• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heating

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Try another light. Sometimes it takes some times and experimentation to get it right. Try a 100 watt if that dont work you can try raising the level of the basking area or then try a 150 watt. Dont give up lighting is the hardest part to set up.

vince-n-tasha

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well i have two basking lights because when i only have one on the temp only gets to 80 and when i have both it gets up to 90 but wont get any hotter then that. I took some pics of my set up but not sure how to post it up, im new to the site. Is there maybe a particular basking bulb i should use? Right now i have "all living things" basking 75 watt bulb and also an infrared heat bulb and they are both on during the day to try n reach that necessary temp and at night i leave only the red heat bulb on.

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You just need one basking light. As for the red heat light I would not use that. The all living things is fine. Like I said id try a new higher wattage buld. Most fixtures go upto 100-150watt. If yours does not and you have your receipt you may be able to exchange. You do also need a good uvb buld though. Do you have one of them set up at the moment?

vince-n-tasha

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ya right now i have a reptiglo 10.0 24in fluorescent uvb light. I have it set up to where its shining on both the hot n the cool side. I just put a real big log in is tank to make it so he can go very close to the basking light (about 2-3 in from basking light), i put him up there and after about 10min he moved down about half way between the hot n cold side. Im guessing he got too hot? He is using the restroom regularly and hes eating about 20 crickets a day and i dust them w repti cal. Could my thermometer just be wrong? And would he know whether he needs hot or cool at this age? He's still a baby about 5 in from head to tail....

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Id get something with a heat prob that you can place on the surface of the basking spot to take a reading. It is possible that you are just not getting a good reading.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Please do not let your dragon get that close to the basking light. If its only 2 or 3 inches away, with that wattage bulb, it means the basking area is very hot, and you run the risk of it getting burned. Sounds like you may have a faulty thermometer. At that height the bulb should be getting the basking area incredibly hot, but that gauge wont tell you the proper temperature unfortunately.

Latest posts