• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello everyone!

Srmcclure

Hatchling Dragon
Hi! My name is Sydney, and my family and I are the new owners of a (we're told) 3 month old bearded dragon named Peski! He has been lots of fun so far!

I've looked around on this site for proper care and I hope that I've done well I am also member of tortoise forum and have learned so much from there that I hope this will be the same

We have had him for a week now and just put him into his 4x2 enclosure today. He was in an exo terra before this that was ok, but not near what I thought he should have.

I'm here to learn! All help and knowledge is so welcome!

Thank you all!

Attachments

• 20211227_150406.jpg
    20211227_150406.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 22
  • 20211227_150700.jpg
    20211227_150700.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi! My name is Sydney, and my family and I are the new owners of a (we're told) 3 month old bearded dragon named Peski! He has been lots of fun so far!

I've looked around on this site for proper care and I hope that I've done well I am also member of tortoise forum and have learned so much from there that I hope this will be the same

We have had him for a week now and just put him into his 4x2 enclosure today. He was in an exo terra before this that was ok, but not near what I thought he should have.

Thank you all!
Welcome- peski is a cute name- basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- placed on the spot where he sits 105-110-- what are you using in the other dome? Peski needs a good uvb No coils- he needs a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med w/ a reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb or a sunblaster nano tech 24" fixture-- it should be inside the tank approx 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - this is imperative to his overall health and behavior

Srmcclure

Hatchling Dragon
Welcome- peski is a cute name- basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- placed on the spot where he sits 105-110-- what are you using in the other dome? Peski needs a good uvb No coils- he needs a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med w/ a reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb or a sunblaster nano tech 24" fixture-- it should be inside the tank approx 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - this is imperative to his overall health and behavior
Thank you!

My probes come tomorrow, but the temps are taken with my temp gun and I have a 2ft arcadia 12% uvb inside the tank above where he basks taken with my solar meter 6.5! There are no coil bulbs at all as I learned it's no good when I got my tortoise 2 years ago his temp on his basking slate depending on where you shoot it falls perfectly within the 105-110 range and I also have it on a dimmer just in case with other wattages in my collection as well! My uvb and basking are also on a 12 on 12 off timer

My house gets really cold at night so that dome houses an arcadia deep heat projector on a therm. To keep his night time heat between 65-70° with the rock slab under it to help radiate the heat

Hopefully I got everything

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Here is that other bulb!View attachment 31240
Are you getting the 6.5 reading off the platform ? I would still get some piece of basking decor directly under that UVB --- and I would get it pulled out from the wall as well --- just a suggestion -- the heat projector is good -- another suggestion a digital probe hygrometer placed on the back center wall of the tank

Srmcclure

Hatchling Dragon
Are you getting the 6.5 reading off the platform ? I would still get some piece of basking decor directly under that UVB --- and I would get it pulled out from the wall as well --- just a suggestion -- the heat projector is good -- another suggestion a digital probe hygrometer placed on the back center wall of the tank
Those probes are actually what are coming tomorrow I just had those to give me a general glancing idea.

Yea, I took it at the edge where he has been basking, but I can totally reposition it so it gets more of that area! I have been looking be a nice peice of wood to go in the middle area, so that'll work out perfectly once I get that makes total sense and an easy fix!
Thank you for the suggestions!

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon

Thank you all!
So handsome!! ❤

Badwolfe

Hatchling Dragon
Hi mate your enclosure looks fine. Only improvements I'd make to that set up is a longer UVB tube and a cage around the basking light. It's amazing how far beardies can jump and uncaged heat bulbs just always make me a little bit twitchy :)

Srmcclure

Hatchling Dragon
Hi mate your enclosure looks fine. Only improvements I'd make to that set up is a longer UVB tube and a cage around the basking light. It's amazing how far beardies can jump and uncaged heat bulbs just always make me a little bit twitchy :)
Thanks! I have actually moved the uvb tube to be positioned more over the basking platform, I just haven't updated with a pic yet
Also, the uvb tube is a 2ft arcadia 12%. I have an extra 3ft 12%, but I thought that might be too much uvb.... I also have a solarmeter 6.5 just in case.

And I actually just bought some new fixtures and decor, because I was planning on attaching all but the uvb to the top of the screen instead of inside because I was worried about that as well a bit. I'm used to owning tortoise and they obviously can't jump so it wasn't something I thought about until after I do have live cameras facing all my animals, but you never know!

Badwolfe

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks! I have actually moved the uvb tube to be positioned more over the basking platform, I just haven't updated with a pic yet
Also, the uvb tube is a 2ft arcadia 12%. I have an extra 3ft 12%, but I thought that might be too much uvb.... I also have a solarmeter 6.5 just in case.

And I actually just bought some new fixtures and decor, because I was planning on attaching all but the uvb to the top of the screen instead of inside because I was worried about that as well a bit. I'm used to owning tortoise and they obviously can't jump so it wasn't something I thought about until after I do have live cameras facing all my animals, but you never know!
your UV tube doesn't need a cage and is fine where it is. Its the basking bulb that supplies the heat in the form of IR that I would cage up. Your dragon could take it into their head to jump onto it and then you have to deal with burned feet if not something worse.

Srmcclure

Hatchling Dragon
your UV tube doesn't need a cage and is fine where it is. Its the basking bulb that supplies the heat in the form of IR that I would cage up. Your dragon could take it into their head to jump onto it and then you have to deal with burned feet if not something worse.
Yea, that's why I'm moving the basking and supplemental heating(dhp) outside the enclosure onto the top. He's a wild one and I don't need that to happen lol

Latest posts