• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello everyone!

Badwolfe

Hatchling Dragon
Yea, that's why I'm moving the basking and supplemental heating(dhp) outside the enclosure onto the top. He's a wild one and I don't need that to happen lol
The dhp would be better left inside the enclosure with a cage. Like UVB tubes they have an optimal distance

Srmcclure

Hatchling Dragon
The dhp would be better left inside the enclosure with a cage. Like UVB tubes they have an optimal distance
OK, so new question. I thought it might be better for that to have a dome to project the heat down into the cage. It really only comes on at night since we keep our house colder... would It work better with the cage instead and not mess up the top of the cage do to temps? I get paranoid about some of these things

Badwolfe

Hatchling Dragon
DHP's dont need a dome they have a reflector built into the bulb which directs the heat down in a beam

Srmcclure

Hatchling Dragon
DHP's dont need a dome they have a reflector built into the bulb which directs the heat down in a beam
Ah! Cool beans then! I've never used one before my dragon so I wasn't sure. My tortoise uses a radiant heat panel for her enclosure and I've used CHE'S in the past before that

Badwolfe

Hatchling Dragon
Ah! Cool beans then! I've never used one before my dragon so I wasn't sure. My tortoise uses a radiant heat panel for her enclosure and I've used CHE'S in the past before that
yeah a lot of people seem to think that CHE's and DHP's are one and the same in how they work - they aren't :)

I only use UVB tubes and DHP's with my Dragon because with a decent day / night thermostat you don't need anything else. This also gives much more stable / natural light levels without the on / off / dimming of incandescent bulbs

Hadenuffyet

Juvenile Dragon
Just for looks I have a cloth tapestry with a desert scene on it stapled to the back wall of my enclosure. If the humidity drops a little it’s easy for me to mist it to hold some water for it to evaporate. Don’t use peel and stick vinyl decor because the glue will give off bad fumes when heated. Use an adhesive safe for reptiles.

Srmcclure

Hatchling Dragon
yeah a lot of people seem to think that CHE's and DHP's are one and the same in how they work - they aren't :)

I only use UVB tubes and DHP's with my Dragon because with a decent day / night thermostat you don't need anything else. This also gives much more stable / natural light levels without the on / off / dimming of incandescent bulbs
I have a dimmer switch on my basking light, but no thermostat. The dimmer keeps it perfect thankfully. There is a thermostat to the DHP though. I just bought a new one that let's me set day time and night time temps, but I haven't hooked it up yet. Directions are throwing me off and I have to get the time to sit and play with it lol. I like the type of heat the DHP gives off way more than a CHE, but I do keep a few just incase of emergencies. They are easier for me to get in a pinch.

Just for looks I have a cloth tapestry with a desert scene on it stapled to the back wall of my enclosure. If the humidity drops a little it’s easy for me to mist it to hold some water for it to evaporate. Don’t use peel and stick vinyl decor because the glue will give off bad fumes when heated. Use an adhesive safe for reptiles.
No adhesives here! Just plain old shelf liner on the floor, but no background. I've been thinking of what I'd like... I know they are from dry climates, but I'm really not a fan of tans or browns in furniture or paints... my color theme is the white and grays with pops of color. I'm on the hunt for something cute, but haven't found it yet lol

My humidity has actually been staying between 32-46% so we've been good so far. Plus he gets sprayed down every day and drinks a bit then, gets a bath a week and eats all his veggies. He's a good eater thankfully. I also mist his veggies to give him that added moisture just in case

Srmcclure

Hatchling Dragon
Quick question for everyone. My bearsies favorite spot to sleep at night is on top of his basking slate. Is that normal? He'll just kind of scratch around and turn around like a dog and plop down to sleep. Sometimes I'll love on him before bed and set him down at the entrance to his hide, which is right underneath the slate and He'll go in and sleep there, but so far not by choice. He seems to prefer the open space. He has 2 hides. One on both sides of the tank and both have soft blankies in there for him. But he doesn't seem to care. Overall behavior seems normal to me (not a whole lot of experience with beardies though) he eats veggies and all kinds of feeders actively, has the 105° basking for a
juvie, temp gradient in check, just won't 'hide' lol

He'll do like in the picture, only closer to the side wall or draping his chin and front leg over the side

Attachments

• 20220104_180909.jpg
    20220104_180909.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9

Badwolfe

Hatchling Dragon
Mine will always head to the cooler side of the vivarium once the lights go out and lies down similar to the way yours does. He will ocassionally sleep under the large piece of wood in that end but normally he just lies on the substrate pressed against the artificial rock wall at the rear of the viv. I suppose that gives him the feeling of security

Srmcclure

Hatchling Dragon
Mine will always head to the cooler side of the vivarium once the lights go out and lies down similar to the way yours does. He will ocassionally sleep under the large piece of wood in that end but normally he just lies on the substrate pressed against the artificial rock wall at the rear of the viv. I suppose that gives him the feeling of security
OK and I guess it might make a little more sense when I thought about it this morning. My house Gets really cold at night so I have that DP projector situated over my cool side So essentially my gradient flips. The thermostat on the projector is just set to go off when it hits 72, But that would keep that basking area at that point a little bit cooler than that

Here is a pic I snapped from this morning as he was getting waking up

Attachments

• 20220111_072106.jpg
    20220111_072106.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7

Badwolfe

Hatchling Dragon
Yowie has actually dug himself a little depression at the back of the viv. As soon as the lights go out he heads to it, lies down and is asleep within minutes. By the time i get up the following morning he's up on his basking branch warming up

Srmcclure

Hatchling Dragon
It's been a while so I thought update. He's shedding well, has already gone through a ton of that lol and he's definitely getting big
I actually didn't realize how fast that happened

20220115_181507.jpg
20220112_183119.jpg

He's waiting on his dinner

Badwolfe

Hatchling Dragon
It is! Makes me haply and sad lol. I do enjoy he is more 'cuddly' though as he's getting older , but apparently only to me. He still doesn't care for my husband and kid
hehe I used to have a fully grown male Green Iguana who was like that. If you were a guy he was perfectly fine, if you were a women then expect him to turn sideways and start whipping at you with his tail.

He was the most sexist lizard i have ever met haha

Pilf

Hatchling Dragon
Are you getting the 6.5 reading off the platform ? I would still get some piece of basking decor directly under that UVB --- and I would get it pulled out from the wall as well --- just a suggestion -- the heat projector is good -- another suggestion a digital probe hygrometer placed on the back center wall of the tank
Yes, I am far from being an expert but I would throw a log thin and curvy to allow your dragon to get closer to your UVB tube… even if off cantered from light it will allow her to get what she want…

Srmcclure

Hatchling Dragon
Yes, I am far from being an expert but I would throw a log thin and curvy to allow your dragon to get closer to your UVB tube… even if off cantered from light it will allow her to get what she want…
He's able to get within 5 inches of it now if he wants to. He goes directly under there sometimes, but he likes to spend most of his time on his 2nd basking rock by the front window of his enclosure so he can people watch. The uvb hits that area too, but it's a little lower. More like 10 inches away. Both of those basking temps are the same so I'm assuming he's choosing what he needs. He also has and areas in the lower 98- 90's and all the way down to 82 in his cave, so he has a wide range he can choose from