me like you have one finicky lizard. lol...
Nothing is standing out to me. Keep feeding him the veggies that he likes. Sweet potatoes are really good for them. Pile on the sweets and sprinkle some collards on top. He may eat a couple to get to the sweet potatoes.

Not every dragon brumates. So, it sounds like he is doing just fine. I've been told by my herp vet that as long as they eat within a one week period and are pooping regularly, there should be no reason for concern.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
the only thing i can think of is that he may not be adjusting to the
double decker viv
due to relocation.

I might consider switching him over to a temp bin for acclimation and observation.

chrismnc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
He's been in that viv since August. Maybe he is reacting to the holiday decorations??? We just took down the Halloween decorations from my daughters party. I have all four sides of his viv open. I think I will try blocking off a side or two. Thoughts???

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I know quite a few people who block a side of the viv to cut down on the glare. We kept all 4 sides open on Bernie's. We had him located in the family room by the kitchen. So, he could watch us in there as well as when we were in the kitchen. Beardies are people watchers and like to have activity around them. He liked it.

Sorry, this probably doesn't answer your question. I guess it is a personal choice.

chrismnc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I think he does like the open-ness of the viv. He is in the family room and can see the whole room from there. He loves to watch tv and look out the window. The more paper that I took off his old viv, the more he seemed to like it so that's why I never covered this viv. ??????

Latest posts