• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP! He wont try the Dubias!!!

chrismnc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My 6 month old dragon, Ziggy has refused crickets in the past and never looked back. I fed him supers and crickets at that time. Since refusing the crickets, I ordered Dubias. I have them now but he will not even try them!!!

What should I do? How do I get him to try them?????? HHHEEELLLPPPP!!!!

Thanks, Chris

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Couple of other thoughts too -
What is your UV light?
What is your temp on the hot and cool side?
What are you using to measure your temps?

chrismnc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yes, just the one. He is big tho over 18 1/2"

I have a Zoo Med Power sun 10.0 tube over the entire viv; installed in August. His basking spot is about 110-113* and cool areas are 74*. He has a double decker viv so he has many spots that are in between these temps. I use a digital thermometer with probe and use a temp gun to check it.

He gets calcium with D3 5x week and multivivtimins 2x week - I put these on his live feeders so these amounts are dependant on IF he eats them that day. He gets collard greens daily and I mix it up with dandelion sometimes. He likes summer squash and sweet potato mixed in so I alternate. Sometimes adding cucumber for extra water. He isn't big on fruit. Occasionally will eat watermelon.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry, I meant how long have you had him?

His diet seems fine. How often does he poop? Does he get soaks or other forms of hydration other than the add ons to his salad?

chrismnc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Oh, sorry. No, I've had him since he was 6 weeks old. I got him from Thevirus on June 23rd. Moved him from the small tank to the big one in August because he was already over 12". That's when I got the 36" reptiSun tube.

He poops daily to every other day. Kindof depends on his intake. If he eats alot one day, he poops alot the next; 2 -3 times.

He gets baths about every other day...hates them tho. Lately it's been about twice a week I guess.

I wonder if because he is so big, is his eating becoming more adult already? He showed signs of puberty as early as 4-5 months.

I don't think he likes just eating the supers, I wouldn't want just one choice. But he acts like he has no interest in the Dubias. I can wait until he's really hungry.... seems sad to do tho. He's my love, ya know?

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
try putting them in a small bowl. i use ceramic because they have slick sides. Hold off on the supers for a few days to see if he'll take the roaches. Sometime they're just stubborn.

If he continues to show no interest, and acts like he may want to brumate, have a fecal ran, and if its all good, observe him and monitor his weight.

Your breeder is always the first place to search for answers, as it's always possible he has a hold back from the same clutch to compare to.

chrismnc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks so much for the advise. I pm'd Tim about it also.

I don't think he's ready to brumate, although he did use his hide twice this week but I thought he just wanted to go to bed early. Isn't he too young to brumate?

Personally, I think he's just spoiled and therefore, stubborn. :)

Thanks again.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A side note - you will find that some dragons are just plain finicky. They will eat one thing for the longest time and nothing else but that one thing. Then at a drop of a hat, they won't touch the one thing they loved. A variety of salad and proteins is best to keep their interest peaked.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
so right Renee.

he is a little young for brumation, but it doesn't rule out a slow down.

When the season changes to fall/winter, it brings about a increase in barometric pressure which affects most living things. (this is the stuff that makes your ears pop) When the pressure bears downward, dragons tend to sleep a little earlier, sometimes eat a little less, and may not bask quite as much. Unfortunately parasites present the same symptoms early on. Which is why a fecal is a good idea if you think anything is amiss.

chrismnc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks again for the advise. I did do a fecal in August and he was parasite free. How often should I have them done? Do you recommend one now? His poop is the same as ever.

Insert Quote
A side note - you will find that some dragons are just plain finicky. They will eat one thing for the longest time and nothing else but that one thing. Then at a drop of a hat, they won't touch the one thing they loved. A variety of salad and proteins is best to keep their interest peaked.

This sounds exactly like him. So to avoid this, always mix it up? He will pick out the collards when I add other greens and likes sweet potato one week, then ignores it. Is in love with zucchini one day.... You get the picture. I stopped buying phoenix worms because he refused them and they died. Maybe try them again?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I currently do mine every 6 months... But once I am set up with my own lab, I'll process any time I want...
Janie

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
oh August.........sounds good on the fecal........
*I still need a "thumbs up icon"

yup, pretty much Renee was saying to keep varying your insects trying to get him to eat a less selective diet. The same aspect as you changing around greens in his salad from time to time.
Roaches, hornworms, supers, crix, silkworms..........give a couple things a try.

chrismnc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
FYI I used to feed him crix, phoenix worms and small supers a while back. All three every day. Should I make it more like, one this day and one another????

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Exactly. Crickets Monday...Roaches Tuesday...Silkworms Wednesday, etc.

For greens/veggies, offer a variety too. Collard greens, mustard greens, dandelions to name a few. Squash, sweet potato, butternut squash, peppers (red/green/yellow/orange)...if you don't keep the veggies on hand, you can find a variety at the salad bar at the supermarket.

chrismnc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Re: HELP! He wont try the Dubias!!!*HE ATE ONE!!!!*

HE ATE ONE!!! HE ATE ONE!!! A nice big one too. Made me gag watching him chew and chew and chew.... But HE ATE ONE!!!!! I am thrilled. He didn't want another one but that 's ok!!! HE ATE ONE!!!

:)
Chris

Latest posts